S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Successful Strategy for getting a NEW soft top

Old 12-08-2004, 03:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Successful Strategy for getting a NEW soft top

WOOOHOOOOOO!! Hondacare just called me and told me that they would pick up 75% of the tab for a new softtop.

I have 66000 miles on the car, 3rd owner, no extended warranty, all service work done by an independent or me, car is immaculate aside from the developing softtop holes behind the windows.

Here was my technique

1. Don't bother with the dealership...
Why you ask? Because they are there to make money and the needs of the customer come secondary. If you try to negotiate with a dealer, you will drive yourself into a corner because they are PROFESSIONAL sellers. If the dealership says NO, Honda-care will have a harder time because a DECISION HAS ALREADY BEEN MADE. In the corporate world, Decisions are SUPPORTED so delay the decision as long as possible.
Honda-care on the other hand is staffed by CUSTOMER SERVICE representives whose job appraisals are based on different criteria than a profit-driven dealership. They will help you as long as you are not an ASS. Be Firm, on-point (don't ramble), Calm and Collected.

2.Call American Honda Customer Service at 1800-999-1009.
The whole point here is to get a complaint filed so they will assign you a helpdesk ticket (case number). Tell them that the dealership laughed at you when you brought it in and told them to replace the top because it had holes in it. Tell them you are a loyal Honda owner and rattle off all the honda's you own. FINALLY TELL THEM THAT HONDA SHOULD REPLACE THE TOP BECAUSE THE HOLES ARE DUE TO A DEFECT in DESIGN. Make sure you say the HOLES ARE DUE TO A DEFECT.

The guy answering the call is only a SCREENER and they are trained to DEFLECT your call. Make sure you get assigned a helpdesk ticket (case number).

3. The Customer svc rep will tell you to have your car checked out at a dealership(took a week before I got a call back). Make sure your car is SPOTLESS. They are looking for a reason to say the holes are caused by mistreatment.

When I got the call today, the cust svc rep told me that HONDA WAS NOT AWARE of this type of PROBLEM but as a gesture of GOODWILL, would ante up 75%. I told them that their DEALERSHIPS were taking a POUNDING on the net and I was glad that Hondacare stepped up to take care of me.

Other points to keep in mind:
The S2000 is Honda's FLAGSHIP car. You don't want raggetty cars driving around! It's BAD PR.
To counter the "It's nomal wear and tear" argument: My seats aren't worn through...why is the top? My ass is in the seat alot more than the top is employed.

GOODLUCK!
The following users liked this post:
tonyro56 (11-15-2021)
Old 12-08-2004, 04:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good for you! Are you getting a replacement soft top with a plastic or glass rear window? I would honestly hate having another plastic rear window knowing it can easily become distorted. I really need to call soon and see what I can do...
Old 12-08-2004, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

id also like to know if their giving you glass or plastic window my plastic one soooo cloudy
Old 12-08-2004, 04:45 PM

I don't have a problem with the plastic window. It's bigger and now that its gonna be brand spankin new, I won't have a problem keeping it clear and sparkling unlike my predecessors.

Once I get the new top I will reinforce all the weak points with black vinyl backing that I was gonna use on my present top anyways.
Old 12-08-2004, 05:14 PM

hum I wonder if that would work for the other problems the car has...although I doubt honda would continue to honor stuff like this if everyone started doing it.
Old 12-08-2004, 05:28 PM

It's obvious that Honda doesn't want to officially own up to this "defect". Telling me point blank that they have never ever heard of this problem speaks VOLUMES. If this was a safety issue it would have been recalled long ago. I really hope 100's of people call in tomarrow to show them how flagrant this issue really is.

IT NEVER HURTS TO ASK is my motto!
Old 12-14-2004, 09:28 PM

Dealership left a message for me today... TOP just arrived ...make appointment!
Calling in the AM to set it up. Yehaaaaaaa!
Old 12-15-2004, 12:30 PM

Total out of pocket for a new top w/labor & tax is $511. Couldn't schedule a install until Jan 3.

HAPPY NEW YEARS ALL!
Old 12-15-2004, 01:11 PM

Great to hear about the new top. I got rid of my car because Honda refused to do anything but patch up my top and that was just totally unacceptable. I had two holes wearing on both sides. I'm glad to hear that you got at least some "minor" justice. I still believe that Honda should just ante up and admit that the 00-02 tops sucked and replace the frame with the MY02+ frame. I didn't realize how bad the S2000's top sucked until I bought my My02 M3 Convertible. I keep forgetting it's a convertible when I drive it. And the materials are much higher quality. Honda should have made the top out of nicer mateials and made it a manual to keep costs low.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:43 PM

Hahah, glad to see someone else in this world knows how to properly 'handle' customer service people.

Nice job!

Quick Reply: Successful Strategy for getting a NEW soft top