Money and Investing Discuss stock picks, portfolios, retirement and other investment related topics.

business ideas 19 year old

Old 01-25-2015, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default business ideas 19 year old

Im looking at starting a business and have no idea was to what to di. Im 19 years old. I have money to invest in the business around 1,000 but want something i can make a living at. I am getting my personal training certification but am not attending college. Any ideas ?
Old 01-25-2015, 12:30 PM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

Learn a trade and something you are interested in. There is a huge shortage of good people entering trades like welding and you could have your own shop downt he road and make good money.

On the personal training note I wouldn't waste your time. I have know several people who have done this and make shit once they have it. You'd be better off in beconing a realtor or something but again I would look into learning a trade over that.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

take the grand and spend it for a weekend with your girl, a grand is not going to do anything for a business. Most small businesses fail, lots barley make money, very very few are successful, Google the numbers, it is all hard work and broken dreams, shit just watch Shark Tank. You can dream of taking a whole $1000 and starting the next Facebook or Amazon in your Mom's basement. In your spare time you can sign with the MBL as a pitcher with a 200 million dollar contact.

Do not go to school for English or History, all you have is student loans to show for it.

Do what Manga_Spawn said, or sell X and crack, but never use!
Old 01-25-2015, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by DaGou
take the grand and spend it for a weekend with your girl, a grand is not going to do anything for a business. Most small businesses fail, lots barley make money, very very few are successful, Google the numbers, it is all hard work and broken dreams, shit just watch Shark Tank. You can dream of taking a whole $1000 and starting the next Facebook or Amazon in your Mom's basement. In your spare time you can sign with the MBL as a pitcher with a 200 million dollar contact.

Do not go to school for English or History, all you have is student loans to show for it.

Do what Manga_Spawn said, or sell X and crack, but never use!

I know a lot of people making a decent living as personal trainers And a lot of people on sark tank make it just because they get exposer to millions of viewers. I was thinking about auto detailing but dont know if thats really a viable trade
Old 01-25-2015, 04:49 PM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

^I was going to mention auto detailing. Some people have turned it into a full time business and they do mobile detailing. Experience is the key. I detail cars on the side to help pay for my race tires and track consumables. I hurt the next day, it definitely takes a lot of work. I am also getting older as I am 28 going on 29 years old. Do it while your young. I wouldn't do this as a full time job. It can be a great side business that can bring in extra money. I would learn a trade personally. Get a job in that trade with benefits, start stashing money in a retirement account/savings account, and have a side gig to make play money. If you get good at that trade you can branch off and start a business. Just another scenario to think about....
Old 01-25-2015, 04:50 PM
Community Organizer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Keep saving your money, be wise with it. $1,000 won't get you far but it's sure as hell worth holding onto. The trades are definitely a great place to be right now if you have any interest in them.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:08 AM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

take the $1000, buy beer, go to college. Drink a ton, f@#k a lot of girls. get good grades. Get some good internships for the summers. Network like crazy. Being social helps here. Than after college go make $$$.

Are learning trades good? Sure. Are you a mechanically inclined person? If you are it's not a bad way to go. But IMO theres not enough money in it. Doing something like basic sales well, will net you much higher $$ if you are good.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow. What advice, lol. First of all, you need to figure out if you want to be a true business owner with time freedom (I have 2 appointments a week I have to be at. That's it. Working on getting that to zero) ... or a solopreneur (trading your time for money). That $1,000 is best spent on business education. And I don't mean formal (school). I mean from someone who has been there and done that. You should be reading at least a book a month on business and entrepreneurship. If you are going to make it in business, it won't matter what the naysayers put out there. It will only motivate you. If they are deterring you already, you never had what it took anyway.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:09 AM

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,420 Posts

As I see it, the question is, what to do when you're 19 and have a $1K worth of F_ck money.

1. Education, whether in school or not, would not be a waste.
2. If you already know how to detail cars and/or have a usable skill, capital for that would not be a waste (usually, depending on the skill)
3. Putting the money in an IRA (or, at your age, Roth IRA) would not be a waste. Imagine for a second, you have a 40 (hopefully sooner, maybe later) year investment horizon. You put $1K into an IRA, and just track against a good benchmark (MSCI, Wilshire, S&P), it turns into more money compounded over 40 years. Will it let you retire? No. Will it keep you off the cat food only diet? Probably.
4. Spending it on a hot weekend with yourself is probably a waste, but you'll at least have a smile.
5. Spending it on your S.O. (and why you got an SO at 19?) and yourself, the money will disappear fast and you won't realize much of anything, unless you spend $100 on something you can't (legally) buy anyway so why in the Hell did I even mention this? So yeah, waste.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by pastoli
^I was going to mention auto detailing. Some people have turned it into a full time business and they do mobile detailing. Experience is the key. I detail cars on the side to help pay for my race tires and track consumables. I hurt the next day, it definitely takes a lot of work. I am also getting older as I am 28 going on 29 years old. Do it while your young. I wouldn't do this as a full time job. It can be a great side business that can bring in extra money. I would learn a trade personally. Get a job in that trade with benefits, start stashing money in a retirement account/savings account, and have a side gig to make play money. If you get good at that trade you can branch off and start a business. Just another scenario to think about....
If you're considering auto detailing (or any market), then def look into demand. This is strictly based in my area (a pretty high cost of living area), so obviously this will vary. I used to sell auto products with multiple detailing shops, one had his company turn pretty big, but he kept trying to move into repair as well as detailing (never got the confirmation if this was due to not eonugh income.. or just expanding). However on the other side, I had a personal friend who did this as a "every weekend thing" for two years (where he stated he did not make ANY money off it, from how narrowed the market was), before he finally went ahead and opened a full on detailing shop. unfortuntately i've lost contact with him, so not sure how it turned out.

However the landscaping market is insanely huge here. Theres "mom and pop shops" all over the place and everyone(that works within them), says they cannot keep up with the demand. Best part is, if you live in a high snow area, you can use the work trucks to plow snow

Quick Reply: business ideas 19 year old