S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

What happens when you drive off a mountain?

Old 01-23-2005, 07:34 PM

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What happens when you drive off a mountain?

I came around a turn with my tail out just a widdle bit. I gassed to straighten it out, but it didn't and we continued to turn. Well, the turn started going the other way and my friend Danny in the passenger seat realized that I wasn't showing off my drifting skill. Straight ahead of us was a drop off and alot of trees. After we left the road, everything went silent except for the sound of car crashing through the trees. We pretty much jumped the end of the road and the nose took a dive into the valley after crashing through a tree. It then dug into the ground causing the back end to flip over the front and smash right on top of us. We were both buckled up, but even after we loosend the belts, we were mysteriously glued in the seats like we were strapped in (must have been the grippy suede I had installed). Good thing the top was down b/c we would have been trapped in it. The windows were rolled up unfortunately and escape was no easy task. I thought about smashing the window, but I was too close to it and didn't want to upset the car or create broken glass to crawl over. I managed to squeeze out between the window and the ground and looked back in to help Danny out. The first thing I thought was "Oh my god, Kat (who was following us in her S) is probably going nuts up there." I yelled back we were ok and tried to hike back up. Danny injured his wrist a bit and had some cuts and bruises on it. I was shaken, but not stirred. the wrecker pulled it out and since it was upside down it had to lift it straight up like a big fish that you catch while deep see fishing. After that I had to watch them flip it over crushing the only clean door left, I had just washed it yesterday too. After it was up, there was not one body panel not smashed. We hit hard enough when the car flipped for the center console to come undone from the clips at the back. I quickly gathered my things (shift knob, radar detector, etc.) and sent it on it's way.

The first official on the scene was the local law. The man looked exactly like George Bush! It could have been his twin. I wasn't sure of his political affiliation, so I didn't bother to bring it up. Now, being a guy with a not so southern accent, it was clear that I wasn't going to be eased up on in a "good 'ol boy" section of Georgia. The sheriff showed up to take my statements and it sounded like he was going to hard ball me the whole time. I quickly put on my southern draw and "splained" what happened. Luckily, no citations were given. Although, I really wasn't speeding. It was mostly the cold pavement plus cold tire combo.

After we all gave our statements, we had lunch at a Burger King then Kat took me to the tow place to pack up the rest. I scooped up my badges for souvenirs, put the top back up and said goodbye. believe it or not, even though the trunk was smashed in along with the front of the car, the doors and hood and trunk opened and closed with ease and with Honda precision. The front end was smashed past the radiator so the fact that it opened at all suprised me.

So there we were. Three people and one two seater. After fooling with the notion of cramming ourselves in, Kat took Danny back to his car (left due to bald tires) while I waited at Burger King. For the next two hours I watched as mentally challenged employees sang along to "I've had the time of my life" and watched how a kid got fired. And you know, at the end of the day you have to say to yourself. Yeah, I totaled my brand new S that I had just spent hours detailing the day before and pampered and upgraded and spent too much money on, but hey, atleast I never got fired from a fast food place. And that my friends, makes life a little sweeter.

...that and the fact that I'm not dead

Here are some shots:

We were really close to making all the cable customers very angry!

Luckily, the trees broke our fall

Forgot to turn off my lights. The left one was completely smashed, yet burned like new!

The wrecker pulling the car out:

Nothing some windex won't fix:

The catch of the day for the wrecker crew:

Good thing I had my clear bra on! Not a scratch on the front end!

That should buff right out. Atleast it looks better than the Amuse front bumper!

Anyway, we're all ok and not a scratch on me and very little to my friend. Warming up the tires is something that should never be neglected especially when there is gravel on the road. Needless to say, this car is built like a tank when it comes to wrecks like this. I'm very happy with it and am definitely getting another.

BTW, please no careless driving posts. I'm not a wreckless youth, just happened across a bad stretch of road and thought I'd share the experience.
Old 01-23-2005, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HOLY SHYT MAN!!!! I am glad your ok!!

-Alan
Old 01-23-2005, 07:42 PM

damn, glad to see that you came out ok. hope you get back in the saddle again.
Old 01-23-2005, 07:42 PM

wow. sorry to hear the bad news, but atleast your ok.
your taking this very well. hope everythiing work out!
Old 01-23-2005, 07:44 PM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Oh my aching god..... Holy shitake, man. Glad you're OK.
Old 01-23-2005, 07:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you're OK!! The chassis of the S2000 seems to hold up amazingly well in accidents.
Old 01-23-2005, 07:48 PM

Man Joe that's horrible, glad you and Danny are ok. I guess that really put a damper on the drive. That to see your S like that.
Old 01-23-2005, 08:07 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy shit man...i didnt expect it to pan out like that. glad your ok
Old 01-23-2005, 08:10 PM

I am so glad you guys didn't get seriously injured. These pics will forever haunt me and I will remember them the next time I want to take a spirited drive. I know it broke your heart, but I'm glad it didn't break your necks. I hope the best for you in your next S purchase!
Old 01-23-2005, 08:17 PM

Dibs on the centerconsole
im so glad u r ok
looks like my car a month ago.....

Quick Reply: What happens when you drive off a mountain?