Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Billman- "Is it worth the trip?"

Old 11-17-2012, 09:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Billman- "Is it worth the trip?"

I know many of you have mentioned going to this legendary S2K mechanic but have dreaded the long drive up. Having just done that to fix an AP1 clutch buzz and some fluid changes, I'd like to share my impressions on the matter:

First off, it is a long drive. One best done with company, think caravan, and not at 2am as I had to do straight from work. It's nearly 7hr(6hrs were it not for the pot-hole ridden traffic on Belt Parkway off the Verrazano bridge). That said, New Yorkers drive crazy fast and you'll be grinning wide once the traffic moves.

Having heard of the gas shortage and lack of Premium on Long Island, I filled up before exiting the NJ Turnpike and still had 1/2 a tank to spare when I got to Billman's.

Once there, I was mesmerized by the amount of specialized and better-than-dealership quality equipment he has tucked in his home garage. His beautiful dog Kojira, a Pitbull/Mastiff mix greeted me with much affection. She's also great at keeping would-be thieves far away.

Billman immediately went over my car and started multi-tasking a gazilion tasks while explaining to me in complete detail how he'd arrived at his findings. In a nutshell, this man knows more about our cars than the designers who built them. He's wrenching, racing, and highly passionate through personal vested interest in our cars. Having worked for many years for high end exotic garages, he decided to specialize on the S2K. Let me tell you, we are all the better for it.

After he dropped the drive-train in about 15 min, he went to work on bleeding the brake fluids, change my Diff fluid, replaced the suspect TCT tensioner with his own custom-modified signature machined parts, fixed the rear axle nuts, added custom tire wear adjustments to my recently done and already perfecxt alignment, changed the oil, changed the spark plugs with valve-adjustments by using an ingenious tool he'd created, resurfaced my clutch and applied proprietary lubricants he'd gotten from working many years in the machining industry, replaced my 12 year old oem clutch with an 11.5 lbs SOS flywheel(that he gave me for a steal) which will let you know the true meaning of FLY-wheel as the revs rapidly flies up and down super fast when you shift. All done... WHILE YOU WAIT!!!!

While he offered me a room to nap from having not slept all night, he noticed some trunk dings and called his buddy Eddie Jones a PDR master to come over. When I woke up, Eddie offered to knock out the 4 dents and a 7" long seam/crack for me for $100. I said, go for it. To give perspective, down here they charge upwards of $250 per panel. When Eddie was done, he walked around my car and found another driver's side ding and fixed it for free. It's no surprise that the man's standup, birds of a feather really do flock together. I'd highly recommend when you go to Billman to have Eddie on hand. He's truly a master of his craft.

Billman took a 30min break to treat me to some delicious Italian food before going back to re-inspect ad-nauseum all of his work, as another customer from 2 1/2 hours away drove up. I've never seen anyone do so much time-consuming work in such a meticulous and expeditious fashion, all the while retaining awareness and precision in mind.

As a defensive tactics instructor and trainer of specialized units, I can tell you that this man is squared away. Honest, sincere, dedicated and professional. That alone makes the 7hr drive worth re-doing... in a heartbeat!
The following users liked this post:
Mike Legra (06-03-2020)
Old 11-17-2012, 11:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great write up... after reading this I would definitely let him do any work to my car. Where exactly does he live? Im from dutchess county NY
Old 11-17-2012, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. This is an amazing write up. One day I hope to take my car to him, glad to know it'll be worth the trip!
Old 11-17-2012, 12:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys. He is in South Hampton Long Island... Near the beach. I'd definitely do a summer meet trip up to enjoy the ocean. However, you'll be hard-pressed not standing there watching him work. He's like the Iron Chef of S2K mechanics. I kid you not.
The following users liked this post:
Mike Legra (06-03-2020)
Old 11-17-2012, 12:30 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Awesome write-up! The guy definitely knows his stuff.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:03 PM

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

for taking the time to recognize one-of-kind individuals who inspire people to do write-ups like this.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:11 PM

I've known Bill for about 4 years now, he is the man to go to. if anyone is thinking about making the drive up to him, i'd say do it.

Although I have never taken my car to him, but he has taken time out of his day, to give me pointers over the phone and through text messages, and that shows a lot.

Even the yearly Dragon trips just wont be the same without him. We need more people like Billman in our S2kI community.

I have done pretty much everything on the S2000 myself, inside and out. I am no Billman, but i am here to help anyone with their S2000. PM anytime.

-Artin
Old 11-17-2012, 05:46 PM

Good write up. I met him for the first time in this year's WTDX. He replaced my TCT with his modified TCT and with a lifetime warranty in the hotel parking lot with in 5 minutes while working on another car the bent his front wheel and fender. He fixed them with a hummer and a 2x4 that he found in the parking lot. The guy drove his S2K to dragon's tail and back to New York with no problem.

Billman also re torqued my axles at the Dragon while working on 10 other cars simultaneously while talking and giving training at the same time. The guy is truly amazing.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:11 PM

I also drove up from Fairfax to see Billman this past spring. Took me about 7 hours (i had made the drive in 6, but a tractor trailer had flipped on the highway two exits from his house. The last 5 miles took an hour, ugh).

Suffice to say, your write up is 100% accurate. Bill is a great guy, he did wonders for my car, and it has never felt as good as the drive home in the evening when he finished. A very long day (6AM-Midnight), but totally worth it.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:09 AM

Awesome write up T.

im glad you took the drive to get your car fixed from someone who knows how to work on our cars, unlike jiffy lube people who swears knows how to handle s2000.

see you this weekend

Quick Reply: Billman- "Is it worth the trip?"