JDM Tuning Expert advice and discussion on JDM tuning for your S2000.

Spoon Rigid Collars installed and tested on stock AP2

Old 02-03-2014, 05:45 PM
Community Organizer

Received 212 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewhake
Originally Posted by igotcouponsxx' timestamp='1391188808' post='22992657
I've seriously been considering this as my next mod, but I didn't want to drop the entire subframe to install the rigid collars. These guys have found a rather ingenious solution.....

http://www.speedhunters.com/2011/06/...s_to_the_gt_r/
By "these guys" you mean Spoon, the guys the created the rigid collars?
By "these guys" I mean these specific mechanics. Whether they work at Type-One is not important here, what IS important is that they utilize a very handy shortcut in installing these that I don't believe is in the instructions, or any DIY thread I've come across. I thought it was pretty neat, but then again I'm easily amused.
The following users liked this post:
Spaceman2345 (08-24-2022)
Old 02-03-2014, 06:23 PM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by igotcouponsxx
Originally Posted by andrewhake' timestamp='1391479664' post='22997510
[quote name='igotcouponsxx' timestamp='1391188808' post='22992657']
I've seriously been considering this as my next mod, but I didn't want to drop the entire subframe to install the rigid collars. These guys have found a rather ingenious solution.....

By "these guys" you mean Spoon, the guys the created the rigid collars?
By "these guys" I mean these specific mechanics. Whether they work at Type-One is not important here, what IS important is that they utilize a very handy shortcut in installing these that I don't believe is in the instructions, or any DIY thread I've come across. I thought it was pretty neat, but then again I'm easily amused.
[/quote]

Some of the rigid collars come pre-split like that actually. For cars with subframes that are trickier to lower I think. The S2000 install is relatively easy I think so they use solid collars. The subframe only needs to be lowered enough so the collars can be slipped into place. But yes I agree it is very clever solution.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had the Rigid Collars for 2 years now. I have done a bunch of changes from stock to modified to stock again to validate my opinions on the Spoon Rigid Collars. All I have to say is it works very well for stock suspension and stock exhaust.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by takchi
I've had the Rigid Collars for 2 years now. I have done a bunch of changes from stock to modified to stock again to validate my opinions on the Spoon Rigid Collars. All I have to say is it works very well for stock suspension and stock exhaust.
Wait works well for stock exhaust?
Old 02-10-2014, 08:18 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewhake
Originally Posted by takchi' timestamp='1391734885' post='23003060
Think noise transfer and changing the natural resonance frequencies.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by igotcouponsxx

Its pretty easy to do without having to drop the subframe all the way off. Loosen off one side, remove the other sides bolts. Insert collar, put bolts back in, repeat on the other side. I did the front and back on a 4 post hoist in around 2 hours.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by takchi
Originally Posted by andrewhake' timestamp='1391739028' post='23003124
[quote name='takchi' timestamp='1391734885' post='23003060']
Think noise transfer and changing the natural resonance frequencies.
[/quote]

Hmm I guess I will buy that.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:24 PM

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

(By "these guys" you mean Spoon, the guys the created the rigid collars?)

Spoon did not invent the rigid collar kit. Spoon and Rigid worked together to collaborate to make a Honda Market for the parts. Hence why you are rocking two stickers on your windscreen. Spoon is in most ways a distributor of the collar kit.
The collars are developed for a range of vehicles from Japanese to European. Hence why the link above from Speed hunters is showing a GTR being used.

Also, that is a great link and i read the whole thing. It really is a perfect solution for the GTR chassis.

For The S2000 you do not need to take off/ drop the subframe. you can loosen it and do one side at a time simply by tilting it. You do the same tilt when changing out Clutch, trans, etc.

You would loosen all the bolts giving them enough thread where the subframe hangs a little. (Look at the link i provided from Gotuning's blog of Aarons S2000) You then take off one bolt at a time giving you enough space to drop the bolt, insert the collar, and then rethread to its "Loose" position. you would do this to all the bolts one by one.

Time? I think a slow person take time to in their garage with floor jacks, jacks stands, tool prep, IG & Facebook breaks, should take no more than an hour to hour and half.

http://blog.gotuning.com/category/projectcars/s2000-2/
Old 02-19-2014, 02:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^ Great info there for the install . We did the same thing and took a little over an hour.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by TEASPOONGUY
(By "these guys" you mean Spoon, the guys the created the rigid collars?)

Spoon did not invent the rigid collar kit. Spoon and Rigid worked together to collaborate to make a Honda Market for the parts. Hence why you are rocking two stickers on your windscreen. Spoon is in most ways a distributor of the collar kit.
The collars are developed for a range of vehicles from Japanese to European. Hence why the link above from Speed hunters is showing a GTR being used.
Not sure where you got that information, but it isn't correct. You do realize that the GT-R is being fitted with Rigid Collars at Spoon's shop yes? And it may very well be the first R34 they have fitted the collars to and are figuring out what size and shape of collar they should sell in their kit?

Spoon did come up with the idea and they created the Rigid Collar brand to sell them to all types of cars. http://www.rigidcollar.jp

Quick Reply: Spoon Rigid Collars installed and tested on stock AP2