Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

Hello from Reno NV

Old 12-30-2016, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello from Reno NV

Hello fellow s2ki owners! I bought my white 2001 S2000 at the end of September and enjoyed it immensely. I got it on a good deal. Low miles at 65k, exhaust, intake and factory top. It ran great and had such confidence inspiring handling. The only thing wrong was a rip on the soft top that my mom and I stitched to repair. You could probably already tell that my tone is a bit off...

Well, unfortunately, my beloved s2ki ate a lot of oil and I didn't know about it. I had the oil changed within two weeks of owning it. I then drove it for 2 and half months with a smile on my face each and every time...until I heard the noises coming from the engine. The first one was the relatively annoying but harmless TC tick. I figured I could make it a project next year. No worries there. Then, about two weeks ago, I was driving and felt the engine bog down. Then another noise, this time a louder tick that had consistent timing. The oil light also started flickering on and off. I feared the worse. I made it to a walmart and checked the oil dip stick. No oil. I bought a quart and emptied it. Checked again. Still no oil. Bought one more...and then another and then one more. I had to fill up 3.5 quarts. W.T.F. So, long story short. I had it checked by a shop and hoped it just needed a valve adjustment. Nope. It was the dreaded rod knock. **** my life. The guy said that the black smoke markings on the back bumper was an indicator i should have paid attention to. I didn't know. I felt dumb and numb.

So, now that it has come to this, I've researched a tiny bit and came up with some options.
1. Rebuild engine. I was told that it may just need a new bottom end.
2. Buy used engine and might as well swing for an AP2
3. Buy used engine and rebuild old one and upgrade it.

I have a couple of buddies willing to help with the engine removal but can also go the shop route. I just don't want it to cost an arm and a leg (im mentally prepared for the worse...) To those that have had this happen, what are your recommendations? What else should I consider? With the help of my buddies, I can reduce the cost quite a bit (shop minimum is $1k for removal and reinstall of engine). Used engines are $1500+ Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

edit: also, I will post up pics later on. It pains me to see her at the moment
Old 12-30-2016, 04:15 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

If it were me I'd find a good strong used engine. Sorry you have to go through this. A bitter pill to swallow.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:24 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

and welcome....
Old 01-09-2017, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello rpg and jonner. Thanks for the replies. I am now looking to get a used ap2 and hopefully get a good price on a relatively low mileage one...