New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Jake's Track Car Build

Old 10-27-2016, 04:36 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by A 2
Jake - you can also make it a rental car and probably make up to $800 or so for each event you rent for.

That way, the car will earn you some money that you can use for its upkeep and also possibly pay for your track time.
Don't be fooled - Track car rental is a full time job and a huge hassle, especially if you don't have dedicated staff to work on car, transport car, maintain the car at the track and then make sure its ready for the next customer. It becomes even worse if you are trying to track the car during the same event.

Ian used to own the Miata rentals you see at the track (currently owned by Mark Gregory) and he was always frustrated with the hassle of getting the cars to track. You also need a spare car in case the rental breaks or fails to finish the day. You need multiple sets of tires and misc spare parts. And then there is the insurance issues that I won't even get into.

Lastly I will say - I know how to treat my car and nurse it thru a track day and make it last an entire race. When you have multiple drivers beating on a car it really takes it toll, why do you think only 1/2 of the cars that race an Enduro are able to finish. When ever I have rented a car and put it on track I have beat the car to death, just abused every inch of it (even let Lisa drive one of them). I have been lucky in that I have never crashed a rental, but that is also another concern.

Just my 2 cents on track rental cars.
Old 10-27-2016, 04:54 AM
Community Organizer

Received 125 Likes on 85 Posts

Couldn't agree more Greg
Old 10-27-2016, 04:56 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Only offered as a suggestion given that he said that he isn't sure how long he will have that car. I know he will put quality effort into it. So I suggested track car rental as an option so it'd make him money enough.

If he sells it someday maybe I'll buy it from him :P
Old 10-27-2016, 05:00 AM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

I don't see myself racing however, too much money and too much time.
I never saw myself racing either. It's you guys on these boards who led me down that slippery slope. I'm just trying to return the favor.

You can race for the fun of racing, not the fun of winning and it won't be that much more time and money than using the car at track days. Try to do a build where you can attach a Billman type tire trailer to the car as opposed to one where you need to buy a whole rig to tow it to the track.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:07 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Jeff - he already has a tow vehicle and a trailer too I think. He has the perfect setup to have a track car. all the tools, spares, lift etc.
Old 10-27-2016, 06:38 AM
Community Organizer

^exactly. I like the idea of trailering a track car. I've got a new tundra and use of a trailer, if something breaks I'm not relying on the s2k for my ride home.
Old 10-27-2016, 06:38 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by A 2
Only offered as a suggestion given that he said that he isn't sure how long he will have that car. I know he will put quality effort into it. So I suggested track car rental as an option so it'd make him money enough.

If he sells it someday maybe I'll buy it from him :P
Exactly ....quality built, one owner(ok 2 owners) S2000 and you grab it for your own track car !
I wasn't try to bash ya, just making it clear that the rental is a tough game.
Guys do rent their race cars on race day when drivers need points for a race series, I have seen that quite often.
Old 10-27-2016, 07:10 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As much as I love my S and driving it if I were to go racing I would find another platform for that outlet.
The S seems to always be hopelessly outclassed in most classes it gets stuck in to. Some rare guys do well regionally and in TT in fact we all know one!
Having watched Greg I think he would have been even more successful in some other platform due to his skills, willingness to travel, play the points game and his drive. I think he'd probably agree, but looking back only helps you going forward!
It's hard to describe how happy and proud I was when he crossed the line at Daytona in 5th place last year. He was definitely a "low budget" team, and yet I know it was far from inexpensive for him to get there.
If you wanted to go racing for "fun" I see Jeff's (Blue osprey)route as ideal. But even that has its ups and downs as his multiple threads have showed us all. Still the pressure seems reduced to the atmosphere of the SCCA/NASA/BMW club paddocks I have been to.
Until the power ball numbers come up in my favor I will probably be a bench racer at best or if I am lucky I could someday have a "vintage S2000" ready to go!

As for a "track car" the S is fantastic, especially for a guy like Jake who can maintain it properly. There are known failure points, successful proven upgrades, and tons of information to be had about the car. It is a great "drivers car" and gives tons of satisfaction when driven well. It is super reliable (W/O big power mods) and it still looks great!
The following users liked this post:
s200059 (10-28-2016)
Old 11-07-2016, 09:00 AM
Community Organizer

Bought myself a donor car

Name:  D83708EC-015C-4E5B-A9CC-A68EFA9CC181_zpsacv0194h.png
Views: 8608
Size:  1.07 MB

Name:  E57F60C4-27DA-44EE-A3CD-77CCECD5678C_zpsxs5cuome.png
Views: 8677
Size:  1.18 MB
Old 11-07-2016, 09:30 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Nice color

glad you won the auction and got the car this time

if the fenders and fender liners are in good shape and you have no use for them, PM me with a price on them once you get the car. Maybe time to go with wider fenders for me.

Quick Reply: Jake's Track Car Build