S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Opinions on the Hondata IMG?

Old 09-12-2009, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on the Hondata IMG?

I figure you guys push your cars harder and more consistently than anyone on the boards. I've already got one nay, and one yay from you guys. So if you guys have first or third hand experience with the IMG, please type away!

And yes, I've done a search. Based on that, I suspect there's not that many of you out there running with it.

Nay was due to reliability concerns (based on observation of others' experiences with them failing and blowing head gaskets) Yay was just "it worked as designed."

Mainly concerned for the relatively cool NA application.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:08 AM

I installed mine 2 months back, torqued the IM to OEM specs, did a 50miles drive and retorqued again to oem specs...

So far running good! never heared of failing stories before installing this piece, but now i'm a bit confused about the reliability of this piece..
Old 09-13-2009, 10:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

subcribing for feedback...
Old 09-13-2009, 12:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i've had one on my car for about 2 years without a problem. not sure why you mentioned about blown head gasket. installation of the IMG shouldn't effect the head gasket at all.

make sure you use nylon washer, and bypass the coolant to the TB if you live in warm climate, or you can reconnect the coolant in the winter. i also made a nylon gasket for the IACV because coolant also pass through it.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:10 PM

i remember reading about someone doing a test on this. if you're road racing air travels through the intake manifold so quickly that any real benefit from the gasket is negiligible.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:53 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

on a heavily tracked/raced car, dont do it. they melt at high temps and you can lose or injest coolant. when the plastic gets hot the coolant hole (towards back) elongates and eventually can blow out. I caught mine before that.

Hondata's products are generally great but this one isn't the best, but I will never run another one of these of a car I track or run hard for long periods.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by krazik,Sep 13 2009, 05:53 PM
on a heavily tracked/raced car, dont do it. they melt at high temps and you can lose or injest coolant. when the plastic gets hot the coolant hole (towards back) elongates and eventually can blow out. I caught mine before that.

Hondata's products are generally great but this one isn't the best, but I will never run another one of these of a car I track or run hard for long periods.
how long did it take you to melt?
i've had mine on for over 2 years with 20+ track events in a little over a year.

if the do melt, then i'll remove mine to eliminate another potential point of failure.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:12 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

have you pulled it and checked it?
Old 09-14-2009, 08:38 AM

i didn't pull it out yet.
i'm pulling the tranny out this weekend and was going to take the IMG out at the same time. i was just wondering how long did it take you to notice the IMG was leaking.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:28 AM

krazik, i'm wondering if you would see more failure cuz you're FI? The other nay comment I got was also from an FI individual. Just throwing that out there.

Thanks for all the feedback so far!

Quick Reply: Opinions on the Hondata IMG?