JDM Tuning Expert advice and discussion on JDM tuning for your S2000.

ASM Resonator rattle

Old 04-11-2015, 07:29 AM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

im fairly certain my used 60mm has this rattle as well. (the whole reason I wanted a 60 was to avoid this )
Anyways, those that repaired locally, straight pipe welded in or resonator replaced with a Vibrant or other brand????? Not sure how much running without a resonator changes the sound.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer
im fairly certain my used 60mm has this rattle as well. (the whole reason I wanted a 60 was to avoid this )
Anyways, those that repaired locally, straight pipe welded in or resonator replaced with a Vibrant or other brand????? Not sure how much running without a resonator changes the sound.
It will probably make a big difference in terms of volume and tone.

Is it coming from the muffler or resonator?

Maybe grind off the welds and take it apart to see what's happening.

If it's the perforated baffle (probably is), then hopefully it can be repaired and perhaps re-enforced with a small piece of steel welded to the baffle to help stop it from vibrating.

Get some good quality course steel wool and muffler repack and repack it, have it weld it up again. Probably cost you 150 in parts in labour.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:40 AM

Its coming from the resonator for sure.

It sounds cheaper and easier to get a new resonator for 100 bucks and have it put on.

I would get a 2.5" resonator, correct??
Old 04-13-2015, 11:16 AM

Its coming from the resonator for sure.

It sounds cheaper and easier to get a new resonator for 100 bucks and have it put on.

I would get a 2.5" resonator, correct??

Yes it would be cheaper, but maybe it's the JDM in me to keep it as original as possible.

Just double check the Inner/outer diameter on the resonator and ASM, Vibrant Ultra quiet looks like a good place to start, take measurements (i'm sure the welder can move it back towards the firewall to make some more room), but this is also to confirm it won't hit the tunnel (which I highly doubt as well).

If Vibrant has a slightly larger ID then ASM, them perhaps the welder can just slip it in and weld (probably a bit easier/cleaner than butt welding)

Good luck
Old 04-13-2015, 11:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought my 70mm used and the previous owner removed the resonator. I have a Berk test pipe, then it's all pipe, and then muffler and it is LOUD at WOT. There is a lot of rasp in second and third gear. If I shift sooner and also modulate the throttle the rasp goes away. Cruising in 6th at 60-73 mph you can barely hear the exhaust. At 75 mph and up it starts droning until you get to 81 and it quiets down again. Do not go all pipe.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:35 AM

I think a lot of the rasp can be contributed to the test pipe. Would be nice to know what its like with a HFC as well.

I think im going to let the shop decide if they want to repair the resonator or swap to a new one.
I also got Berk to send me a differential mount so i can get a hanger welded on since mine didn't have one.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:43 AM

I think a lot of the rasp can be contributed to the test pipe. Would be nice to know what its like with a HFC as well.

I think im going to let the shop decide if they want to repair the resonator or swap to a new one.
I also got Berk to send me a differential mount so i can get a hanger welded on since mine didn't have one.
Chances are they are going to repair it, more labour = more $$
Old 04-14-2015, 10:30 AM
Spotter

Received 277 Likes on 232 Posts

I got a quote of 180$ to replace the resonator plus install. Ended up buying a titanium 70mm without the rattle. Let's hope it stays that way.

I don't mind the rattle that much since I don't really hear it outside of idle. Might even be an option to cut open the resonator and re tack the pipes. Essentially the rattle is caused by the tacks snapping off
Old 04-15-2015, 07:05 AM

Another thought would be to use the OEM resonator as it's 60mm and very cheap to find. Also I haven't heard of them vibrating either
Old 04-24-2015, 09:04 PM

Well i got it repaired. Shop ended up using a bottle style resonator instead of the larger ones. It has a different tone now. Throaty through the rev range. Not sure if i will keep it this way or try a larger resonator. Or sell it

Quick Reply: ASM Resonator rattle