New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

July 18 & 19 - S2000's at Watkins Glen with SCDA

Old 07-27-2016, 08:37 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mswitz88
As someone who designs split case pumps for a living, Canton must not have a very good handle on the process if this is happening regularly and the sad part is the fix is quite simple. When we have to weld on a casing with a parting flange (similar to how the oil pan needs to seal against the block), we leave extra stock on the parting line pre-weld, do the welding, then do a post weld heat treat to let everything relax to where it wants to be and THEN machine the parting line. Hopefully Canton can work through their issues though. This is exactly why I haven't bought a baffled pan yet.
If you are looking to get a baffled oil pan, you could go the route I did and get a Blacktrax pan. They use a new OEM Honda pan and weld the baffles in. You don't send them a core back or anything of the sort. Haven't had a drop leak out in 3 years, and haven't blown this engine from starvation. So far I'm very happy with it.

Originally Posted by chefs2000
There's 2 more days end of August with Nasa at the Glen .. Any one thinking bout goin ? I'm and in most likely with smokeygatto if he can make ithttp://www.motorsportreg.com/events/...6#.V5ixZfT3anM
Chef, I saw that and I'm 90% sure I will be going to that event as well.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:21 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Alas, I won't be making it to the NASA Nationals event.

But I plan to attend the NASA NE event at Lime Rock on Sep 9th. You guys should plan to attend that too.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:22 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by shiv
Originally Posted by mswitz88' timestamp='1469623801' post='24026012
As someone who designs split case pumps for a living, Canton must not have a very good handle on the process if this is happening regularly and the sad part is the fix is quite simple. When we have to weld on a casing with a parting flange (similar to how the oil pan needs to seal against the block), we leave extra stock on the parting line pre-weld, do the welding, then do a post weld heat treat to let everything relax to where it wants to be and THEN machine the parting line. Hopefully Canton can work through their issues though. This is exactly why I haven't bought a baffled pan yet.
If you are looking to get a baffled oil pan, you could go the route I did and get a Blacktrax pan. They use a new OEM Honda pan and weld the baffles in. You don't send them a core back or anything of the sort. Haven't had a drop leak out in 3 years, and haven't blown this engine from starvation. So far I'm very happy with it.

Originally Posted by chefs2000
There's 2 more days end of August with Nasa at the Glen .. Any one thinking bout goin ? I'm and in most likely with smokeygatto if he can make ithttp://www.motorspor...16#.V5ixZfT3anM
Chef, I saw that and I'm 90% sure I will be going to that event as well.
Canton could solve the entire problem with a few improvements listed above (I suggested milling them to the owner) but since most of their business if to the V8 guys who are used to leaky engines it doubtful they will change anytime soon.

Shiv - when I had the first race engine built my engine builder suggested a weld in Blacktracx baffle. When we took it off to replace the Canton the first time (it had less than 2 seasons on it) we found several cracks in the welds. We rewelded it as a backup and it went back on the car last year for 3/4's of the year. And we once again went back to the Canton for this year and when we took the Blacktrax pan off it was cracked in every weld but two.

So it was ready to fall apart and without removing the pan you would never know it. Don't put blind faith into something that is simple to check during an oil change. Just my 2 cents worth of racing experience.

Sadly no more trackin for me until car is fixed, might be in end of Aug sometime.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That is actually something I was not expecting Greg. I will definitely have to pull the pan off to check its health. I figured since the base is an oem product, it should be fairly reliable.

Any progress thus far on the supercharger issue?
Old 07-27-2016, 05:59 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by shiv
That is actually something I was not expecting Greg. I will definitely have to pull the pan off to check its health. I figured since the base is an oem product, it should be fairly reliable.

Any progress thus far on the supercharger issue?
Nothing new on the supercharger issue.

Its really not all that hard to check. On one of your last oil changes for the year, drop the oil, then drop your pan. Its a good time to clean the sludge out (yes, it will be in there) and check the buildup around your oil pump. Check the welds where the baffle is welded into the OEM pan, if they show any signs of cracking then you need to clean it really really really good, then heat it up with a torch and then clean it some more. its damn near impossible to get that synthetic oil out of cracks to re-weld it.