New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

The Holidays! They are fast approaching

Old 11-29-2011, 05:15 AM

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,619 Posts
Default The Holidays! They are fast approaching

Thanksgiving has come and gone. Next up, Christmas.

The holidays just aren't the holidays unless I have a "ticker" counting down until they are OVER!

It's not my favorite time of year, but I'm trying not to be so "Grinchy" this year. Last night at my exercise class, we danced to Christmas music and I actually enjoyed it. My "grinchness" could be in danger! I took the granddaughter shopping on Sunday and she selected many of her own presents, and we had a girls' lunch thankfully, not at Wendy's or Mc'D's! That was fun.

I enjoy celebrating the holiday with the grandkids, but other demands of the season tend to annoy me. We fuss less than we used to and don't feel the need to participate in every gathering. That works for us. I still think a Caribbean vacation at Christmas would be best way to celebrate the Holidays.

So, are you folks into the holiday celebrations, or would you rather be on a desert island?
Old 11-29-2011, 05:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With all of your colorful sigs I would have never known you to be a Grinch! Though I can see some reasons for Grinchy-ness, it's just not in me. Personally, I've been rocking out to Christmas music, top down, since it started playing on the radio earlier this month. I guess it's because I snowboard and use the snow for things aside from an object to move from one place to another
Old 11-29-2011, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by ZOMG.S2K
With all of your colorful sigs I would have never known you to be a Grinch! Though I can see some reasons for Grinchy-ness, it's just not in me. Personally, I've been rocking out to Christmas music, top down, since it started playing on the radio earlier this month. I guess it's because I snowboard and use the snow for things aside from an object to move from one place to another
Early Grinchy-ness came from too many people making demands on our time. "When can you be here"? "You are staying for supper, right?" going to the trouble to make a Christmas dinner only to have cranky grandkids because their parent let them stay up too late and so on. Then there is buying presents for people who are fortunate and really need nothing and kind of losing the meaning of Christmas in the process. It just wasn't fun.

We've found a few ways to work around things. We celebrate Christmas with the grandkids the Sunday before. We have more time with them, they are not cranky and tired, and we order pizza. Simple and more enjoyable. In the spirit of giving, I make sure to drop some $ in the red kettle every time I walk by a bell ringer, I donate to whatever causes the cashiers at various stores request, and I buy a toy or two for the kids that might not have much of a Christmas. It's a little bit of "Grinch be gone."
Old 11-29-2011, 09:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm screwed this year. I haven't done anything yet, and I'm about to go on business travel for 14 days. It's going to be December 19th when I come back. That gives me just a couple days to put up the tree, shop, and decorate the house! Like I said, I'm screwed!

-Mike
Old 11-29-2011, 09:39 AM

Trees up!
Old 11-29-2011, 10:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I'm just not feeling it yet. Maybe once the calendar says December. Or when it stops being so warm out. (Not that I mind it all that much). I'm listening to Christmas music as well, but I'm still not in the mood.

Our kiddo is turning 1 this Saturday, so we're having family over to celebrate. Everyone has been spot on - it feels like my life is accelerating - despite all the memories, this was by far the fastest a year has gone by.

We're planning to put a tree up this Sunday, so I hope I get into a better mood by then. I'm not grinchy - just tired. Very tired.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by daktruckie99
I'm screwed this year. I haven't done anything yet, and I'm about to go on business travel for 14 days. It's going to be December 19th when I come back. That gives me just a couple days to put up the tree, shop, and decorate the house! Like I said, I'm screwed!

-Mike
Mike, better do your shopping on line!

Safe travels! Hope all is well.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by CTMechE
Personally, I'm just not feeling it yet. Maybe once the calendar says December. Or when it stops being so warm out. (Not that I mind it all that much). I'm listening to Christmas music as well, but I'm still not in the mood.

Our kiddo is turning 1 this Saturday, so we're having family over to celebrate. Everyone has been spot on - it feels like my life is accelerating - despite all the memories, this was by far the fastest a year has gone by.

We're planning to put a tree up this Sunday, so I hope I get into a better mood by then. I'm not grinchy - just tired. Very tired.
If you think this year went by fast, wait until you get to be the time goes even faster!

Happy Birthday to little Julia!
Old 11-29-2011, 10:22 AM

You guys have real or fake trees? I think it's too early for a real tree, doesn't it shed a ton towards the end of the month?
Old 11-29-2011, 11:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZOMG.S2K
You guys have real or fake trees? I think it's too early for a real tree, doesn't it shed a ton towards the end of the month?
We got real trees the past two years. They've held up pretty well, even when pre-cut. Trim the bottom few branches, but do not shave the bark off the trunk. Just before you put it in the stand, cut a quarter inch off the bottom of the trunk so that it can drink freely. Make sure you add water ASAP. Last year's stayed alive well over 5 weeks. I add some miracle gro plant food to the water (I don't know if it really helps or not, but I have plenty of houseplants that seem to like it) We also have hardwood floors, so cleanup was pretty easy. There are always needles on the floor, no matter how fresh the tree is. If I had carpet, I probably wouldn't bother with a real tree at all. I don't mind fake trees, I just don't really find them to be all that much easier if you take a look at the full Christmas tree process as a whole.

I've heard of some people getting potted trees, complete with root ball and dirt. They just wheel it in on a hand truck/furniture dolly. When the season's over, they plant it somewhere in their yard or woods. I have no idea where to get such a thing, though, but I kinda like the idea. It'd probably have to be a smaller tree, though.

Quick Reply: The Holidays! They are fast approaching