New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

12v Tap Question.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12v Tap Question.

I have 3 gauges and a boost controller to install. They all require a 12v connection.

I found a tap that everyone uses for there GPS/Radar dectector that is a 12v. My question is. Is it possible to put all 4 of my devices into 1 tap? Or do I have to look for 3 other 12v tap locations?
Old 10-24-2011, 12:12 PM
Community Organizer

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

You might be maxing out the circuit on that if you hook it all up to one source.

Might need to hookup a relay off the switched power and you could run everything you need. That would need to be powered off the battery with a fuse within 12" of the battery.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup... You might want to put in a terminal strip or something that'll make life easier. That's what I did. It would look something like this:

The bottom right is where the power comes in. Then it's jumpered across the top. So each of the three other positions gets power. So then you just screw in your connections as you need them. Unlike the picture above I you should leave the insulation on your jumpered connections. The picture there is umm, not a good idea to leave the power line exposed. On mine I just cut a line with a dremel through the plastic and the wire runs straight across under the screws so it's protected and looks much cleaner. If I happen to be under the car I'll take a pic of it.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Pinky
You might be maxing out the circuit on that if you hook it all up to one source.

Might need to hookup a relay off the switched power and you could run everything you need. That would need to be powered off the battery with a fuse within 12" of the battery.

Good point.I would assume gauges don't draw many amps, but not sure about boost controllers. He could always always add it to another circuit with an "Add-A-Fuse":

Old 10-24-2011, 12:31 PM

Kenta, I'll probably just use that 1 tap to do the 3 gauges and use the add a fuse for the boost controller. From this diagram do you know which fuse is a 12v that I can use a add a fuse with?
Old 10-24-2011, 12:32 PM

Ack, the wideband also needs a 12v lol not just the gauge.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:09 PM

Here's the strip I used. The white wire (telephone wire) is my hardwired radar detector, the other two reds are gauges. I still have three open spots. The black wire (i know, I didn't have a good color) goes to the tap and runs through the entire terminal block.

Looks a little messy, but it's easy enough to add and remove things with a phillips.

As for the add-a-fuse I would tap into something that's not used as often. Maybe #24 "Spot lights, trunk light", I guess if you need more amps #26 maybe? When I think about it the car will be off most times you use the keyless locks or trunk popper anyway. When the car is on you'll never really use these and if you do it will be only for a brief moment.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:22 PM

Thanks Kenta. I found the strip at radioshack. Do you think the power wire will need an inline fuse? Or am I ok without one?

This is what I just made. Again not sure If I need that inline fuse. Or should I be wiring a individual fuse for each device?
Old 10-24-2011, 05:07 PM

Upon further research I found out all my gauges draw about 1 mA. They said one 12v source should be able to power on multiple gauges. As for the Greddy Boost controller I'm installing, I think I will tap into the cigarette lighter as I'm going to hide the controller in the secret compartment.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:02 PM

In line fuse is always a good idea. Nice work

Quick Reply: 12v Tap Question.