S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

DIY: Trunk Swap

Old 01-09-2007, 06:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DIY: Trunk Swap

I swapped trunks out a couple weekends ago with s2000 x and did not see a DIY for it on the board. Even though it is super simple, here it is...

1. Disconnect the rear brake light and trunk release connectors. Needlenose pliers work very well for this step.

2. Pull the wire loom out of the trunk as far as the trunk arm mounting bolts. Remove these two bolts (10mm, I believe) from either side (4 bolts total). WARNING: the trunk is free from the car after removing these bolts! Make sure you have someone taking the weight off the trunk or padding under the corners to prevent damage to your paint.

3. Remove and swap key cylinders: remove the two bolts (10mm, I believe) and un-hook the latch rod.

4. Install the key cylinder and trunk in the reverse order. The wire loom is easily fished back up through the trunk under its own stiffness. Make sure to leave the 4 trunk arm bolts loose as you align the trunk to the body panels.

5. Swapping trunk springs. We did not feel the need to swap springs, as we were both happy with how the trunks felt. If you do, I found this method of removal and installation to be cake. Make sure you take note of how the springs are twisted before you remove them. I used a punch in this photo, but a large screw driver would work just as well:

6. Swapping VIN stickers. I am not sure what the legality of this was, and, in addition, they were tricky to remove even with razor blades, so they were left as is on our swap. If it comes down to it, they are just stickers, and the swap should be doable with the right tools and patience.

7. Enjoy your new trunks
Old 01-09-2007, 06:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice write up, im about to go CF on the trunk so thats very helpful info
Old 01-12-2008, 07:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great write up. I was hoping there was something like this out there. About to swap trunks with someone that has an OEM spoiler and doesn't want it any more. Thanks....
Old 01-12-2008, 08:00 AM

Tom you da man.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:18 PM
Former Moderator

Received 287 Likes on 266 Posts

Added to the FAQ/DIY
Old 01-13-2008, 01:03 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The odds of this thread are crazy. I JUST did this. For the exact same reason with the exact same freakin NFR's!
Old 01-13-2008, 05:26 AM

sweet, thanks. DYI's come in handy
Old 12-09-2009, 10:00 AM

Bringing this one back from last year. I posted in the "under the hood" section about my carbon fiber trunk install.

Here is what happened. We took of the OEM trunk lid, removed the spring ect.

Then we had to modify the latch to take off the "safety release" very minimal changes, just removed that little part.

Bolted everything back together, checked for fitments and the CLOSED the trunk

Now my trunk will NOT open at all , the button works, you can hear it making noise and trying to open, but no matter how much we pushed pulled and hit the trunk release button, it WILL NOT OPEN.

What can I do, and why did this happen???
Old 12-09-2009, 10:38 AM
Former Moderator

Received 287 Likes on 266 Posts

Whatever you modified on the latch has damaged it.

The easiest way in the trunk now will would be cutting a hole from the outside, but you probably dislike doing that.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:39 PM

you can put your top down about half way and remove all the plastic panels that are behind it and reach back in there to release it. if your small enough you can get in there with a flashlight and take the latch off the trunk. it's not comortable but i did it. I had to cause i forgot to hook up the electrical part to the release, and had a cf trunk with no key hole.

the reason it prob isn't opening is becuase you took the springs off they are what make the trunk "pop" open have someone pull up on the trunk at the same time as you hit the button.

Quick Reply: DIY: Trunk Swap