S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

J's racing resonator rattle

Old 07-02-2009, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up J's racing resonator rattle

Hey guys, i know this is a common problem, my j's 60rs resonator is rattling, i thought these exhuasts were engineered and designed to withstand abuse, or at least daily driving.. Am i the only one upset about this???..

You buy a $1500+ and a few months later the resonator is rattling and your beautiful exhuast sounds like a cherry bomb from wal-mart..

Is there anything we can do about this contact j's etc..? i love the sound of the exhuast and look etc.. but this is just ridiculous. I would love to boycott or at least complain and get our money back or resonators replaced. lets make a list of people who have had this problem just to prove my point.. let me know how you feel about it. /End Rant
Old 07-02-2009, 04:07 PM

I have the same issue. I tried to find out if you can get a new resonator from them but never heard back. I'm just going to get mine repaired. I have the Non-FX version without the stabilizing plate for the resonator. Just by picking it up and feeling it flex I knew something bad was going to happen inside of it.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:13 PM

Here's a thread i started a while ago... click here

IMHO - these are not engineered and designed to withstand daily driving... these are race parts and are sold as such... they are EXTREMELY light weight.
When Chris had mine apart he said he was surprised how well made they were... and how thin and light... and this is from a guy who makes one-off race pipes for a living...

as they say, you got to pay to play.... pissed me off too for a while though.

relevant quote from thread...

[QUOTE=slackfaster,Nov 27 2007, 08:43 PM]just picked it up. (I'll install this weekend)

The welds look great (photos soon)

Chris said that it was a well made piece--

It's just that the center has a tube of rolled perf sheet ti that failed and cracked.
Ti is brittle and the perfs make it ever more so...
he had to weld a couple of broken pieces back on to this tube.

He also said that the packing was cheap (showed it to me) and worn out.

He replaced it with some quality packing that he wired in place (J's just lets it slide around) then he welded it all back together and it should be all good.

I have to say he's a very good guy.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:50 PM

well since apparently j's doesn't stand by their products, can somone let me know what is the best way to repair this? which resonator to replace the j's one with or should i just weld a straight pipe in it instead?
Old 07-03-2009, 08:02 PM

check out the thread i linked to...

very easy repair. just have to cut the res open and quick reweld (while you're at it re-pack....) and weld back together... done.

no replacing needed.

it's just a sheet of perf ti that cracked because of heat and rough ride (stiff springs and ti exhaust don't play well together - ti is Very brittle).

any professional welder with ti experience can fix it for you in a couple of hours...
Old 07-03-2009, 08:41 PM

man sounds like you guys should have gone with a MEGAN RACING test pipe, nowhere near the price of j's racing, but meganracing stands behind their product!
Old 07-03-2009, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by s2klaiken,Jul 3 2009, 08:41 PM
man sounds like you guys should have gone with a MEGAN RACING test pipe, nowhere near the price of j's racing, but meganracing stands behind their product!
test pipe? We are talking about J's exhaust systems. They are no where near the same thing...Ti vs. Taiwan Stainless.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:22 PM

On another note. Has anyone just removed the perforated tubing and packing and just left the housing? any idea how that would sound and/or work?
Old 07-04-2009, 09:19 AM

^^^ all the "resonator" is is a small muffler...

when i was getting mine fixed, Chris at CPR looked at me funny when i kept saying resonator and then when i showed him what i meant he said can you just call it what it is? a muffler...

he thought it was funny....

so if you took out the first muffler it would get louder --- especially inside the car....
Old 07-04-2009, 01:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry you're having problems.

Threads like these make me glad I bought an exhaust which cost a fraction of $1500.

Quick Reply: J's racing resonator rattle