The S2000 Gallery Cornucopia of sight and sound! Show your friends your S2000 photos, S2000 images, S2000 photochops and S2000 videos.

When I'm not driving my s2k...

Old 03-19-2009, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink When I'm not driving my s2k...

Some of you might remember my GT4 cockpit few years back. Last year GT5P came out and I decided that my old cockpit just wasn't cutting it anymore.

Last summer vacation, I redesigned and built another cockpit that addressed a few complains I had with the previously one and also to accommodate for the G25 steering wheel. Due to time limitations, I was able to finish the frame, it was usable but it was still missing a few things I wanted.

Many months later, I took advantage of spring break this past week to finish it up and I am finally satisfied with this thing. Been playing with it non-stop and I'm sure some of you here who play GT would find it interesting.

Similar to my previous cockpit, steering wheel, pedal, shifter, and sitting positions were replicated off our cars. Except this time the hand brake lever isn't made out of hot water pipe .

Home made CF handbrake cover.

The button below the shifter enables clutch, I just don't like pushing those tiny black buttons on the shifter.

Shift knob remains stock (for now), the shifter unit has been modified so it requires about 2-3 times the force compare to stock to pull out/into gear and push down into reverse.

Upside-down mounted pedals, blacked out pedal arms, and homemade CF dead pedal. (took the shape from my AP2, but I traced/cut it backwards by accident, so I flipped it upside down and kinda like how it looks )

These are the only pictures I have at the moment, I'm super excited and just wanted to share with you guys. There are a few more mods I might do in the future.

Likely to attempt soon:
- replace the original knob to a heavier metal knob (shouldn't be too hard).

Less likely to do anytime soon:
- replace the Logitech steering wheel with a real steering wheel.
- modified the shifter unit even more, fabricate a longer rod, less tilt in the shifter but keep the same stroke like our cars.

I have also been experimenting and working on (on and off due to school) similar level of DIY/fabrication projects for my car in the past months, Though none are presentable (at least to my standards) at the moment .

edit: spelling error

added:
Here's a video of me test-playing when I put together the frame for the first time. I'll probably make another video soon
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ5JA7-rl4I [/media]

added 03/22:
Video of the completed cockpit in action
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf1NoHS2TA4 [/media]

Small Update: 7/13/09
DIY shiftboot replacement with red stitching!

My sister bought an industrial sewing machine. Of course my curiosity took over and started playing with it. Decided to make a new shiftboot with red stitching for the G25, wasted tons of vinyl (good thing they were left overs) trying to find the ideal shape and surprisingly didn't sew my fingers to the table. I'm pretty satisfied with how it turned out, it looks a little funny because the foam-backed vinyl I used was definitely too thick for shiftboots. Maybe I'll make some alcantara pieces for my car next.

Original shiftboot.

The replacement:

Old 03-19-2009, 01:10 PM

now you need an s2k seat lol looks awesome! I wanna do that but im gonna make the switch to ps3 first so I can get the g25. how do you like it?
Old 03-19-2009, 01:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SIIIIICCKK!!!

How much did the materials run you? and how long did you work on it?

I want to make something similar when the full version comes out.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:13 PM

G25 is amazing, what set it apart from other wheels (besides the obvious features) is that it uses dual motor for force feedback instead of reduction gears. When the car goes into over steer the steering wheel does not become super heavy when counter steering.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is badass!!!
Old 03-19-2009, 01:24 PM

man that is bad ass, you even got an arm rest, even better built than the arcade machines
Old 03-19-2009, 01:24 PM

amazing!!

n00b question about the G25 - do you actually have to push the clutch in to shift (i.e., what happens in-game if you shift gears w/o engaging the clutch)? or is the clutch pedal more for just effect?
Old 03-19-2009, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by BerlinaBlackS2kguy,Mar 19 2009, 01:24 PM
amazing!!

n00b question about the G25 - do you actually have to push the clutch in to shift (i.e., what happens in-game if you shift gears w/o engaging the clutch)? or is the clutch pedal more for just effect?
Thanks for the compliments.

G25 is fully supported by GT5P (although it's not officially advertised). Currently with GT5 Prologue, at the beginning of each race, you would have enable to clutch by pressing triangle (I wired it to the extra large black button below the shifter). If you do not clutch right when its enabled, the in game car would stay in neutral and would not go into gear till you clutch in, pull it out of whatever gear your stick is in back into neutral, and re-engage. It's pretty picky about your clutch timing since the last update, so you can't get away with sloppy shifting.

shy_guyAP1, I wish i could tell you how much I've spent, but because the amount of stuff needed (lot of trial and error) I sort of lost track a long time ago. But it sure wasn't cheap since I had to buy a lot of tools as well.

Construction time I would say around 200 hours total. Again, lot of trial and error.

Call me weird if you will, but building it was almost as fun as playing it.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:40 PM

I can imagine, I just don't have the time..... maybe this summer I'll try something.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats badass!

Quick Reply: When I'm not driving my s2k...