Nevada S2000 Owners Las Vegas, Nevada and area

Strong fuel / gas smell...help!

Old 10-11-2011, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

okay so thanks to your thread and many other i have deduced the problem on my end.

step one to figuring out if the problem is the same as mine!
-smell your engine bay and all around the compartment, if the fuel smell is not coming from this area it is not a fuel pump related issue!
TWO
-immediately after turning off your car(or when you notice the smell), smell all around your fuel cap(but don't get high)and see if the stench is strongest here... if the smell seems to be emitting from this area YOUR FUEL CAP MAY BE BAD! next, after deducing that the smell is strongest where you refuel open the door and put your ear close to the fuel cap(without un screwing the cap), if you notice a faint seeping sound (as in pressure leaking from fuel tank) YOUR FUEL CAP IS DEFIANTLY BAD!

i noticed that this only happens after pressure has built up (which is much valued) in the gas container leading to a leak, which makes sense for those individuals (such as me) who live in hot climate areas.

i was very annoyed at this issue and noticed my fuel economy had substantially dropped! my mile per gallon were going down hill and when gas is much valued you don't want this! i noticed the smell was not emitting from my engine bay, and more so from where the fuel cap is located(behind the driver-side rear wheel)! i also noticed a small *fissing* noise from my fuel cap which sounded like a small leak (say from an air compressor with a leaky valve) i then pulled off my fuel cap and noticed that the main seal had two minor fracture cracks in them, which would easily mean that gas could escape due to increased pressure build up. (not liquid gas but gas gas... you know what i mean, like a co2 gas.. yea!) anyways i found that the solution to this issue was as easy as .... you guessed it ... a new fuel cap! their about $23.50(+tax) at your local Honda dealer[part number '17670-SM4-A04']... may be less if you live near an on-line OEM parts dealer due to low shipping rates, but in my case more expensive on-line! so please spread the word since many seemed to be confused and without an answer to this issue!

but this was in my case and seems to be that of many others as the smell is emitting from the rear driver side region!
Old 03-24-2015, 01:36 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys I've been having the same trouble lately too..

I tried a new gas cap, but that hasn't fixed it as the problem is still intermittent but does happen about once a week. I'm not sure what else to try... there are no leaks visible.

And no CEL's.
The following users liked this post:
icole (02-12-2023)
Old 03-24-2015, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by starbai
Guys I've been having the same trouble lately too..

I tried a new gas cap, but that hasn't fixed it as the problem is still intermittent but does happen about once a week. I'm not sure what else to try... there are no leaks visible.

And no CEL's.
what year is your car?
Old 03-18-2017, 10:47 AM

Update??? Did the new fuel cap work for everyone?
Im on aem ems. I read it happands cause aem does not control the evap purge solenoid
Old 05-11-2018, 05:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys,
I know that this thread is very old, but I am having similar issues only under the following conditions:
- tank is half full
- he smell is coming out of the fuel cap
- right after I turn off my engine.
I am thinking of replacing the cap and see what happens. Any other thoughts?

Please let me know.

Thank you,

sebo
Old 05-19-2018, 07:33 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Does this smell like raw gasoline or like a semi burnt mixture. I have some strong fumes coming from my rear end too
Old 05-19-2018, 07:49 PM

This smells like raw gasoline.
I bought a new Fuel Cap and just got it few days ago. At the moment there is no smell at all, but the tank is almost full. I will update as soon as I go through one tank of gas.

Before I looked at this post, I did a sniff test and it really was strong by the fuel cap.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Murk
what year is your car?
The following users liked this post:
icole (02-12-2023)
Old 02-12-2023, 01:15 PM

Default Has anyone figured this out?

I have an 05. When it’s warm out and I drive a lot I get the smell of fresh gas. I have to leave the car out of the garage for a while or my whole house stinks. But it’s not consistent and I go most of winter with no issue. I replaced the gas cap and it still happens. I’m wondering if it could be a seal at the fuel pump? Not sure whether it only happens when the tank is full but I will monitor that now.