New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

Recommended shop for front lip installation in NNJ

Old 11-16-2016, 09:59 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Recommended shop for front lip installation in NNJ

Hey guys,

I ordered RSG Gears Lip weeks ago, painted. I don't know why but when I try to install it, it doesn't seem to fit perfectly on the front bumper. It is partially locked up to the bumper, with some gap between the middle of the bumper and the lip, especially near the curve from the front of the lip to the sides. If you push the lip, it could move up and down a bit, which is definitely not what it should be like. (I did use some strength to stretch the lip and put it on.)

I don't know what's going on. As other members on s2ki said, RSG Gears Lip should be a pretty perfect fit to OEM AP1 bumper, and RSG told me that they tried the lip on their s2000 before shipping it. I trust them. However, this stuff is PU so you know, ...

I have met up with BOA here in NNJ Monday evening and he recommended me to take it to a body shop for the installation.

I did go to one of the shops in the area. Bergen Imports in NNJ asked for 250 bucks for the installation, which was crazy. They said they were gonna need to heat it up, stretch it to fit 100% to the bumper and let it sit for couple of hours.

So I am thinking, do you guys
1) know any tricks or tips for RSG gears lip installation? (Am I wrong somewhere?)
2) any other good body shop that I could have a try? (With some reasonable price maybe)
3) some guy in this community that I might ask for help?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-16-2016, 11:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

How is it held on right now? Does it use existing screws on the bottom? I would run double sided tape for the whole length of the top edge and press it flush to the bumper from the middle out, then do the screws on the wings/bottom last. If it's PU, a heatgun might help soften the material and prevent the paint from cracking. Harbor Freight sells one for under $10.

$250 is way too much! If all else fails, maybe I can take a look at it this weekend and we'll give it a shot.
The following users liked this post:
Lawrenceh (11-16-2016)
Old 11-16-2016, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Grilla
How is it held on right now? Does it use existing screws on the bottom? I would run double sided tape for the whole length of the top edge and press it flush to the bumper from the middle out, then do the screws on the wings/bottom last. If it's PU, a heatgun might help soften the material and prevent the paint from cracking. Harbor Freight sells one for under $10.

$250 is way too much! If all else fails, maybe I can take a look at it this weekend and we'll give it a shot.
I didn't use screws on the bottom and RSG said I didn't need to. Only four self-tapping screws, two for each side are needed. I will post some more pics of the fitment tonight. You will see it's actually not good at all.

I know I could use heatgun or double-sided tape, but since I am new, just got my s2k for several months and don't want to ruin this nice lip, I am kinda afraid of really starting working on it. I have got this 250 quote from a body shop, tried myself, called RSG for some help.. but nothing really helps.. That's the reason I am asking for help.

Thanks for replying!!
Old 11-16-2016, 12:04 PM

Received 1,253 Likes on 763 Posts

That might be up S~factor's alley
Lawrenceh (11-16-2016)
Old 11-16-2016, 05:56 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with Billman. I would contact Ray aka S~factor who is very good at this type of installation regardless if it fits like oem or custom. He now lives in PA but worth the trip..

Last edited by Billman250; 11-17-2016 at 11:21 AM.
Lawrenceh (11-16-2016)
Old 11-21-2016, 08:15 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Been talking to him. He's gonna try to fix this himself by heating it up before he even tries to travel to Allentown.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by S~Factor

Been talking to him. He's gonna try to fix this himself by heating it up before he even tries to travel to Allentown.
I tried to do it without a heat gun and it didn't work.. That poly urethane lip was probably deformed.. Now it's either me heating it up and making it fit or heading to Allentown..
Old 11-21-2016, 09:44 AM

Mine is exactly the same problem as the one posted here: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-mo...-help-1084698/

Well, I don't see any answer there but heating it up and using double-sided tapes..
Old 11-21-2016, 11:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i work at autocouture motoring, we could put it on for you. not trying to promote, just looking to help out
Lawrenceh (11-21-2016)
Old 11-30-2016, 10:58 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

once you finally get it fit properly, get a front splitter from s factor to protect the investment
Lawrenceh (11-30-2016)

Quick Reply: Recommended shop for front lip installation in NNJ