New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

Things to do and things to come for the forum

Old 01-18-2017, 12:24 AM
Spotter

Received 277 Likes on 232 Posts
Exclamation Things to do and things to come for the forum

Hey all,
Super happy to be the new CO for the forum. Still working out some kinks on how to actually use my moderator functions / actually see if they work but wanted to lay out a few things I'd like to achieve over the coming season and some quick things I'm planning on implementing
Please do throw in suggestions, ideas, tell me what you think is smart, stupid, etc etc.

S2K Specific Events
1. Tech Day - My first ever s2000 meet was a Tech day and as a new owner it was probably the best thing that ever happened to me. I for one realized how easy this car is to work on and it sparked a DIY feeling in me which went from changing my own oil, to installing my supercharger, to throwing in a new clutch.
Hoping to have someone throw up their hand to host this. I'm happy to put the organization touches to this, by getting all the supplies, tools, and some food / beers together to make it a social / learning experience

2. Dragon trip? - I've already posted some information up here, but still throwing out some rope to see if anyone would care to join me on the dragon trip. I'm doing a Tuesday-Sunday (Maybe Monday depending on how far I can get on the way back) trip this year
Already have a pretty massive convoy coming from Canada where I plan on meeting the guys, but if we have anyone willing to do the trip with me, happy to make a route planned up to meet these guys at the first destination.

3. Monthly meets - For now I'm thinking of starting these later in the season once we get some more forum activity sparked but please throw some ideas out there if you know of a parking lot which is lowered car friendly, some decent light and generally the mall cops keep to themselves.

4. Track days - I'm the biggest advocate for getting some track days set up. Still looking up options for tracks and groups that have open lapping sessions and looking at convertible rules especially for those without roll bars and harnesses

5. Longer local-ish drives - More adhoc for now and maybe more region specific. FRS2K did a nice drive last season which was a nice wine tour cruise / fall colors thing.

Non-S2000 specific events

I know a good chunk of forum activity has migrated to facebook. In that I feel like people have found groups like MassTuning.
They have a pretty solid calendar of car meets and I'm going to try and import the calendar in here and maybe see if I can split things up into CT, Mass, NH or at least group events that are easy to hit by region.

All this being said, turning this forum around isn't a one man job. I'm here to try and bring events to the forefront and organize as much as I can, and hopefully we get this community buzzing again and get some solid meets going!
Old 01-18-2017, 12:26 AM
Spotter

Also just to add, I live around the Cambridge / Somerville area, so if you ever see an Imola Mugen s2000 with Canadian plates (Yes I'm too damn lazy to change to Mass plates) that's me!
Old 01-18-2017, 06:17 AM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

Congratulations and good luck!

Coming over from Upstate - Regarding track days, we have 4 racetracks in New England. Many stock S2000 options exist. Folks just need to get off their duffs.

My suggestion is that you pick three dates for New England track day events (Lime Rock, Palmer and Thompson) and see what develops. And for sure join the Upstate group at Watkins Glen in July.

At the moment, NoDelta seems to be planning to run Lime Rock on April 24 with SCDA, then Palmer on June 5th. Shiv Joshi reported that he had signed up for Palmer on April 26th with rudmotorsports. I'll probably run at least one of these two events, most likely Palmer with rud on April 26th. Upstate (Aashish) is again definitely planning a special two days at Watkins Glen on July 17th & 18th. SCDA is expected to offer some discount to the group. The Upstate group is very friendly, New England more than welcome.

Posting the schedules. Palmer is most central to New England and SCDA has quite a few dates scheduled there. I think Palmer may be running some of its own events as well.

All of these options are stock S2000 friendly, but with the broomstick test. Solve that by running top up! I believe NASA-NE and SCDA do have some helmets available for rent.

NASA-NE
NASA Northeast National Auto Sports Association North East

March 27: New Jersey Motorsports Park - Lightning (Advanced HPDE Training available)
April 14: Lime Rock Park - All HPDE
April 24 & 25: Watkins Glen - All HPDE
May 5-7: New Jersey Motorsports Park - Lightning, All HPDE, TT, Racing & Competition School (Aashish!)
May 19: Lime Rock Park - half day - All HPDE
June 3-4: Pittsburgh International - All HPDE, TT & Racing
June 16-18: New Jersey Motorsports Park - Thunderbolt , All HPDE, TT, Racing & Competition Licensing School (Aashish!)
July 7-8: Pocono Double Infield - North South Option 2 - All HPDE, TT & Racing
July 28-29: Thompson - All HPDE
August 7: New Jersey Motorsports Park - Thunderbolt (Advanced HPDE Training available)
August 12: Pocono - Southeast Course (shared with IMPACT) All HPDE
August 25-26: Lime Rock Park All HPDE, TT, Racing - Unmuffled!
August 28-29: Watkins Glen - All HPDE
September 22-24 - Watkins Glen - All HPDE, TT, Racing
October 13-15 - New Jersey Motorsports Park - Thunderbolt , All HPDE, TT, Racing
November 4-5: New Jersey Motorsports Park - Lightning, All HPDE

Sports Car Driver's Association / SCDA -
http://www.scda1.com/

March 25 (Saturday) - Lime Rock Park
April 10 (Monday)- Palmer Motorsports Park
April 24 (Monday)- Lime Rock Park - also Car Control Clinic 9-12
May 5 - New Hampshire Motor Speedway
May 15 (Monday) - Thompson Speedway Motorsports Park
May 22 (Monday) - Lime Rock Park
June 5 (Monday) - Palmer Motorsports Park
June 29 (Thursday) - Lime Rock Park - also Car Control Clinic 9-12
July 17-18 (Monday - Tuesday) - Watkins Glen
July 24 (Monday) - Thompson Speedway Motorsports Park
August 7 (Monday) - New Hampshire Motor Speedway
August 14 (Monday) - Lime Rock Park - also Car Control Clinic 9-12
August 29 (Tuesday) - Palmer Motorsports Park
September 19 (Tuesday) - Lime Rock Park Car Control Clinic 9-12, Experienced drivers only 1-6 p.m
October 2 (Monday) - Thompson Speedway Motorsports Park
October 9 (Monday) - Lime Rock Park
October 17 (Tuesday) - Palmer Motorsports Park
October 28 (Saturday) - Lime Rock Park - Car Control Clinic 9-12, Main Track 1-6 p.m.
November 11 (Saturday) - Lime Rock Park - Car Control Clinic 9-12, Ian Prout Memorial Event - Main Track 1-6 p.m.

rud Motorsports
http://www.rudmotorsports.com/

April 26 - Palmer

CHIN Motorsports
Chin Motorsports HPDE Track Days
Abbreviated Schedule: I've posted VIR dates for the benefit of some because that's my favorite track. But I have to drive VIR probably does not allow the stock S2000. From CHIN's website: "VIR has a requirement for fixed 4-point (or better) roll bars, or 3-point hoops behind the seat for roadsters. This is a strict track standard. Street convertibles and cabriolets with OEM roll protection are generally NOT ACCEPTED."

March 4-5: VIR - 2 courses
April 24: - VIR - Open Track Skilled Driver only
May 6-7: New Jersey Motorsports - Thunderbolt
May 15-16: Watkins Glen
May 20-21: Palmer
May 27-28: Memorial Day Weekend - Pittsburg International (old Beaver Run)
June 5-6: VIR
July 1-2: VIR
July 5-6: Watkins Glen: Note: Wednesday, Thursday
August 12-13: Summit Point
September 2: Palmer
September 4-5: Watkins Glen (Is the 4th Labor Day?)

September 23-24: Pittsburg International
October 22-23: VIR

Hooked on Driving
https://www.hookedondriving.com/home

We've never driven with this group, but the web page indicates that stock S2000s are allowed. Perhaps more entry level, but a little less expensive. From the website: "Most frequently, these HOD track events are broken into 4 run groups, A, beginner, B, intermediate, C, advanced and D, for race-prepped cars and competition drivers. Drivers will be on course approximately 2 hours."

March 11-12: Dominion Raceway
March 25-26: New Jersey Motorsports Park - Thunderbolt
April 17-18: Watkins Glen - Full Course $825
May 21: Pocono (Mega Course - whatever configuration that might be!) $415
June 9-10: Lime Rock (unmuffled) - $455
July 9: Pocono - "full 3.51 mile course" $780
July 29-30: Summit Point - $495
August 12-13: New Jersey Motorsports Park - Lightning?? $775
September 9-10: New Jersey Motorsports Park - $775
October 13-15: 3 days! Watkins Glen $1,175

SCCA Track Nights in America (pending)

Last edited by blueosprey90; 01-18-2017 at 06:20 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:45 AM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

And blueosprey90 we gotta get ya active in NE again.
The truth is that I never was active in New England. Missed all of the Litchfield County drives even though they were right in my back yard. Not necessarily by choice. No time; rarely around. Indeed, my dance card for 2017 is already quite full.

But I do have the ability to cut work during the week for a track day or two. I mean, what's more important? A day at work or a day at the track?
Old 01-20-2017, 06:22 AM

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Thanks for your efforts!! Depending on timing, if there is a meet in the SE Mass area, we'll see if we can make it.

One suggestion if I may. When you plan a meet, sometimes folks start to chime in with their opinions as to date, location, or you get a lot of "you should, or how about?" ignore them. unless you have asked for input. It just mucks things up.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:42 AM
IMP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NER SCCA AutoX at Devens schedule was released:

4/8 – SCCA Starting Line School
4/9 – NER Points Event 1
4/23 – NER Points Event 2
5/13 – NER Points Event 3.
6/17 – NER Points Event 4 and Day 1 SCCA Devens Championship Tour
6/18 – NER Points Event 5 and Day 2 SCCA Devens Championship Tour
7/2 – NER Points Event 6
7/15 & 16 – Evolution Performance Driving School
7/23 – NER Points Event 7
8/20 – NER Points Event 8
9/24 – NER Points Event 9
10/8 – NER Stirling Moss Championship
10/29 – NER Team Challenge
Old 02-01-2017, 09:41 AM
Spotter

Thanks for the input guys,

Trying to figure out what the best way to collect all this information is and have it available on the boards. Pretty hard fitting all of this onto a calendar!
Old 02-15-2017, 11:11 AM
EOE

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Would be exciting to see NE S2KI.com come alive again. It's been pretty dead for some time now.