S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

MOBIL 1 EXTENDED PERFORMANCE Motor Oils & Filters

Old 02-12-2005, 05:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MOBIL 1 EXTENDED PERFORMANCE Motor Oils & Filters

Mobil has come out with a new brand of oils that they are stating last from 5000-15000 miles!!! According to what I heard on TV, it says that they have new additives or cleaners that increase the life of the oil. Has anyone tried this oil or heard anything about it? Here is a link on it

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorO...erformance.aspx

Steve
Old 02-12-2005, 07:20 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TeamVirtuozity.com' date='Feb 12 2005, 07:59 AM
last from 5000-15000 miles!!!
I consider this to be marketing talk and a bit of "cover-my-ass" back pedalling. So which end of the spectrum will you choose? The 5000 miles end? Or the 15,000 miles end? We've documented proof here on the forum that even after 7500 miles, an oil analysis on "normal" Mobil 1 synthetic shows that there is still lots of service life left. We have a very high strung, complicated, and expensive engine. Do you really want to leave oil in there for 15K? Sure, go ahead and use it, but think twice before leaving it in there that long.
With reports of S2000 engines (and I'm not saying it's a lot), do you want to be one of those who turn up at a Honda dealer to try and get them to cover your grenaded engine AND have to respond to them when they ask why you didn't follow the recommended oil change interval as indicated in the owner's manual?
"But Mr. Service Manager, there was this new super-duper oil that was advertised that said I could go as far as 15,000 miles between changes." The last thing you may hear is Mr. Service Manager's door slamming behind you as it muffles his histerical laughter.
Old 02-12-2005, 07:31 AM

Interesting. I saw at Walmart yesterday- $24 for the 5 qt jug vs. $20 for the regular Mobil 1. I wasn't sure if it would be any better given my change intervals, so I bought the regular. Came back and searched S2ki and was surprised no one had mentioned it, I guess it must be really new.

Would love to hear more opinions of whether it is really better.

Peter
Old 02-13-2005, 05:58 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree with XViper - this seems to be more marketing than oil.
I especially like the line that states: ... you've never seen an oil like this ... that lasts 15,000 miles. Redline and Amsoil have been advertising extended drain intervals for years ... decades for Amsoil (25,000 mile + intervals).

Nevertheless, even though I use Amsoil, I rarely go more than 4,000 miles due to the way I drive my car. I know for a fact my oil still has lots of life in it when it's drained. That's insurance. Draining your oil at the point you know it's dead - is not.

Mobil 1 is a good oil and has been getting much better over the past 5 years. If you're a Mobil 1 fan, then stick with it. If you want to spend $1 more a quart for the newest thing and you think there's benefit in it, go for it. I personally like to let the dust settle on a new product before trying it.
Old 02-13-2005, 01:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good beater oil
Old 02-14-2005, 05:57 AM

Sounds like Mobil is trickling down the heavy duty over-the-road oil formulas to the DIY market.

Mobil has had Delvac-1 for a while. Designed for OTR diesels, it is also a gasoline rated 5W-40 "SL" oil with container advertising "up to 100,000 mile OCI".

In all fairness, OTR guys run special by-pass filters which they change way before 100 k mi, and they run OA regularly. But following those parameters, they do leave oil in the sump for what seems like an eternity.

New Porsche's have 2 year / 15Kmi OCI, so high performance and long OCI is possible.

However, I agree that you must follow the manufacturer's recommendation until well out of warranty, or you risk a possible battle with an oil related warranty claim.

Regards
BD
Old 02-14-2005, 06:30 AM

I saw the 5 quart jug at walmart too... but it was the only variety of mobil 1 in the 5 quart that they had. The 1 quart bottles were still the regular mobil 1 stuff though. I didn't pay really close attention, but I assumed since the new stuff said mobil 1 that it was still synthetic. Is this correct???
Old 02-14-2005, 06:41 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

The engine oil may last that long, but it's still going to get just as dirty as any other oil in a given time period. The oil may last, but the filter doesn't... Changing oil is pretty cheap, and I see little benefit in the bigger picture of maintenence about extending oil changes to 10K plus. This isn't a big rig.
Old 02-14-2005, 07:14 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol' date='Feb 14 2005, 08:41 AM
The engine oil may last that long, but it's still going to get just as dirty as any other oil in a given time period. The oil may last, but the filter doesn't... Changing oil is pretty cheap, and I see little benefit in the bigger picture of maintenence about extending oil changes to 10K plus. This isn't a big rig.
Finally, someone with a bit of common sense. I'm looking into my crystal ball and what do I see? ............................
Someone is going to use a "new, super-duper" oil that claims to last 50,000 miles. Being a frugal person at heart, Mr. Lazy-Cheapskate opts to go with this oil in his S2000. Becoming complacent with this LOOOOOOONG lasting oil, he also negects checking the oil level and thinks to himself, "If the oil can last this long, the filter must be good for that long too". Reaching the 1500 mile mark after this change, his oil level sinks to below the add, but is never checked. Reaching the 5000 mile mark, the oil level gets down to about 2 qts in the pan, but since this oil is so good, he continues to drive without any ill effects. Another few thousand miles of VTECing goes by and there is no oil left in the pan, the oil light has been on for the last couple of thousand miles, but Mr. Lazy-Cheapskate mistakes this for some irrelevent "idiot" light and keeps driving. Once his engine is torn down, they discover sludge everywhere, the filter completely clogged BUT the few remaining drops of his "super-duper" oil is in "AS NEW" condition. What a GREAT oil that was.

(It's not how long lasting a given oil is for an S2000. It's the mentality it gives to the owner using it that scares me.)
Old 02-14-2005, 08:18 AM

you know what? why don't we just follow the old fashion way, mobil 1 synthetic, 3000 miles or 3 months whichever comes first, the safe way and the best way to take care of your baby's heart!

Quick Reply: MOBIL 1 EXTENDED PERFORMANCE Motor Oils & Filters