Money and Investing Discuss stock picks, portfolios, retirement and other investment related topics.

If your girlfriend of 5 years were $5,500 in credit card debt.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default If your girlfriend of 5 years were $5,500 in credit card debt.

My girlfriend is $5500 in credit card debt and paying a very high interest payment. Long story short between her other bills, rent, horse, and car insurance she can put maybe $400-$500 dollars a month towards her debt. Shes been hovering around this amount for nearly 2 years now not getting ahead much. Here is the kicker tho, shes going to be losing her full time job soon ($450 a week) and will be going back to school in August for nursing. She does teach horse backiding lessons at night for extra money maybe $150 a week. So she will only be making that a week when she starts school. Shes gonna be gefting around $12k grant money but her schooling is gonna be around that. She will probably have to take school loans out to cover any overage, or to pay me back. I want to help her out and she needs it but I as well as her are worried how she will pay me back back in a timely manor 6-9 months id prefer max. She is moving into my house (I own mortgage free!) In about 2 months her school is nearby and I offered to let her stay free. I know it doesnt sound safe but Id like to help her out. I want your opinions guys!
Old 06-05-2013, 05:24 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

If she's a keeper bail her out on condition she cuts up her credit card and reverts to a debit card. Otherwise the same situation will occur.

Establish repayments that are realistic, rather than over committing repayment levels and defaulting.

See whether she can sell anything to assist with funding.

Consider whether another|alternate job is required.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:39 PM

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by clio
If she's a keeper bail her out on condition she cuts up her credit card and reverts to a debit card. Otherwise the same situation will occur.

Establish repayments that are realistic, rather than over committing repayment levels and defaulting.

See whether she can sell anything to assist with funding.

Consider whether another|alternate job is required.

This boy is good....couldn't have said any better. Make sure she is monogamous
Old 06-05-2013, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know you've been with your GF for 5 years. If you two are together for the long haul, follow clio's advice.

I was in a long term relationship with my ex. Things turned sour and I ended up losing money because of her. My advice is just to watch yourself. You're just the BF. You're not the husband, yet. Money problems can kill a relationship, so think this one through.

I would let her stay at my house rent free. I would not lend her money, but let her take a subsidized loan. It's her school. It's her responsibility.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:05 AM

Perhaps she should reconsider going back to school at this point. She should eliminate the debt she currently has now before potentially acquiring more.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:27 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You ought to watch a couple of weeks of "Judge Judy" shows before making a decision.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:31 AM
Banned

To the OP do have you lived together before? From my experiences try to see if you can even deal with seeing her 24/7 before you step in shit and pay her bills lol I liked my GF more when we lived seperately than now that she lives with me lol There's days I want to kick her the fawk out cause Im used to peace and quiet..
Old 06-06-2013, 01:14 PM

We lived together 4 outa the 5 years. She moved 45 minutes out/away to be closer to her full time job, horse, and teaching lessons. We got along well enough although I do love my quiet time lol.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:10 PM

I talked to her again tonight about it shes going in the next week to meet at the college to find.out the exact amount of grants/scholarships/fed loans shes approved for as this year will be her first shes considered an "independent" so she will be eligible for more $ ...I told her I want a concrete pay me back plan which is what she wants as well.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:16 PM
Community Organizer

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

I have never trusted women with money, but I know there are ones out there that will pay you back.

I would only do this if she is a keeper and understands what you are doing for her. But if she can take loans, have her take them as its her education, not yours. I would tell you to help her with smaller items like school books (again, if she is a keeper)

Quick Reply: If your girlfriend of 5 years were $5,500 in credit card debt.