Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

S2000 in the Tropics

Old 12-18-2016, 06:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default S2000 in the Tropics

Dude... did you just buy a....

Twenty years ago I bought my first Honda. A virgin 1997 Acura LS sedan that blossomed into a built, vtec turbocharged green beastie from the perversion of my newly awakened frankenstein hand. Home built from a factory manual, near 300hp and subtly riced just right for the time, I would've boldly driven across to the Fast and Furious 2 casting call.... but we went to the beach instead. Since then, a slew of cars, from Mercurys to Maximas have passed through my hands. Twenty years later, 2 Hondas still live in my stable, one is a hard tested track EG and the other, a mild mannered EK being re-assembled for street duty. I must have a soft spot for Hondas, having owned at least 4 in the past years; I might even trade my Subaru for another EK... but by no means am I a fanatical Honda owner or out of control in any way.

So last week... I bought a 16 year old AP1 S2000....and plan to daily drive it.

Not nervous... it's the only way to describe my approach to the purchase, maybe nerve racking, but not nervous. Where I live at the moment may be a JDM parts buyer's dream, but there are likely fewer than 5 examples of S2000's in the country. This particular car is a Singapore model in fairly good condition, very low mileage, given the age and 3 previous owners, I expected some wear and buggy parts. Upon looking her over with owner's eyes, I found a laundry list of small things to fix, tighten, tuck, repair or replace. A problem with the electronic steering trying to ghost drive the car is the major concern right now after a proper alignment and all new shoes were bolted up to the stock 16" rims. 2 rims are dented significantly and 16" tyres have the worst selection. 17" upgraded sizing may be in the near future. Brake pads and rotors are next as far as major replacement and a full fluid flush and refill is in order for the weekend. My buddy found a good japanese breaker site that has some RHD interior bits but I am always looking for a solid supplier of quality parts. This car will cover at least 100Km per day while it's kept in it's stock format. The only mods are a mystery coilover suspension and an aftermarket stage 1 clutch. One of my civics will bully a stock S2000 in a straight line (and probably on the track too), but the point of this car is solid, reliably, crazy-cool, razor sharp transport. Thankfully this car already has an excellent condition replacement top with a rear window made of glass (early model AP1). Surprisingly it does not have an OBD scan port so I assume there's a service connector somewhere under the column that I need to find. The first wash at it's new home will be tomorrow when maybe the effect of this new addition to the fleet will kick in... and I'm going to have to name it, because...

Holy rum balls Batman, I bought an S2000 !
I'm not excited at all...
Did I mention that it's red ?

(Stole my own thread from HT)
Attached Thumbnails S2000 in the Tropics-x2ss2000.jpg  
Old 12-20-2016, 03:16 PM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Very nice and welcome!
great pic....what is that lurking in the garage?
looks like a prancing horse
Old 12-20-2016, 06:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It looks like it's prancing... the F430 on jack stands replacing the fan and hoses.... ugh... I'm still not done.

The real rarity in the pic tho, is my buddy's Honda Beat... like the S2k's gramps.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:22 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

and welcome...