S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Stoptech Trophy Front BBK installed

Old 12-12-2010, 10:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stoptech Trophy Front BBK installed

Hi,

Got my Stoptech Trophy BBK a couple weeks ago, but I had to wait for my Carbotech XP10 pads to arrive, so it just sat there making me sad, ha ha.

But finally the day did come, and all the parts were in.

So, what we have here are:

1. Stoptech Trophy Sport calipers (less weight, and slightly stronger than standard ST calipers, anodozied finish, dust seals present (racing version has no dust seal))
2. Stoptech Trophy Sport rotors (hat anodized finish, anti-rattle (racing version has no anti-rattle))
3. Stoptech titanium shims (68.180.0372)
4. Stoptech brake pads (not going to be used)
5. Carbotech XP10 pads

The Trophy calipers are machined to remove about 1lb of weight compared to the standard ST-40 calipers (happened to have the chance to compare against the calipers for an NSX.) They also have some small design changes, including bolts that run through the caliper halves, making them very slightly stiffer as well.

As you can see, the caliper (and bracket / bolts) weighs 8.3lbs.

The rotors are beautiful as well, with directional vanes, anti-rattle hardware, and even directional cooling vanes on the hat itself. The hat is anodized.

As you can see, the rotor weighs 13.9lbs.

So, a couple hours later, the old calipers were removed from the car.

As you can see, the OEM caliper weighs 9.5lbs, which is 1.2lbs more than the ST Trophy caliper.

And finally have the old Password JDM rotors removed.

As you can see the Password JDM rotors weigh 13.4lbs, which is 0.5lbs lighter!!! than the ST Trophy rotors. hmm....

Alright... so, continued installing... Mounting the rotors was a little difficult, as the hats were a very tight fit over the hub. Had to use the wheel lugs to gently and carefully push them over the hub, then mounted the wheels to push them flush. Not sure if this was the best way to do it, but it seemed to do the job without damaging the hats.

Mounting the calipers was much easier. Everything slid into place smoothly but without looseness. Quality of the machining was very good, and even with the ultra small tolerances (the brackets clear the rotors on the inside by about 1mm!) everything appeared perfectly straight. Very high quality. Wished all the aftermarket stuff I've installed were made this well.

NOTE: One thing that should be mentioned is that the hat is a little thicker than OEM. It's about 1-2mm thicker, so the wheels will be offset by that amount, which was significant enough to give me a free extra fender pull . My fenders were already messed up, so I didn't care. But be aware.

The next day I attempted to bed the brakes around the industrial area at work, but I think the rotors were so efficient at dissipating heat that even after many 60 -> 10mph stops, I still could not get the brakes hot enough to really get a good film on the rotors! I couldn't go too crazy though, else I would attract the wrong attention. Oh well, good enough I think.

The brakes definitely feel stiffer than OEM, and feel a little easier to modulate to me. But to be honest, I did not attempt to drive them the way I would at the track, so I can't really say how big of an improvement they are yet.

Overall very happy with them so far. The Trophy kit is about $800 more than the standard kit, about $2800 total--perhaps that 1lb difference per caliper, and very slightly greater stiffness, is not worth that $800. Also, as noted above, the calipers are about 1.2lbs lighter than OEM, but the rotors are 0.5lbs heavier than the aftermarket rotors I had previously, which netted a weight savings of (1.2lbs - 0.5lbs) * 2 = 1.4lbs. Unfortunately, that is 1.0lbs more of rotating mass (concentrated at the outside too), though 1.4lbs less of unsprung weight .
Old 12-13-2010, 02:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They look great!

Which i had the money to do the same
Old 12-13-2010, 06:27 AM

looks great, thanks for sharing the info
Old 12-13-2010, 05:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by young buck,Dec 13 2010, 10:27 AM
looks great, thanks for sharing the info
Old 12-21-2010, 11:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

those are hot
Old 12-21-2010, 11:45 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Very nice!
Old 12-21-2010, 02:13 PM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

this is my favorite bbk for the s2000. very sweet!
Old 01-25-2011, 08:17 AM
Former Moderator

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

bump to the top.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice
The following users liked this post:
jdmfreak811 (09-19-2020)
Old 01-31-2011, 08:16 AM

Very cool, Stoptech is a fantastic company.

Quick Reply: Stoptech Trophy Front BBK installed