New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

#59 Race Blog

Old 01-05-2015, 03:52 AM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

I put the Canton oil pan on my car last summer. I probably don't drive aggressively enough to need it, but better safe than sorry.

It was a little tricky to fit - tight around the oil pick up - and I think it may be leaking, but I've tightened it up and time will tell. I did not like the allen headed screws provided for installation, and if I take it off to fix the leak, I'll go back to the original installation bolts.

The cover for the flywheel didn't fit at all, apparently because the AP-2 uses a different, thicker flywheel. I had to fashion my own cover from some sheet steel I had laying around. It is a little crude and a some point, I will make a new one. I want it to extend forward and cover all of the exposed underside of the engine.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:23 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
I put the Canton oil pan on my car last summer. I probably don't drive aggressively enough to need it, but better safe than sorry.

It was a little tricky to fit - tight around the oil pick up - and I think it may be leaking, but I've tightened it up and time will tell. I did not like the allen headed screws provided for installation, and if I take it off to fix the leak, I'll go back to the original installation bolts.

The cover for the flywheel didn't fit at all, apparently because the AP-2 uses a different, thicker flywheel. I had to fashion my own cover from some sheet steel I had laying around. It is a little crude and a some point, I will make a new one. I want it to extend forward and cover all of the exposed underside of the engine.
Jeff,

I picked up the Canton off the forums and it was mainly due to the price (someone was dumping parts cheap). I know they work as advertised and the fact that this holds one extra quart will be a bonus.
It will work nicely with my SC setup if and when I decide to re-install it. For 2015 and 2016 the car will be run without the super charger.
Old 01-17-2015, 07:20 AM

On my way home last evening I stopped at Panera to pick up some soup and once I got back in my car a person rushed my car and demanded ......... wait for it........a STATUS on my race car build !

So there stood Mr A2 himself, rocking a fresh new mustached look, I hardly recognized him. SO after a brief conversation , we parted ways and as I drove home I realized I had not written an update in some time.

After my operation back in Nov I had some challenging times in the weeks that followed but I finally was back on my feet enough by Dec 6th to attend the MoHud Awards Banquet. Lisa and I had a good time seeing some of the SOLO gang and Patroon members. I gather some year end awards and looked forward to my next event with the NER chapter. I got the FLU and never made the January event at Mt Snow.

After that I made steady progress and finally began to work out again, and made several trip to visit Quantum to discuss my engine build for 2015. The spare engine had been torn apart by Steve and parts inspected.
The build called for a bump up to a 2.2L displacement and I needed to find an AP2 crank. A quick check resulted in a sobering realization that HONDA Japan had stopped producing the AP2 2.2L F22c crank !!.
This was not what we had expected and the search began to source a used 2.2L crank. We quickly found that this became a very hard part to find, a real unicorn and anyone that has one usually doesn't want to part with it.

I was able to find one at work of all places and it had been removed from a low mileage AP2 because of a suspected knock from journal #2 (common oil starvation issue). So with that in hand, we are moving forward - head will get the port and polish from west coast supplier and block will get a strong sleeve installed. I have also been buying some other go fast parts, I purchased a trans axle with a OS Gilken LSD and this combined with the new Penske Dampers should make for a killer handling combo. I also have some different combo's of final gears and will need to track them with the new setup to see which works best. 2015 will be one big test and tune
throughout the season.

As a result, I may end up doing a lot more HPDE to get track time. I may also jump in and do some NASA HPDE events to get my foot in the door as an instructor for their program.
I also need to make my way back out to Mid Ohio for some practice laps.

Everything is In the planning stages now, but soon enough I will be back in the garage and along with Jake's help we will transform the #59 in a STU class racer !!. Should be another exciting season at the track !.

On a more sobering note, you may or may not remember my student from the 2013 SCDA event at WG, he drove a yellow BMW Z3. He was an older guy, good solid Intermediate who was getting back into tracking after a 10 yr lay off. I had coached him at LRP in May and then at WG in July but never met up with him for the remainder of the year. Over the winter of 2013/2014 he built himself a purpose built race car and was getting ready to put it on track in the spring of 2014.

Sadly he was stricken with Mesothelioma which was caused by inhaling or ingesting asbestos fibers from a summer job he had 35 yrs ago. He spent the reminder of 2014 in and out of the hospitals. He tried everything they suggested but on 12/31 I received his email below and he stated they had run out of options.

His admitted his only regret was that he didn't build his race car a year earlier.........

Bruce Kapraszewski
12/31/14
to

UPDATE: Hello everyone. I had a CAT Scan on Monday and got the bad news yesterday. The tumors growing in my right lung continue to grow at a rapid pace. My previously clear left lung now has several lesions. So, the experimental drugs I'm taking through my clinical research study are not working. In the vernacular of my youth, that's a big bummer man. Given this news my oncologist has removed me from the clinical research study and placed me into hospice care. I was further informed that I probably have less than six months left to live. Well, in this life anyway. I happen to be a devote Christian so my life will be continuing in a most fabulous way after this worldly life. Praise the Lord for that. Unfortunately that does not ease the immense sense of loss I'm feeling knowing that I'll be leaving behind the companionship and love of Martha (wife), friends and family. Martha and others will be joining me at some time in the future. Anywho, I'm told six months but at the rate of my deterioration I'm quite certain that it'll be far less time than that. I thank God for the extra time to get my final affairs in order. I'd like to take the time to praise my wife on her tireless support of me during this time. As soon as I was diagnosed she went on a leave of absence from her work to provide me with 24/7 support. Well above and beyond the call of duty. She wouldn't agree with that assessment I'm sure but heroes are like that. I'd also like to thank those friends and family who have taken the time out of there busy schedules to visit with me. Those visits were real morale boosters. I ask at this time that you search my wife on facebook, Martha Kapraszewski, and friend her for further updates and info about me. Thank you all for you support, best wishes and prayers. I hope to be meeting you all again someday. My best wishes and prayers will be with you. Praise the Lord.

Bruce
Old 01-17-2015, 07:44 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Greg - I remember Bruce, your student from 2013 at Watkins Glen. Too bad about his diagnosis. I guess we all have to be thankful that we are healthy enough to pursue this activity and I wish all of my fellow S2000 mates good health so they may continue to enjoy the car for a long time to come, in whatever way they choose.

Apologies for startling you. Panera is my go-to place for Soup, and I was there with a friend when I saw you leave bag in hand. I called out and you did not hear me, so I pursued you out into the parking lot. It is good to see you doing better and recovering well. NASA does a big event at Mid-Ohio. I think its a 3 day event so might be something you want to check in to. Plans for the build sound awesome and I'm sure Jake will have it prepped in no time ahead of the season. Maybe you guys can bring it to an autocross to shake it down after the build is complete.
Old 01-17-2015, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by A 2
Greg - I remember Bruce, your student from 2013 at Watkins Glen. Too bad about his diagnosis. I guess we all have to be thankful that we are healthy enough to pursue this activity and I wish all of my fellow S2000 mates good health so they may continue to enjoy the car for a long time to come, in whatever way they choose.

Apologies for startling you. Panera is my go-to place for Soup, and I was there with a friend when I saw you leave bag in hand. I called out and you did not hear me, so I pursued you out into the parking lot. It is good to see you doing better and recovering well. NASA does a big event at Mid-Ohio. I think its a 3 day event so might be something you want to check in to. Plans for the build sound awesome and I'm sure Jake will have it prepped in no time ahead of the season. Maybe you guys can bring it to an autocross to shake it down after the build is complete.

Aashish - no worries, I wasn't startled but more surprised that someone recognized me without my helmet on !.

As far as testing the car at an Auto-x event, it won't be set up for that style of competition, the benefit of speed and balance just won't be present on a small Auto-x course. It will need a LRP or Thompson's and eventually WG. I think I will need to get my WG practice early on because the paving schedule is going to impact just about every club trying to schedule time on the track.
Old 01-17-2015, 08:43 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Greg
Nice to see a progress report. glad you went with the osg diff rather than the other one. Standing in airport getting ready to fly back to beantown wondering if I am crazy. Be in touch more when I am homo
Old 01-17-2015, 08:44 AM

Greg
Nice to see a progress report. glad you went with the osg diff rather than the other one. Standing in airport getting ready to fly back to beantown wondering if I am crazy. Be in touch more when I am home
Old 02-01-2015, 08:21 AM

I have been busy picking up some parts for the #59 in preparation of the 2015 racing season.

[attachment=73298:berk_wrap1.jpg]
[attachment=73310:rad1.jpg]
[attachment=73309:intake1.jpg]
[attachment=73308:belts.jpg]
[attachment=73307arts1.jpg]
[attachment=73306:dss1.jpg]
[attachment=73305:dss2.jpg]
[attachment=73302:dss3.jpg]
[attachment=73304arts2.jpg]
[attachment=73303:washer1.jpg]
[attachment=73299arts4.jpg]
[attachment=73301:camber1.jpg]

And for my Solo efforts.....

[attachment=73311:s2000_hitch1.jpg]
Attached Thumbnails #59 Race Blog-berk_wrap1.jpg   #59 Race Blog-parts4.jpg   #59 Race Blog-parts3.jpg   #59 Race Blog-camber1.jpg   #59 Race Blog-dss3.jpg  

#59 Race Blog-washer1.jpg   #59 Race Blog-parts2.jpg   #59 Race Blog-dss2.jpg   #59 Race Blog-dss1.jpg   #59 Race Blog-parts1.jpg  

#59 Race Blog-belts.jpg   #59 Race Blog-intake1.jpg   #59 Race Blog-rad1.jpg   #59 Race Blog-s2000_hitch1.jpg  
Old 02-02-2015, 03:53 AM

Do those bushings, the Izze kit and the hitch mean Lisa has lost the road car?!
Old 02-03-2015, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by pgss2k
Do those bushings, the Izze kit and the hitch mean Lisa has lost the road car?!
It very well become the NEW Solo ride for 2015....time will tell once I finalize my track season for this up coming year.

Quick Reply: #59 Race Blog