S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

ImportSport's Sig Suppressor

Old 03-17-2006, 07:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ImportSport's Sig Suppressor

Based on numerous PM's I have decided to make a question and answer thread. This thread will ultimately contain all the information regarding the modifications done to my car.

I purchased the car in the spring of '04 having never previously owned a convertable but knowing very well that the drivability of the S2000 would more than make up for any inconvienences of life with a softtop. Soon after purchasing the car I quickly found out that I, quite frankly, had no clue how to drive. Life with FWD had completely raised me in a manner that made me incompotent behind the wheel of a RWD car. So, before I killed myself and probably a few other people I began to AutoX and learn my way around a RWD and what it takes to be a smart driver who can drive for fun but with respect for their own limitations.

Color: Berlina Black
Year: 2001

Modifications:

Engine Rebuild
J's Racing Carbon Fiber Cold Air Intake
Mugen Pressure Plate
Hondata Gasket
Mugen Oil Cap
BBS LM 18x8 Front 18x9.5 Rear, Custom Machined Lip
BridgeStone S0-3 Pole Positions
Power Slot CadmiumPlated Slotted Rotors
Cobalt GT-Sport brake pads
Zeal Function B6 Coilovers
Gendron Lower Sway Bar
Authentic Amuse Lip
Cleared Headlights
AP2 Center Console and Radio Door
Muz Floor Mats, Roof Mat, and Window Pad
Voodoo Counter Sunk Shift Knob

Photos:

Old 03-17-2006, 07:54 AM

Old 03-17-2006, 08:01 AM

The BBS LM:

The LM is a classic wheel, well regarded by auto enthusiasts of all kinds. BBS is known for their quality of craftsmanship, while maintaining a reserved and typically understated appearance.

Sizes: The typical fitment for the Honda S2000 is offered by www.tirerack.com and of course through other distributors. The sizing is an 18x8 in the front and an 18x9.5 in the rear.

Tires sizes: Suggested tire sizing includes a 225/40/18 in the front and a 255/35/18 in the rear. You can go 265/35/18 in the rear but you will need to roll your rear fenders to avoid rubbing.

Offsets: 50 front 55 rear

Weight: The LM is considered a lightweight wheel for the size. Weights are: 21.7 pounds (front) and 22.3 pounds (rear).

My review: As mentioned the build quality of the LM is top notch. You may not notice some of the fine touches seen in wheels from Fiske or HRE but these are a top shelf product. The center piece is made from forged aluminium and the lips come in a bight machined finish. BBS makes a few different versions of the center cap which you can probably order from various distributors. See ILL roller's car for an example of the silver center caps.

The fitment of these wheels transforms the way the car looks. In these sizes and offsets the wheel perfectly fills the wheel well and from a side profile shows just enough rubber past the body panels to give that aggressive look that people want from a wider wheel. The stance from behind the car is amazing, it simply looks ready to pounce. The way these wheels make the car look is something that I simply cannot ignore. It's just something that really brings the car to another level.

In terms of performance there is one word that best describes the feel of the car with LM's "planted". The car feels attached to the ground, part of this is the contact patch from the tires and another portion is the added weight from the wheels. So this maybe viewed as both a positive and negative aspect of the wheels. For those of us who see wheels like the Volk CE28 on a regular basis these are very heavy wheels and the weight does make a significant performance difference.

As an example I drove for a few weeks on a set of TE37's in 17x7.5F, 17x9R. See the picture below:

There was a substantial difference between these wheels and the LM's. Both sets offer a great contact patch but the TE's are a conservative 8 pounds lighter per wheels. The change in performance was immediately noticable. The car was quicker off the line and more prone to wheel spin, the corner response was also lightened. Meaning that I was able to bring the back end around much more easily even with a similar contact patch. These wheels did not offer some of the confidence that the LM brings with it's weight. It just seems that the rotation is much more linear and predictable with the extra weight.

Would I prefer a lighter wheel? Yes.
Can I find a lighter wheel that looks this good? No.
Is the added weight worth the joy of seeing these wheels each day? Without a doubt.

All of my experience with the LM's and Volks has been on Bridgestone SO-3's. An excellent tire with impressive warm/dry handling and even more impressive wet handling. They wear fast and there are better dry tires, but there are not many options that can keep you safe when stuck in a substantial rain.
The following users liked this post:
Grip Hrd (04-24-2017)

The J's racing Tsuchinko intake:

First off, it must be said that the OEM intake is extremely efficent. You are not going to see a big difference with any intake on this car.

The J's intake is a full CF cold air intake which uses a cone filter. The bulbous part of the intake is the Tsuchinko chamber which to make things simple causes the intake charge to change in pressure and swirl in a manner which may increase efficiency of fuel/air mixture.

The install of the intake system is fairly involved. You must cut the OEM hood, the plastic air dam, and the front grill of the bumper. For each of these I simply used a dremel with a generous supply of cut-off wheels. Then entire install took me about 6 hours. I was very careful and slow with all of my cuts measuring then taping each section to insure that I would be cutting in an accurate and safe manner. I also made sure to wear eye protection and a mask while cutting the hood, which threw off substantial aluminium flakes and dust.

The intake definately improves throttle response. It also makes the car feel more lively when at speed. It just never feels like there is a shortage of air especially on the highway, the throttle response is always right where you want it to be. Now this is a very subjective overview and I dont have any dyno plots to support what I'm saying. But at the same time, notice that I'm not touting any HP gain, do I think there was a gain...? Maybe. Maybe not. But it was an improvement, no doubt.

The build quality and finish of the CF is georgeous. It makes the engine bay a sight to behold. Once the intake is in place it feels like an extension of the car, the mounting and fitment is A+.

Gendron Sway Bar: Product Page

Especially for the AP1 increasing the rigidity of the lower sway bar can dramatically change the handling characteristics of the car. There are basically 3 primary options for the S2000 when choosing an adjustable swaybar.

-Comptech Adj
-Saner Adj
-Gendron Adj

Each of these is an excellent product which I would highly reccomend. The Gendron is offered by a small company out of New England who has "for me" displayed excellent customer service. It took me almost a full year to get my suspension settings exactally where I wanted them. I have probably adjusted the settings or removed this bar about 20 times in the quest to find my ideal suspension balance. After picking up my Zeals, I spent some quality time to find exactally the setting I prefered with my LM's which has the Gendron bar at full stiff. I currently find that the car is amazingly neutral with a slight tough of understeer while I have viritually removed the oversteer present in the car when I first started to AutoX.

Zeal B6 Functions:

I've been very impressed with the Zeals. They are pretty well respected as a quality coilover but I really did not know what to expect before installing them. The Zeal is not a very aggressive coilover. It's a very predictable and reliable coilover but you wont get the spring rates or solid dampening that you see in a less expensive but more aggressive setup like the Buddyclubs or the Tein RA's. This makes for what is still a harsh ride but not jarring like some of the more aggressive systems. I also tend to feel that the softer spring rate gives me more room for error. I am by no means a great driver and the ability to feel weight transition through the suspension is something that I tend to find offers me with a good amount of information on how the car is going to handle various corners. I would recommend these to anyone interested in a coil over that is livable but performs extremely well.

Power Slot Cad Plated Rotors and Cobalt GT Sport Pads

I put the rotors and pads on at the same time, along with Motul brake fluid. The main thing that I can say after these mods is that the OEM brakes for the S2000 are extremely good. Swapping pads to something more aggressive is really all you need for the vast majority of situations including track days, depending of course on the length of the track.

I really do not see a convincing reason, other than looks, to invest in new rotors for the S2000. The Powerslots wore just as fast, if not faster, than my OEM rotors and offered no perceptual change in performance. Now seeing the slots is cool, but the rotors are pricey and in my opinion not worth the investment.

Brake pads on the other-hand are a different story. A pair of aggressive pads will put your passanger against the windshield in an instant. Which is always good for a laugh or three

Specific to the Cobalt pads, these are VERY dirty, and noisy. Your car will essentially sound like a bus coming to a stop and they kick up so much dust that you basically just need to back out of the garage to make your wheels a shade darker. Also be aware that brake dust in these amounts turns into a nightmare when it gets wet. I'm talking hours and hours of cleaning to get the resulting acidic coating off my wheels after a wet weekend.

I still have the pads and swap them out for races and events but do not drive them every day on the street, they are simply too high maintainence.

Authentic Amuse Lip Spoiler

Not much to be said here. This is a well established and documented product. The fitment is perfect. The spoiler is fiberglass, so that means it's slightly more fraglie although I tend to be very cautious while parking etc, and have never actually damaged the spoiler. It is prone to picking up rock chips due to it's height and location. In all it's a great looking addition to the car. If possible I always suggest going with an authentic piece.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:02 AM

Mugen Pressure Plate

When I purchased the car I noticed the very well documented clutch rattle on deceleration. I approached a few local dealers regarding this TSB but was promptly told that there was bascially zero chance any of them would honor it. No surprise, our Nashville dealers are most typically less than impressive. Unless you are giving them a significant amount of money, then they are all extremely helpful.

The rest of the clutch package is still OEM. I did not opt for a lightened flywheel at this time, although in retrospect I wish I had done this as well.

I'm sure that the end result of this addition is similar to the ACT package. The pressure plate gives a strong and very solid feel to the clutch. The friction is the same as before but the pedal is slightly heavier and which feels more confidence inspiring. In all I have been very happy with this modification and would suggest it to anyone looking for a great upgrade to your OEM clutch while still maintaining a very drivable weight and amount of friction.

Hardtopguy offers a package which includes the ACT pressure plate. If you are looking to purchase a new clutch package I would reccomend going with this setup.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:07 AM

I will continue to update this thread with more reviews. Please let me know if you have any questions or if you see errors in my comments.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gorgeous car, tasteful and carefully chosen mods and a great write up. Thank you for sharing!

Craig
Old 03-17-2006, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow

Beautiful car

Quick Reply: ImportSport's Sig Suppressor