New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

Subaru BRZ / Scion FR-S

Old 12-01-2011, 11:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Subaru BRZ / Scion FR-S

I'm sure most of us have heard something or other by now about this car... but now that the details are largely out, I kinda am disappointed. My opinion is too much money for not enough power. Everything else about it looks great, and I'm happy that somoene still wants to build a good sports car.

So, for ~$28k and aggressive styling, is 197 HP enough? I think I'd be a tad disappointed, even if it handles as well as it claims. While it weighs 110 lbs less than the S2000, it's got 43 fewer HP. It seems fun, but for that coin, I'd get a used S2000 instead.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...auto-show-news
Old 12-01-2011, 11:53 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

^ I agree.

It didn't quite come out like I expected it too. There are some body styling changes that I am not a fan off (the flat section on the front fenders near the A-pillar for example) and being under powered. I suspect in a year or two Subaru will step to the plate and bump it up with a "STi" version... But then again Toyota would have to follow suit or watch sales slip the Suby...

I will be watching for Car and Driver/MotorTrend/etc for a performance review though!
Old 12-01-2011, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by SilverS2kF22C1
^ I agree.

It didn't quite come out like I expected it too. There are some body styling changes that I am not a fan off (the flat section on the front fenders near the A-pillar for example) and being under powered. I suspect in a year or two Subaru will step to the plate and bump it up with a "STi" version... But then again Toyota would have to follow suit or watch sales slip the Suby...

I will be watching for Car and Driver/MotorTrend/etc for a performance review though!
If this thing was going to be closer in price to the Miata, it'd be a winner. But $28k is a lot of money when many mid-range sedans are coming with a lot more power for the money.

Obviously, as S2000 owners, we know there's more to a car than the power. But something that *looks* as exciting as that thing should really *be* exciting.

The Miata is as fun as it looks, perhaps moreso. But nobody gets in one and goes "well, I thought it'd have more oomph."

I guess I'm also sad that there's no new S2000. I need more hot new sports cars to come out now, so I have something to choose from on the used market in the coming years!!!
Old 12-01-2011, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like it .. it is priced better than the $40k estimates .

Yes I disappointedted in the power. if it was a 200hp turbo car I would not mind as much . But being a direct injection , 12.5 compression NA just does not make it boost friendly. I will have to sim th emotor once I can get more details on it or I should say have Giles

I have been thinking of one as I can trade in the XB and have somethidevelopevlope parts for before it gets played out I am kinda liking the BRZ more though . But I do sponser the NE subaru forum .. so its a toss up for me. Guess it will be to who wants to give me the better deal on one. I wont pay list for one
Old 12-01-2011, 04:29 PM

Nice - I was just going to start a thread about this Subi.

Though I haven't ever been a fan of their styling, this model has really got he juices flowing. Really sexy, but, I do wish it had more to offer under the hood. I can't imagine an all wheel drive system wouldn't rob even more of the power already proving to be less than a nice used S.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:46 PM

I read that they wanted to give the owners an easily modifyible (sp) car. I figure that the second of these cars to hit the States will become turbod by the owner. Watch for this car at the 2012 SEMA show. Many vendors will have aftermarket pieces for it.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:54 PM

Heaps of new pictures and videos have been released about the new Toyota GT 86; http://www.allcarwiki.com/wiki/Toyota_GT-86

There's big differences between the JDM, EURO and USDM cars. The Scion FR-S pics have been released as well. Not sure which version Australia would get, but I'm guessing it'd be a combination of the Euro GT 86 and the US FR-S.

The interior is looking pretty hideous in the Scion though:

Old 12-02-2011, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by ScottyBallistic
I like it .. it is priced better than the $40k estimates .

Yes I disappointedted in the power. if it was a 200hp turbo car I would not mind as much . But being a direct injection , 12.5 compression NA just does not make it boost friendly.
That was my thought. I've never had a turbo car, much less done the job myself, but it seemed like it wouldn't be particularly easy or cheap to get much more power out of that engine. Would the n/a boxer engine style make it tough to retrofit a turbo onto? I wonder if it's a true dual exhaust on the car. And from what I've read, this 2.0 boxer block is all-new, on the base model Impreza, which has no turbo... so I don't think there are even any OEM turbo-ready manifolds to snag.

I'm sure people will mod the car like crazy, but it seems like an inconvenient vehicle to add any real power to. Especially for anyone without a ton of cash.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:26 AM

Nothing really excites me about the interior. Maybe it would look better with options added.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:39 AM

This is promising

http://wot.motortrend.com/we-hear-to...86-142173.html

Quick Reply: Subaru BRZ / Scion FR-S