New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Track Days 2017 - Itching to Get on Track

Old 01-11-2017, 06:26 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by CenturionS2K
Hello A2!
m
Here are are some short videos of my track day with NASA at Sebring. HPDE2. The slide/oversteer on video #3 was captured by a fellow s2000 owner. I have more work to do on smoothness of heel/toe, lines, etc. The first day was rain, rain, rain, so the below was for the 2nd day. I will post more soon. Any feedback from anyone here is welcomed.
nice save Helio and smooth driving too. In the first video, I was a bit surprised they let you guys continue the session even after the Fit went into the wall. But I guess every region is different.

Keep up the good work
Old 01-12-2017, 01:41 AM

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks you A! They eventually pulled us in a little bit after. I talked to some of the instructors about it--they said they don't always stop the sessions. It may depend where on the track the incident occurred. Driving in the rain at Sebring: with the multiple levels of grip and surface types, one has to be very cautious and ready for loss of grip at any moment. Lots of learning came from the rain sessions. I tried to stay away from painted areas. Even down-shifting before a turn (if one was not smooth), caused the car to unsettle in the rain. Looking forward, I now have to think about where my next track day will be (as well as budget for it--an expensive hobby, especially adding the track insurance. I was looking at Chin, but they seem very expensive (maybe after I get more experience I will look into them as they seem to value experienced drivers). I will see what other events NASA will offer at Road ATL, and Barber. NASA ran a good program at Sebring. The turnaround was amazing. We had over close to 15 s2000s there. They have not run an winter track event at Sebring in years.

Last edited by CenturionS2K; 01-12-2017 at 01:44 AM.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:41 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Chin is expensive but worth the money. I stopped buying track insurance at some point have resigned myself to the fact if the car was wrecked then it's all on me. Also another reason I got the BRZ.

Chin gives you plenty of track time and then at the end of the day they send out all groups on track together. This is a great learning experience IMO. But as you said, you may want to think about them after you've been with NASA a few times.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:20 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by pgss2k
Signed up for Feb 18/19 with CHIN at Sebring.
Time to mount the Stoptechs, change the fluids, check the whole car over and try to re learn the GOPRO!
Do a good job fella....there is a good chance I will be riding shotgun with ya.....with any luck, maybe even instructing.

Update...Paul I bought my plane tickets today , looks like Lisa and I will be at your house on Friday 2/17. So get busy this w/e and get started on those StopTechs for the S2K.

Nothing better than a nice warm track day in the middle of winter...YeeHaa

Looks like Paul and I are working with CHIN on Feb 2/18-19 as Insructors
Attached Thumbnails Track Days 2017 - Itching to Get on Track-chin1.jpg  

Last edited by s200059; 01-13-2017 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:12 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

So Elivan has set up a code for us to use for the July event at Watkins Glen. I'll start a thread at some point, but in the interim, if one of you wants to register, feel free to contact me.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:34 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wanted to post another event that went live for registration. Rud Motorsports is having their first event of 2017 at Palmer on April 27. (rud Motorsports Track Days | Ultimate Driving Events) . I Think Greg posted a link a while back but I wanted to reiterate as I received a personal invite from the guys that run it welcoming the s2k community. I ran with Rud last year and they are a great organization. Tons of track time, and the other participants have excellent track etiquette which is always appreciated. I also got to know the guys that run it (Scott and Frank) through multiple track days, and they are great dudes that are just as crazy as us about going faster and becoming better drivers. I'll be attending myself, and really recommend you considering running with them. They may be a newer organization, but they run it very well and very professionally.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:54 PM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

I sent rüd Motorsports (how do you make those umlauts?) an email through their website asking what was their stock S2000 policy (i.e., no Hard Dog roll bar). Frank Catanzaro sent back this response:

"While we ourselves don't have any specific rules on this topic, we do advise proper protection in the event of a roll over. Some tracks do have strict restrictions when it comes to this so we advise our customers to check with the track and make sure their cars are eligible." The website talks about a broomstick policy, so I guess they leave it to the track to enforce it if they spot a violation. That happened a few times with Loose Nut at Lime Rock for a S2000 driver who insisted on driving top down. Otherwise, I interpret the response as meaning "if you have a pulse, you can run."

Old 01-19-2017, 04:32 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Podcasts from Ross Bentley and Peter Krause. Should make for good prep prior to the season starting:

https://speedsecrets.com/speedsecrets-podcast/
Old 01-20-2017, 07:27 AM

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by A 2
Podcasts from Ross Bentley and Peter Krause. Should make for good prep prior to the season starting:

https://speedsecrets.com/speedsecrets-podcast/
This is great! Good lessons.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:03 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by shiv
Wanted to post another event that went live for registration. Rud Motorsports is having their first event of 2017 at Palmer on April 27. (rud Motorsports Track Days Ultimate Driving Events) . I Think Greg posted a link a while back but I wanted to reiterate as I received a personal invite from the guys that run it welcoming the s2k community. I ran with Rud last year and they are a great organization. Tons of track time, and the other participants have excellent track etiquette which is always appreciated. I also got to know the guys that run it (Scott and Frank) through multiple track days, and they are great dudes that are just as crazy as us about going faster and becoming better drivers. I'll be attending myself, and really recommend you considering running with them. They may be a newer organization, but they run it very well and very professionally.
I will be coaching at the 4/27 RUD event, as SHIV mentioned they give a ton of track time and they limit the number of drivers so there is plenty of room on track.

I received a note from Scott Marlow of RUD motorsports that they have not roll bar restrictions - see Below.

"Greg can you reiterate on the post that we have no restrictions on roll bars, as long as the track sees fit to let you on we are cool with it?"

Last edited by s200059; 01-26-2017 at 12:42 PM.