MidWest S2000 Club Kansas, Nebraska, the Dakotas, Missouri, Iowa, and Minnesota

Maaco Bodyshop of Independence, Missouri Scammed Me of $1000

Old 10-18-2016, 03:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Maaco Bodyshop of Independence, Missouri Scammed Me of $1000

Posting this as a cautionary tale of anyone considering taking their car to a Maaco for labor. I cannot describe how horrendous this whole ordeal has been, and I do not expect to ever get my money back.

Maaco of Independence, MO scammed me of $1000. I paid this shop $1000 as a down payment for labor and paint on my car 6 weeks ago on September 3rd. When I paid the shop, the manager, Travis, told me that the car would be ready in approximately 2 weeks. I knew this was likely an early estimation, so at first when the car was delayed I was not upset. However, every time I called the shop and spoke to Lori (receptionist) after the first delay, they would just extend the promise to "it will be finished xDay", and so on, and any time that I asked for the actual status of the car, no one knew, or no one was at the shop/available.

Finally, after 5 weeks on (10/08) I was getting nervous having not seen my car in a month (the shop is an hour away from me). I called the manager, Travis, directly and he apologized and said that it was their fault for having poor communication. He promised to make it up for me, and told me the car would definitely be in the paint booth that Thursday. I told him I would need to pick the car up the following weekend, regardless of it's status, as my girlfriend and I could not go on with sharing a single car. She has two jobs and attends university, and I have a full time position. He acknowledged this and promised the car would be ready. Additionally, he promised to send me a photo of the car so I would have an idea of what they're working with. I never received this photo, and later I found out why.

I called Travis that Friday to confirm that the car was ready, and he immediately took a different tone and simply said "I don't think your car is ready buddy", and brushed off the issue. I told him I would be at the shop tomorrow regardless.

When I arrived, I found that the shop staff had been COMPLETELY replaced. When I walked in the door and asked for Travis, everyone seemed to take defense and told me that Travis got suspended for poor dealing with customers. The phone was ringing constantly while I was there. I asked to go back and see my car, and none of them even knew which car was mine, and were confused when I described it to them.

Finally, one of them took me to the back of the shop, and through the heaps of cars I saw mine. It had not even been touched. The car had just been parked there, for 6 weeks, with no changes whatsoever. On later inspection, I also found that I had cables missing from my radio.

I spoke with the new manager (Chris) and he agreed that I would need a refund. He promised to talk to Ryan, the owner of the shop, and that I should come by on 10/17 to meet with him. When I arrived, everyone was leaving the shop and they said Ryan may not be there as he got tied up in a meeting. I had called Maaco and spoke to Chris repeatedly that day and TOLD THEM to make sure that Ryan was there, and the exact time I would be there. They all simply evacuated as soon as I showed up. Chris gave the the phone number of another "corporate" person to call, who gave me the same runaround that Ryan was in town to issue refunds, and told me that he would call Ryan and tell him to call me. I told him to make sure Ryan called me that night, and I never heard from him.

This is unacceptable and I'm already in the process of filing a claim with the Business Bureau, and will also contact the local news channel. Apparently, I am far from the only customer of that shop to have complaints, so there should be at least a few of us. Your shop has blatantly stolen money from me, has robbed me of time, and has treated me absolutely pathetically since I first trusted your shop with my car and down payment.

These are photos of what my car looked like after sitting at Maaco for 6 weeks after I had already put $1000 down. It was the EXACT same as it was before I took the car in. All of the new body components had been installed by me prior to the car being brought in

Old 10-18-2016, 04:52 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sent you a pm.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:43 AM
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Well damn.

Interested to see what actually comes of this, hope it all works out for you in the end.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:14 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Spread the word on the various KC car groups. Best of luck
Old 03-06-2017, 11:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any update on this?
Old 03-10-2017, 07:42 AM
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by aralls
Any update on this?
Wondering the same thing.