New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

MG on Track - Season 7

Old 05-08-2016, 06:19 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Sounds like you had a good day. 1:15's are not too far from your fastest times as far as I can remember. Maybe just a matter of new tires with more grip.

I think you ran under or around a 1:10 from the fall festival. It sounds like you feel comfortable with the car and that's a good thing. You'll be picking up speed as you get adjusted with the car.

What about big bend and turn 3? Are you getting down to 3rd for big bend and carrying 3rd through the left hander?
Old 05-08-2016, 10:30 AM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

Aashish, my fastest times are only in the 1:12s. A 1:15 this early in the season is pretty good for me. New tires won't be any stickier. Just tread. I can't afford the Dunlops or Avons and those aren't really sticky, just bias ply so the slip angles are different.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:37 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uovj6fFV9g0
Old 05-09-2016, 06:19 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

^ That was a great video to watch. It was terrific to see you guys battle it out all session. Your nemesis did well to keep you behind him.

I really like how your new engine sounds. I am not sure if its the mic placement or what, but this engine appears to have a nice purr. I enjoyed listening to it.

Also I noticed something. He is a serial late apexer. Notice where he turns in for Turn one, although there are several cars that take that wider line. He also takes the high road on the left hander which is fine as it is a throw away corner, but then he late apexes No-Name, Uphill, West Bend and the Down Hill. I reckon he is running an engine with a bit more grunt than yours. That explains why you were able to repeatedly get so close to him (on account of you sticking to the line) and yet why he stayed ahead of you (on account of more power or a more slippery car).

FWIW all of the above is to be taken with a sizeable grain or two of salt
Old 05-10-2016, 02:55 AM

Aashish, that's pretty much wind sound. Due to the constant threat of rain, I ran the new GoPro in it's standard housing - without the external microphone. The old engine had a deeper, throatier sound.

I'm pretty sure that the #311 has a 4.55 differential compared to my 4.11. I think that makes a bit of a difference. What I think I need for Lime Rock is a 4.3 rear end (and then I have reached the stage where I also need a close ratio transmission!).

Of course, I've always been afraid to run my engine above the redline, which is 5,500 rpm. Hap, the builder of my new engine says that my new engine won't come alive until 5,000 rpm. He says it can run to 7,500 rpm. I had the sense that I could run in third gear from the apex at Turn 1 all the way through the Downhill if I was willing to wind the engine out that much. But for sure I'll need a hearing aid after a few sessions, so I better find myself some ear protection. And then I don't know about Lime Rock's sound restriction.

The good news is that I had no misfires or engine performance issues. I have some oil oozing at the fittings for the oil cooler line and for the oil pressure line, and a malfunctioning EGT gauge, but that's about it. I need to order up some new tires.

Regarding the #311's line, we were both taking the wide line for the Left Hander as we got into that habit during the earlier sessions because of the rain. I agree that he doesn't take the best line through the Uphill, and I am faster than him there. One of the other drivers, the guy with the silver blue Austin Healey, told him that he could take West Bend faster if he got closer to the apex. But he said "I don't want to go faster" implying that he's uncomfortable at greater speed - as am I!
Old 05-10-2016, 05:42 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

That 7500 redline definitely gives you options. You probably won't need a rear end change. If you are comfortable perhaps you should try keeping it in 3rd. I'd be wary of the uphill though.

You have the line down pat. I say stick to the line and try winding out the motor to see how much longer you can go without having to up shift to 4th.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:25 PM

I couldn't do it!

I wanted to change the oil, but I had only logged 111 miles on the new engine - and I had changed the filter at 94 miles. I have a few more days to prep, and maybe I'll change my mind, but it seems like a waste of perfectly good oil ... I think I'll run the first day as is and then change the filter again.

I did some trouble shooting on the dual EGT gauge. What a confusing system! The wires plug in at the top and bottom. The left needle records on the right gauge and the right needle records on the left gauge. One side wasn't working, and I apparently had some of the thermocoupler connections reversed. I think it might be working now - but what I thought was the gauge for the front carburetor is the now the gauge for the rear carburetor and visa versa.

I tried to tune up the front alignment. I think I had a little bit of toe out that I tried to correct. Should be very close to zero toe now. I'll race one more weekend on my old tires. New tires have arrived.

I rigged up a rear facing mount for the second Go Pro camera that I acquired. It has a remote control, the operation of which I will need to figure out.

I wanted to set the timing again and adjust the carbs to run leaner. Got a little too late to run the car at high rpms, so both tasks have to wait. I'll try to get to them on Thursday.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:08 AM

As far as I am concerned, I'm ready.

I checked the timing. I'm running at 27.5 degrees advanced and can go a bit higher.

I set the carbs to .08", so will be running a bit leaner - at least to start off.

I sanded out a couple of burrs on the oil connections at the rear of the engine as I was having some oil weep.

I ran my fuel tank dry earlier this season for reasons forgotten and now my inexpensive Airtex E8016S fuel pump seems to have developed a habit of losing its prime. Easily resolved with some air pressure through the vent pipe, but maybe time to get a spare.

Just need to buy some fuel during lunch today, wash the car and load it up this evening - and I should try to take it up to the track tomorrow evening to set up for Friday.

Six racing MGAs are signed up, plus a TR3 that runs with up.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:56 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Good luck this weekend. I'd like to but won't be able to come.

As things stand I plan to pop in early to Jakes Mod Day and then leave early to go to Boston for an event I can't seem to avoid.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:58 PM

Too excited to sleep, but the birds should be singing soon.

I hauled the car up to Lime Rock after work yesterday. Paddock already half full and coming to life. I just love the scene!

Chris Meyers with the #29 (Collier Cup winner in '58 and '59), Mike Clifford, Jim Juhas with the #311, the TR-3 of Jackie A on the big trailer. Waiting on a few more. It's going to be a competitive and fun run group. Weather should be good enough. I'm hoping to run 2 cameras.

Quick Reply: MG on Track - Season 7