S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

SC Ap2 vs 99 Camaro SS

Old 05-10-2007, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC Ap2 vs 99 Camaro SS

System went down this afternoon, so a work buddy and I hit a side road for a quick comparo.

He recently bought a low mileage 99 camaro SS and added an intake and exhaust last night. I'm running a Comptech SC & lightened flywheel, 4.57 gears, mugen header, and VFAC2 with vtec at 5,100. With my wheel, tire and suspension setup, I have zero traction issues.

We did three runs from around 10 to 15 mph and killed it around 80. Pretty much even each time. My runs were perfect and the same each time. No mishifts, no rev limiter bounce, no tire spin, etc. He had a slight mishift 2 to 3 on the 2nd run, with only a small effect on that outcome.

Each time I had a slight edge from start to around 50 and then he pulled slightly back. At no time were we more than a quarter of a car off.

After researching and finding his car does around 13.5 in the quarter stock, and even with his mods, I was expecting to pull on him. Assuming my car should be doing low 13's (at least based on posts here), could his car have benefited that much from his mods, am I expecting too much from my setup, or am I not as good as I think I am (hehe - please don't pick this one!)?

He's getting 4.10 gears soon and I'm boosting to 7lbs and getting a tune, so it will be interesting to see how we do after that. I was going to 10lbs but had to scale it back.

No vids this time, but next time we'll have a vid with our mods and my other buddy's modded S4.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:42 PM
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Cool. Be sure to post some vids after you guys run again. I have been wondering how quick the SS F-body actually is.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:27 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by visser,May 10 2007, 02:14 PM
Assuming my car should be doing low 13's (at least based on posts here), could his car have benefited that much from his mods, am I expecting too much from my setup, or am I not as good as I think I am (hehe - please don't pick this one!)?
Comptech with stock boost is probably around 13.4-13.6 with a non-professional driver. I know everyone and their mother will tell you cracking into 12s on stock boost is the norm and that stock S2000s routinely get down to 13.7s....

But unless you're nailing the shifts perfectly, expect to be about even with a 13.5 second car when you're stock boosting.

There is a reason that Comptech's own car with 7psi upgrade only tested out to 13.3 in the Car and Driver Challenge. It didn't have as aggressive of a gear ratio, but did lower the VTEC crossover point... you would think those guys would get as much out of it as possible....
Old 05-10-2007, 03:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

also, the start of 10-15 mph is hardly helping you, on my car, ap1, VTEC in first isn't till over 20 mph, as I recall...

Oh, but you did say you lowered VTEC to 5100, were you in VTEC at that low of a speed?
Old 05-10-2007, 04:28 PM

True, but at 15mph I believe I'm already around 5K rpm, so I hit my vtec point almost instantly and was moving pretty quick from the start. And with 4.57's you're shifting from 1st pretty soon.

Sounds like the outcome was to be expected. Sure wish I could with my original 10lb plan. Maybe in a couple of years.

Not sure how professional you've got to be when starting from a roll. Not much skill there other than (in my case) not missing second (my most common error, even after a tranny fuild change helped a lot), holding it long enough before redline without overreving, and shifting fast enough to stay in vtec. I have enough traction and not enough power to break the tires from a roll, so there's not much finesse needed while in the lower gears. I'm no expert, but I've been dragging this car a lot over the years, mostly from a roll (typically alone for fun). I rarely drag from a standstill but have done it and I feel that's a lot more challenging and probably has more effect on outcomes.

I hope his 4.10's don't put him past my 7lbs. I'll never hear the end of it.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:41 PM

Yeah those years have the LS1 engine putting out like 320 hp. They are quick cars because that is the same engine they put in the corvettes for those years. They do respond well to mods also
Old 05-10-2007, 04:51 PM

intake and exhaust on a SS adds a good 25-30 horsepower, so no your cars not slow. Given both your mods I'd say your both high 12 second cars, anywhere from 12.7-12.9. also 4.10's are gonna help him a lot more then you upping the boost to 7 lbs. in the rematch I think he wins by a 1 car length.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:56 PM

I believe he'll stop at the 4.10's and not mod for awhile. If he ever goes further with the mods, it could prompt me to add more as well. Kinda like the mutually assured destruction principle (hopefully without the destruction).

Actually, it's the same with our bikes. He got a VFR. Then I got a VFR. Then I got an 04 GSXR 750, so he got the bike I stewed over but rejected due to insurance, an RC51. But he waited a year and got the black one, adding ever freakin' option he could; sweet bike and I'm jealous.

But I love my bike and just added 5 hp with a tune and have 130 at the wheels now, so, given my lower weight, I should be faster than his (hehe - who freakin' cares on modern sport bikes because they're all fast). I actually got the tune for driveability, but everything we do seems like a contest.

But back on topic, I can live with the results of our little comparo...for now.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by J_inDA_s2k,May 10 2007, 07:51 PM
intake and exhaust on a SS adds a good 25-30 horsepower, so no your cars not slow. Given both your mods I'd say your both high 12 second cars, anywhere from 12.7-12.9. also 4.10's are gonna help him a lot more then you upping the boost to 7 lbs. in the rematch I think he wins by a 1 car length.
[QUOTE]

Ouch...1 car? Even if I gain a bit from the tune? I'm not tuned now. Well, actually, self tuned. I had a serious lean spot right at 5k rpm when I added the header - I only adjusted around that area. Car runs fine and plugs look great but I want it tuned correctly.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:04 PM

thats just my prediction and honestly I dont know shit lol, well I only know what I read and a ss with 410's is gonna move out in a hurry, stock I think 6 speeds are 373's or something like that so basically its the same as you upgrading to 457's. a dyno tune could really bring your car to life and I wish you luck in the rematch hope you win.

Quick Reply: SC Ap2 vs 99 Camaro SS