New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

help...car wont start

Old 03-31-2013, 08:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default help...car wont start

Hey guys, Ive searched but could not find any info related to my issue-if any one can help it would be greatly appreciated.

i don't drive my car much in the winter, and for the 2mo i have not driven the car. The battery completely died, so i hooked it up to a battery tender and charged the battery up. when i went to start the car i noticed:

viper 5000 alarm led was on constant steady on.
radio needed to have the code put in.

i insert the key and the dash lights up as normal, all lights work (headlights/interior etc).
i press the start button and nothing happens.
  • no noise from the starter
  • no clicking.

now for a little back ground info.. last year the battery died, but instead of the car not turning on, the alarm system (viper 5000) stopped working. the remotes did not lock/unlock etc or do anything. i tried:
  • pairing the remotes
  • re-syncing them by pressing the arm button 10 times
  • programing the buttons. ( would not even respo9nd to attempts to program)
  • put in valet (did not respond)

the alarm was installed by Jose from s2ki, which i tried numerous times to have him look at it, to troubleshoot or fix it, but he just didn't have the time. so i just left it as it was, since the car still functioned.

fast-forward to the present and now the car wont start.. i thought it could be the immobilizer, but the green key sign goes off and does not blink.
  • i tried using different keys
  • locking/unlocking the door with the key.

as of now i have disconnected the battery and will let it sit for a bit to see if that resets anything.

my next step is to attempt to just take the alarm brain out. does any one know if this would solve the problem?
any other ideas? any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:13 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had that happened befor.
Hook up a new or differnt cars battery n try.
That's how i started ny car last time i rebuild my supercharger
Good luck
Old 03-31-2013, 09:34 AM

If it was the battery...wouldn't the car at least try to turn over? Or the lights would dim when pressing the start Button? Because none of those happen..which lead me to believe it maybe something else.?
Old 03-31-2013, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't recall exactly what my issue was once (similar to yours) but I also did what Leo did and that handled the problem. If you don't start the car often through the winter this will keep happening. If you don't want to have to start it you should pull the battery out and winterize your car. There is a list somewhere.

Edit* battery tender won't fully bring a battery back.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:48 AM

If it was the battery...wouldn't the car at least try to turn over? Or the lights would dim when pressing the start Button? Because none of those happen..which lead me to believe it maybe something else.?
Old 03-31-2013, 09:49 AM

Thanks..ill try it.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:23 AM

No, if your battery is totally dead nothing would happen. You have to remember that we have push button start also.

It sounds like your battery is totally dead.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:39 AM

No its not totally dead.. the cluster turns on...the headlights turn on, and interior lights/radio turn on.
Usually when the battery is dead..it will crank but than everytjing goes dead..lights etc..
Im gonna try a new battery, hopefully that works.. but i think it maybe the alarm is keepimg it from turning on.

Also when i put it on the tender..the tender has a battery status reader..and it reads the battery as vharged.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:40 PM

If viper led is on constant steady on, doesn't that mean the alarm is disabled? It shouldn't have anything to do with starting problem though. You sure it is not the immobilizer? It sure sounds like it. How about get the alarm system back online and try starting again? If Jose installed your alarm, there is a sequence to turn it on and off. PM me if you dont know how to do it. I have the same system like yours. Good Luck.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:33 PM

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

i make sure my battery is fully charged then when winter comes i put my battery tender on it, and so far (2yrs) so good!!!

Quick Reply: help...car wont start