S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Solution for a "RINGING" Shifter

Old 01-07-2002, 08:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those experiencing a "ringing" in the shifter during decel and accel, I have a solution for you. It is very simple and takes about 30 minutes.

The symptom is a ringing sound that can be isolated to the shifter. As the ringing is occurring if you gently push the shifter to the left or right the ringing will go away. If you are experiencing this then do the following:

1. Go to your Honda Dealer and pick up some HONDA UREA GREASE. It is a HIGH TEMP Grease.
2. Remove the shifter, you will need to remove the shift knob (14mm nut), center console (just pull up from the back gently), the inner boot ring (there are 4 clips each marked with an arrow or tick on the white ring itself), You will need a small screwdriver to slide down the side of the clip to release it. Lift out the inner boot and white ring.
3. Use a pair of pliers to grab the rubber seal that covers the 3 bolts that hold down the shifter. There is a tab on the front side (side closest to the dash) that you can grab on to and pull up.
4. Remove the 3-10mm bolts, these are torqued down to 8.7lbs so they should break loose real easily. Careful to not drop the bolt.
5. Remove shifter, on the bottom you will notice a nylon cap. GREASE the bottom of the shifter both the outside and inside of the nylon cap.
6. Put it all back together.

After you do this, your shifter will not flop around anymore and your ringing should be gone.

This is different than TSB-54 (buzzing during decel). Typically when you get your car back from getting TSB-54 done, there might be some shifter ring. If you let your dealer know to regrease your shifter when they put it back together this should eliminate the ringing.
Old 01-07-2002, 09:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Excellent job, Keith! Did you figure this out yourself? How long did the job take, and did you need any specialized tools?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SilverSurfer
[B]
Old 01-07-2002, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my shifter ringing went away after i put on the voodoo knob.
Old 01-07-2002, 09:13 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DJ Qube
[B]Excellent job, Keith!
Old 01-08-2002, 07:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm just back from the dealer. I've got the 'ringing', plus worse noise problems at high rpm (>8000). I did mention the grease. Whatever, the did worked for about 20 miles, then the problems returned. So I've now the problems, while running a -55 spec clutch. I've posted more details at the end of this thread. (Warning - it's along thread, not all about this problem.)

Honda UK Tech. have been advised. I'm now waiting for the next action. The clutch/grease was the second attempt at a fix. If I have any success, I'll be sure to post over here as well.

SilverSurfer - my fingers are crossed that you're car stays fine

-Brian.
Old 01-08-2002, 08:26 AM

Originally posted by bmarshall
I'm just back from the dealer. I've got the 'ringing', plus worse noise problems at high rpm (>8000). I did mention the grease. Whatever, the did worked for about 20 miles, then the problems returned. So I've now the problems, while running a -55 spec clutch. I've posted more details at the end of this thread. (Warning - it's along thread, not all about this problem.)

Honda UK Tech. have been advised. I'm now waiting for the next action. The clutch/grease was the second attempt at a fix. If I have any success, I'll be sure to post over here as well.

SilverSurfer - my fingers are crossed that you're car stays fine

-Brian.
Hey Brian, I am positive the ringing is caused by the nylon cap vibrating and rattling. In the helms it indicates to grease the shifter. Now, I have found that if you DO NOT grease both the outside and inside the noise will return. davepk did his over the weekend and he had the ringing throughout his rpm range and now he doesnt have any ringing. He greased both the inside and outside. Me on the other since it was my first attempt, didnt grease the outside hence, i still get a little ringing at 5200rpm. I will take it apart again and make sure I grease both sides. I have driven my car for over 200 miles since I regreased and the ringing has not gotten any worse.
Old 01-08-2002, 09:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SilverSurfer
[B]

Hey Brian, I am positive the ringing is caused by the nylon cap vibrating and rattling.
Old 01-08-2002, 10:11 AM

Originally posted by bmarshall

Thanks - the car's in for a service very soon, and I'll mention this again, being specific about greasing both. However I've also got another (worse) noise at high rpm, that isn't stopped by pressure on the shifter. At least it looks like one can be solved easily

Thanks,
-Brian.
I hope all works out for you.
Old 01-08-2002, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent post, SilverSurfer.
Old 01-08-2002, 06:41 PM

Originally posted by honda_s2k
Excellent post, SilverSurfer.
Thanks honda

Quick Reply: Solution for a "RINGING" Shifter