S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Oil Pan Baffle!

Old 09-29-2010, 05:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pan Baffle!

Hey guys!

We have created an oil baffle for the s2000!.

All road racing S2000 owners know that a prolonged corner with high lateral G forces can causes the oil pickup to cavitate.

Up until now the option is to do a custom oil baffle yourself or buy a Mugen or J’s racing baffled pan. We have created an economical solution for the oil cavitation issue.

The baffle is made of aluminum and requires no oil pan modification. This will alleviate the oil starvation issue that plagues road racing and drag racing s2000's. Don't worry about oil sloshing around in your non baffled pan.

The one in the picture below is a prototype, the real version will go on sale very soon. The sale price should be around $20 please let us know your feed back!

Old 09-29-2010, 05:49 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Scared of spot welds breaking loose.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:12 PM

yea if your welds ar enot aircraft level they will crack. We need data on this not some pics
Old 09-29-2010, 06:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think they're selling the baffle only, not the whole shebang.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:17 PM
Former Sponsor

It's just the piece that is in the oil pan guys Not the whole pan.

Well we'll find out if the welds hold! I don't think I am going to have any problems!
Old 09-29-2010, 06:23 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not willing to bet my motor on it.

This has been done before with the ebay baffle that is currently available. And people who have had very reasonable welds and experienced welders have had broken welds under track stress and vibration.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...&#entry17809376
Old 09-29-2010, 07:03 PM

I was talking to a mechanical engineer last week and he thought the idea of welding is a disaster waiting to happen. He did mention something about the welding temp difference between the pan and the plate. He said bolting it is the better option. Well,after all our engines are held by bolts right? Also, if you must weld it must be TIG welding
Old 09-30-2010, 07:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

For that price, I think you'd find a lot of people interested. As has been mentioned several times its the welds that typically fail in things like this...so you need to take it to a good competent welder, nothing to do with the piece you are selling.

Now I think it might be even better if you had a trap door design on the back portion that would let oil back down into the pan faster. Though it is hard to see in the pictures the gap at the back side.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Silver9k,Sep 30 2010, 07:52 AM
For that price, I think you'd find a lot of people interested. As has been mentioned several times its the welds that typically fail in things like this...so you need to take it to a good competent welder, nothing to do with the piece you are selling.

Now I think it might be even better if you had a trap door design on the back portion that would let oil back down into the pan faster. Though it is hard to see in the pictures the gap at the back side.
$60 savings is not worth a blown motor... again this requires serious data not some plate welded on there.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

$60 savings over what? Is there a bolt in plate available for $80 that you know of? Realistically if the welder gets proper penetration in both materials than the welds wont break...but that doesn't mean the sheet of aluminum itself wouldn't fatigue...and like billy mentioned in the other thread, invest in the welder, this thing is basically just a piece of machined aluminum.

Quick Reply: Oil Pan Baffle!