JDM Tuning Expert advice and discussion on JDM tuning for your S2000.

Amuse Ti Exhaust?

Old 04-22-2016, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[/quote]

Spoken like someone that has never seen one of these higher end exhausts in person. The level of quality and craftsmanship is completely different. I would also say there is a big difference in how they sound (this will depend on which one you buy). If you are only looking at the performance aspect then yes they both likely achieve the same result but there are even cheaper exhausts that achieve the same performance. Not saying Greddy is bad by any means but it is no where near as nice as the Amuse.

I still stand by my previous comment of buying a daily so you aren't daily driving the S so matter what exhaust you go with.
[/quote]

I don't think telling him to buy another car is helping with the OPs question... Your advice is to buy another car, spend money to insure 2 cars, hope you have enough space to own 2 cars, not enjoy the S2000 as intended every damn day, and then buy an exhaust? FAIL...

OP: Buy whatever one you have the cash to buy and the one that you think sounds the best. If you don't feel comfortable buying a $2300-$3000 exhaust, then don't. Simple as that. Don't listen to a guy thats telling you to buy a second car before you buy an exhaust... he's probably a used car salesman...
Old 04-22-2016, 11:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey all thought I would change my name since I made the other when I was just looking at buying an S2K when I first made it haha.

Thanks for the help so far.

I guess I can talk to BP and see if the resonator issue has been rectified. I know Amuse is in a different league then Greddy but if I am not going full Ti I am not going to bother with spending a bunch on SS.

Is it worth to go with a HFC or Testpipe? Will I throw a CEL?

I also cant make heads or tales of all the versions. There is like Euro Titan Extra etc??? How on earth do you make heads or tails of them. I want a dual with a resonator I imagine. I dont mind a loud exhaust as long as its not plain obnoxious.

I am new to the S2K world and just getting some parts to start out. I used to be huge into BMW and am new to this huge JDM parts selection world. So many choices even with one company.

I am ok with the cost if there are gains and well made and sounds good. I just dont want to be out 3K and have it fail or rattle.

I just want something that has good tone and doesnt have drone. I have heard alot of these exhausts sometimes sound like fart cans so that worries me haha. I hear the Mugen screams on Vtech but dont like the look of the AP1 Mugen.

I have always lusted after Amuse stuff including the GT1 kit haha.

I am just looking at all my options.
Old 04-23-2016, 07:18 AM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

R1 titan dual comes resonated. I havent seen it without a resonator.
Not sure on the sizes as i never had interest in this

Euro dual comes resonated, the quieter of the two duals. 60 and 70mm

The r1000 is a headerback single, non resonated, the loudest. I believe its available in a 60 and 70mm

R1 titan single comes with a resonator(extra) and without. This is a catback compared to the r1000

If you have an ap1, get the amuse euro dual with C tips because it looks amazing and Feezy will be happy.

I always think test pipes sound raspy although with a tune its more beneficial. Obviously if you the r1000 you can avoid choosing all together. You will need a defouler or an 06+ s2000 to disable the o2 sensor.
Old 04-23-2016, 04:23 PM

Resonator issues will continue to plague ASM and Amuse titanium exhausts(and some of the ASM stainless systems too) so long as the baffles are not welded internally to the resonator. I've only ever seen them attached passively with the "canister" itself containing everything together.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:51 PM

Thats a bummer.

I guess only option would be to get a non resonated one but I wonder how bad the drone would be. Blah.

Are the Amuse Euros still Ti or just the tips?
Old 04-24-2016, 06:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Euros are completely titanium
Old 04-26-2016, 09:05 AM

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by jdjordan
They are both similar in the aspect that they are both exhausts and have Ti tips. Amuse has the Uber JDM bling factor, but honestly thats what you are paying for. Go Tuning Unlimited did a dyno test of the Greddy system and had positive results. So for that reason, why spend more than $2k on an exhaust (Amuse) when you can achieve the same result with an exhaust half the price? The Greddy unit is also a quality name brand. In the end, it comes down to how deep your pockets are and how much you value spending an extra $1k for exclusive bling.

Greddy Dyno: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/710...-or-burnt-tip/

Anyway, just my $0.2 as I have been researching both exhaust systems for my car as well.

Originally Posted by Mugen_is_best' timestamp='1460739508' post='23939201
Greddy and Amuse should never be used in the same sentence
Because you can't achieve the same result, and other than them both being dual exhausts for an S2000 they are very different. The exhausts look and sound completely different and appeal to two completely different demographics, not to mention that one of the exhaust is made entirely out of Titanium. Maybe they make similar horsepower gains, but were dealing with an already rung out from the factory motor. Weight reduction is a good way to increase the performance of the car, but we're dealing with street cars here. I don't see -/+ 5hp or 30lbs making a difference when I'm driving the car around town.

I do like how people who can't afford or don't want to spend the money on expensive parts turn them into "expensive bling" to prove their argument.

My Amuse Dual Euro 70mm sounds absolutely incredible, in the most refined and adult way possible. It's quite a bit quieter than the Greddy Dual SE and has a very different tone and sound to it. The Greddy is much more boomy and deep. I'm referring to both the old and the new Greddy SE's. (with and without the Hemboltz resonator, and both running 70mm TPs)

I'm running my Dual Amuse with a 70mm HFC right now, however I have tested it with an OEM Cat, 63mm test pipe, 70mm test pipe, 63mm HFC, and 70mm HFC. The results were pretty interesting. The OEM cat made the exhaust sound like a Mugen exhaust, (also expensive bling) very quiet, refined, and it had a very unique tone to it. The test pipe turned the exhaust into a loud, obnoxious, raspy, look at me I need attention sounding exhaust. While the HFC put the exhaust right in the sweet spot in terms of sound. It's just a louder version of when it had the OEM cat, it's got more volume, but it still has the refined and specific tone. It doesn't sound like your typical S2000 with an exhaust (Honda Civic). The biggest problem I have with the exhaust is that when it's cold it does have a mild rasp at the higher RPMS. Once the exhaust heats up from about 10 minutes of driving it mellows out and get very smooth. It sounds like a proper Japanese sports car, that's the only way I can describe it.

As mentioned above, you're always going to have a problem with the resonator on Titanium exhausts. The metal is thin, that spot gets hot, and is under stress. At some point it's going to give out, it that is a concern of yours I would look for a titanium exhaust that doesn't have a resonator.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:32 PM

Thanks Feezy!

How bad would the drone be without a resonator?

What HFC would you go with? Berk? Size? Sorry I am new to all this JDM stuff.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:52 AM

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by HawkS2K
Thanks Feezy!

How bad would the drone be without a resonator?

What HFC would you go with? Berk? Size? Sorry I am new to all this JDM stuff.
That's really going to depend on the specific exhaust and the piece you choose to run right before the exhaust. You'll have to do some research to confirm what I'm saying, but in my experience any exhaust that has the resonator and a Helmoltz resonator in the OEM locations is going to sound terrible with a test pipe. I know the Hemboltz resonator is specifically designed to tune out a specific note in the exhaust frequency, and when you change the piece directly in front of the exhaust (oem cat, hfc, tp) it's going to change the sound of the note and if the Hemboltz was tuned with a different configuration it sounds terrible. It happened with my exhaust, and I've seen it happen to all of the Invidia Q3000s and one of the new Greddy SE Duals.

Non-resonated exhaust seem to be just fine without a cat, and I think the general consensus is that they are often less droney when paired with a test pipe.

Keep in mind that sound is purely a subjective thing, so what I think sounds terrible might be the exact sounds you're after.

As far as what brand of HFC, all of my HFC's and test pipes are Berks. They are decently priced and work well. For size you are going to want to match whatever your exhaust size it. OEM is 63mm aftermarket is usually 63 or 70mm. Decide if you want a HFC or test pipe and pick up one that matches the size of the exhaust you plan on purchasing.

If I can be of any more help please let me know.

What exhaust are you considering other than one of the Amuse Euros?
Old 04-27-2016, 02:04 PM

Thanks again!

I am looking at the Greddy V2 SE, or the Ap2 Mugen as I don't care for the looks of the Ap1 model. I also have looked at the Js but those down turned tips are kinda odd. Just want a dual tip factory look and I like the blue tips on them if I can get them.

Don't take me wrong I just want some more sound from the exhaust. But that being said I don't want it to sound like a fart can or be crazy loud. I guess it's probably hard to get a refined tone from a 4cyl engine. I would like to find something that would give you a little louder sound and more refined tone then kinda scream on vtech. That would be perfect haha.

On my BMWs I ran Supersprint and Borla or Billy Boat. They just gave you some more tone without being obnoxious or droning like crazy.

Quick Reply: Amuse Ti Exhaust?