Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Mid-Atlantic's Best Driving Roads

Old 02-15-2013, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mid-Atlantic's Best Driving Roads

The purpose of this thread is to do is start cataloging all of the good/great driving roads in the Mid-A, with video to go along with it. That way people could see the stretch of road/route and see for themselves if it's a route they'd like to drive themselves. Here's how I'd like to start documenting and rating roads, however I am open to suggestions and I'm sure this will change over time.

I am going to reserve the 1st 6 posts: The first post (this one) will outline how we want to document routes, then I will have subsequent posts reserved for: MD, VA, WV, PA. If someone wants to document Rock Creek Parkway in DC, then we can group that under MD or VA. If people have roads to submit, they will just respond to the thread, and then I will copy the info and put it into the appropriate State's post and format. Or you can PM me the info and I can add it directly to the correct post - your choice. Here is the tentative ratings & format:

Scenery: 1-10 Rating
Curviness: 1-10 Rating
Road/Pavement Quality: 1-5 Rating
Police Presence: Low(5)-Medium(3)-High(1)
Traffic: Low(5)-Medium(3)-High(1)
Total Rating: Sum of above scores.

Overall Impression: Narrative description of the route/impressions of the drive. Short paragraph.

Map of the route - don't think we can incorporate google maps API into these forum posts. Best bet may be to make the route using Google maps, save the pic and then post the picture of the route. I'm open to ideas on this though.

Video of the route if you have it. Best videos would show as much of the road & surrounding scenery as possible.

Even if you don't have all of this info, we could still add the route and then beef it up as we go along. If multiple people want to rate the same roads, the main posts would reflect the average rating of the road.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:35 PM

Maryland's Best Routes

Catoctin Mountain Loop

Scenery: 7
Curviness: 6
Road/Pavement Quality: 4
Police Presence: Low (5)
Traffic: Low-medium (4)
Total Rating: 26

Length: Approximately 2 hours

Overall Impression: Nice, long route that goes between country, small towns, and mountains. Some of the stretches on this route are quite straight, with short bits of curves thrown in. The part that goes over Catoctin Mountain (route 77) is the curviest section, however it likely would be somewhat crowded in the warmer months, given that it is flanked by a state park on one side and a national park on the other. Didn't pass one cop on this route. Road conditions are overall pretty damn good. Maryland's rural roads are well above average.

Directions: From I-70, Take MD75 North. Eventually 75 ends at Middleburg Road. Turn left at Middleburg road. Take Middleburg until you get to Thurmont, turn right onto MD550. Follow this around until you hit MD491 & turn left. Turn Left on MD 77 and take this road through the mountains. Take 550 S until you get back to route 77, turn right and head back to I-70.

Videos of this Route
Part 1 - MD-75N from I70 to Middleburg Road
Part 2 - Middleburg Road to Thurmont
Part 3 - Thurmont to MD 491 via route 550
Part 4 - MD 491 to MD 77
Part 5 - MD 77 to the end (back to MD 550 south) This is the curviest (most insteresting) part of the route.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oregon Ridge Park Sprint

Length: Approximately: 35 Minutes

Overall Impression: Needs Synopsis

Directions: From Falls Road in Baltimore County, drive north until you hit Beaver Dam Road. Turn Left. Beaver Dam Road turns into Cuba Road. Turn right onto Western Run Road. Bear left to turn onto Gerber Lane. Turn right onto Thornton Mill Road. Turn right onto Western Road. Stay on that until you hit Shawan Road. Now, go home.

Scenery: 6
Curviness: 7
Road/Pavement Quality: 4
Police Presence: 5
Traffic: 5 (depends on time of day, go at the right time and there won't be any traffic)
Total Rating: Sum of above scores: 27

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dhzTeaLoEF0[/youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=KWidE0eOXOs

This Post Reserved for Maryland Routes

This Post Reserved for Southern Virginia Routes

This Post Reserved for Southern Virginia Routes
Old 02-15-2013, 07:36 PM

This Post Reserved for Northern Virginia Routes
Old 02-21-2013, 07:09 AM

This Post Reserved for Northern Virginia Routes
Old 02-21-2013, 07:11 AM

I changed the reserved posts a bit to reflect the fact that S2ki's definition of "Mid-Atlantic" is considerably different than mine. Also, I figured there's going to eventually need to be more than one post reserved per section to fit everything (assuming we get good participation).
Old 03-22-2013, 08:52 PM

Why are there not more of these types of threads?
Old 03-25-2013, 10:07 AM

I don't know, but I need more roads!!!!

Quick Reply: Mid-Atlantic's Best Driving Roads