New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

Respray front bumper

Old 07-29-2016, 03:12 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

My 02 Sebring Silver needs the front bumper refinished. Roughly how much will it cost for a good shop to do the work? It will need to be sanded and sprayed.
Old 07-30-2016, 05:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an '05 SSM that had tons of rock chips on the front bumper. I took it to a well-known shop recommended to me by a fellow S2K owner/friend. I left the car with them and let them do their thing. I discussed paint matching with the "hands-on" owner of the shop and he explained the difficulty in matching metallic paint on a plastic bumper, citing direction of spray, volume and metallic particle layering. I got a good understanding of the process and hoped for the best.

I got the car back a few days later and was initially happy with a new paint job and to finally have it done. After a couple of days, I looked at it a little harder and noticed differences in the color, especially when looked at certain angles. Now, just debating having the shop respray it to get it closer, but it may not be worth the trouble of getting a rental car and all that business.
Old 09-20-2016, 05:08 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Well, now I have a dent in the driver's side door. It was pretty small but right near the leading edge. I did my best to pull it out and it looks ok, but I can still see some ripples. So I may have a couple of things for a body shop to do. I think I need to schedule a meet just to assemble a panel of wise S2000 owners to take a look at the car and give me their thoughts.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:32 AM
EOE

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by StrateUpS2K
I have an '05 SSM that had tons of rock chips on the front bumper. I took it to a well-known shop recommended to me by a fellow S2K owner/friend. I left the car with them and let them do their thing. I discussed paint matching with the "hands-on" owner of the shop and he explained the difficulty in matching metallic paint on a plastic bumper, citing direction of spray, volume and metallic particle layering. I got a good understanding of the process and hoped for the best.

I got the car back a few days later and was initially happy with a new paint job and to finally have it done. After a couple of days, I looked at it a little harder and noticed differences in the color, especially when looked at certain angles. Now, just debating having the shop respray it to get it closer, but it may not be worth the trouble of getting a rental car and all that business.
The only solution that I have found after countless bumper resprays, and I mean countless... is to ask them to blend into the fenders. Even if it's extra if you're okay with blending into perfectly fine body[parts, then do it. However if you'd rather have everything else to still be original then you have to deal with shade difference. There is really no way of making it perfect again once resprayed, no matter how many times you try.

Blend or don't blend, pick your poison.

Old 09-27-2016, 01:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Bill,
Well, as life would have it my Focus ST bumper was struck by a flying tire tread (Yay for re-treads!!) a few weeks ago taking out the grill, cracking the bumper before smashing the fog lamp....
I just got it back yesterday from Sansossio's and they did a great job. OEM bumper, color is a perfect match and he has a guy who did a great job applying the clear bra (single sheet - not a kit).
In addition he has a good PDR guy. We'll be bringing the S there in the spring to have a few imperfections taken out.

Thought I would share.
Ken
Old 11-13-2017, 07:33 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Well, more than a year later and I MUST get body work done. I know have an ugly scratch on the hood of my car. I just called Sansossio and I am going to see them tomorrow of Thursday morning.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:29 AM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

Well, more than a year later ...
I was wondering if I shouldn't try to make it to the "Palmer event" on Saturday until I realized.

Too bad, too. Except for bringing the car home from Saratoga, I don't think I've driven it since July.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:45 AM

I ended up having my bumper resprayed by my local body shop, it came out great. Then, not two weeks later, I was driving on the interstate at night and a small object appeared in front of me. Not enough time to avoid it. Thankfully not much damage at all. But, the lower edge of the front bumper took a hit and we ended up concluding that it needed to be replaced. So, now I have a new bumper. One missing vin. Still, it looks great now. I have a good body shop. The owner has become a friend after repairing all the various body damage resulting from three teen aged children. Three kids. Two accidents each. So six repairs. Ugh.

Last edited by rpg51; 11-13-2017 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:05 PM
Community Organizer

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts

^^^Hope you kept your OEM bumper with the VIN, anything can be fixed except for a missing VIN coded part.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Hfreak
^^^Hope you kept your OEM bumper with the VIN, anything can be fixed except for a missing VIN coded part.
Sadly, and stupidly, I did not keep the OEM bumper. Dumb.

Quick Reply: Respray front bumper