S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

K&N S2000 FIPK Installation

Old 12-17-2004, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N S2000 FIPK Installation

Well I got the K&N FIPK yesterday that I purchased on E-bay. The company was quick with delivery and it was just as stated, a brand new Unit.

As I had mentioned before, I decided to insulate the airbox so I decided to take a few pix of the install for those who may be interested.

I have had the "Radmat" on my car pretty much since I first purchased it, and I decided to leave it on the way it was.

The box itself is pretty simple.

Prior to the install I insulated it with the same insulation that I used for the Radmat. I paid about 85 cents a foot at a local lumber yard for it.

Then I removed the old airbox and hoses.

And installed the new airbox and intake.

Here is the pix with the Radmat still on.

About the only snags I ran into was when mounting the airbox. It was very difficult to get my fingers into the back of the airbox to do up the nuts. What worked best for me was to leave the back mounting bolt out and finagle my hand into the back of the box to start the nut on the bolt and then to use a long and short extension back to back and get at it from the far side of the box.

Another thing is that you have to remove the horn to get the filter on the end. No big deal, just one bolt.

I also used the included ties a little bit differently than the installation guide suggested. I tied up the vacum line to the air control solenoid mount and also tied up the lines from the bottom to the mount already on the crossbeam.

I can take some pixs if anyone would like, but you will seem what I mean when you mount your own. It may be that the lines run a little bit different on the 2000-2003 model year S2000's.

It is an easy install and is completely reversible in about 30 minutes if needed. If I sell or trade the car I will probably take it off.

The sound of the intake is incredible, for nothing more it is worth it for me. It is a lower growl instead of the howl that you get when you remove the OEM airbox lid and really sounds great when in VTEC (it does howl a bit in VTEC, but with a really pleasant sound). I had expected an improvment in sound, but this is much better than I expected and a real plesant surprise.

The FIPK makes the S2000 sound like it should have stock and although I have no scientific data, the throttle response also seems to be much better, although it may be the placebo effect at play. It remains to be seen how it will work in the South Texas heat of June to October but for now I am very happy with the results.

I may do some tweaking of the insulation to make it more effective, but right now, I haven't seen the dreaded "bog" on acceleration from a stop. I had debated for a long time whether I should get the intake or a cat-back exhaust to improve the sound and am really impressed with the result, all for a lot less money than for the exhaust.

My next step is probably to replace the stock intake manifold gasket for the Hondata one, which from my reading, can really make a positive difference in high heat areas such as where I live, but that will probably be a project for the new year.

Oh yeah, did I mention the incredible sound?

Mi dos centavos
Old 12-17-2004, 02:03 PM

Looks great. If I ever get an intake, it'll probably be this one. However, I am waiting to see what happens with the roots blower.
Old 12-17-2004, 02:10 PM

Are the pics still up cause I cant see it. Do you have the link for the website you bought it from.
Old 12-17-2004, 02:11 PM

Zeniac,

This Radmat you mention...is that the product name? If I went to a hardware supply or similar store and asked for "Radmat", they'd know what I'm talking about? Is Radmat ahesive-backed?

Also, where the intake tube enters the heat-deflective "box", is there any rattling with the engine movement?

Thank you for your time,

Terry
Old 12-17-2004, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by PilotKD,Dec 17 2004, 05:03 PM
I am waiting to see what happens with the roots blower.
What have you heard about a roots blower for the S2000. I read a few things about it a while back but I haven't seen anything since. I would love to have a blower, however, being that I will be returning to school again this winter, I am on a limited budget and even the intake was tough to justify.
Old 12-17-2004, 02:30 PM

[QUOTE=RobG35,Dec 17 2004, 05:10 PM]Are the pics still up cause I cant see it.
Old 12-17-2004, 02:41 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Very nice write up and thanks for the info.A couple of quick questions
1)What's the air temp there now?
2)Do you plan on any chassis dyno runs?
Old 12-17-2004, 02:43 PM

[QUOTE=02NFR,Dec 17 2004, 05:11 PM]Zeniac,

This Radmat you mention...is that the product name?
Old 12-17-2004, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Popeye,Dec 17 2004, 05:41 PM
Very nice write up and thanks for the info.A couple of quick questions
1)What's the air temp there now?
2)Do you plan on any chassis dyno runs?
The weather has been quite cool and as I mentioned it probably isn't the best time to be testing for the heat "bog", however I will post a report once I get a chance to do some city driving in warmer weather.

There isn't a dyno available close by to me here in South Texas, however, there is an excellent report done by 850 with dyno runs stock, with airbox lid off and with the K&N FIPK as well as K&N's own dyno run. 850's report kind of confirms independently that there are gains but less than the 9.5hp advertized by K&N. Still impressive though for a simple intake change. Hopefully I won't see the dreaded bog in the warmer months.

Without OEM lid Hp: 197.3
Without lid Torque: 132.5

Stock Wheel Hp is : 199.8
Stock Torque is: 134.4

K/N System Hp is: 204.4
K/N system Torque: 141.0

The link to the thread is: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=69312
Old 12-17-2004, 05:09 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This thread is deserving of being in "Technical". Moving there now and also putting a link into the FAQs.

Quick Reply: K&N S2000 FIPK Installation