New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Track Days 2017 - Itching to Get on Track

Old 02-18-2017, 03:53 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Dave - only one day at Watkins Glen? See if you can be there for two days.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chose to do the car control clinic April 24 at Lime Rock

Originally Posted by xdime00
So I took my time off from work and am hitting these events for sure:

April 14: Lime Rock NASA
April 24: Watkins NASA or Lime Rock SCDA
May 19: Lime Rock NASA
July 17: Watkins SCDA
Sep 9: NYST

Possible ones I'm looking at:
May 20-21: Palmer CHIN
June 9: Lime Rock HOD
Sept 2: Palmer CHIN
Sept 4-5:Watkins Glen CHIN

Looking at a cargo van for a tow vehicle, so hopefully I'll be able to bring more than a chair in my trunk.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:00 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Winter Break at Sebring

Paul was out on track with the Ferrari and McLaren race teams
Attached Thumbnails Track Days 2017 - Itching to Get on Track-sebrng1.png   Track Days 2017 - Itching to Get on Track-sebring2.jpg  

Last edited by s200059; 02-20-2017 at 06:03 AM.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:50 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by s200059
Paul was out on track with the Ferrari and McLaren race teams
Hope you guys had fun on day 2 as well. Chin's format is really the best IMO.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:52 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by A 2
Hope you guys had fun on day 2 as well. Chin's format is really the best IMO.
CHIN'S format is great. And there are always fast cars a And drivers. Plus passing anywhere with pointbyes(including corners and braking zones) really makes you step it up.
Not a normal CHIN track day as there were real race teams there trying to collect some data previous to the 12 he but it was awesome being on track with Ferrari Challenge cars. World Challenge Camaros. More GT3 911 and GT4 Caymans than I could d count plus Prototype Challenge full step cars! I now have some idea what it's like driving GTD cars in the Weathertech series
Old 02-20-2017, 01:09 PM

Paul's new nick-name is "Dances with Prototype's" or "Playin with Porsche's" or "Friendly with Ferrari's".

It took a big set of brass ones to hang tough with the race teams, setting his personal best lap time at Sebring.

I myself opted to run Intermediate, which still had me hustling to keep pace. I did better day two and also did some laps in an Exige..

Last edited by s200059; 02-22-2017 at 02:50 AM.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:31 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Seeing all this talk about Chin, here are their events that are close to us (taken from Jeff's post on the first page). We should definitely try to hit up one of their events this season as a group.

CHIN Motorsports
Chin Motorsports HPDE Track Days

Abbreviated Schedule for Upstate: I've posted VIR dates for the benefit of some because that's my favorite track. But I have to drive VIR probably does not allow the stock S2000. From CHIN's website: "VIR has a requirement for fixed 4-point (or better) roll bars, or 3-point hoops behind the seat for roadsters. This is a strict track standard. Street convertibles and cabriolets with OEM roll protection are generally NOT ACCEPTED."

March 4-5: VIR - 2 courses
April 24: - VIR - Open Track Skilled Driver only
May 6-7: New Jersey Motorsports - Thunderbolt
May 15-16: Watkins Glen
May 20-21: Palmer
May 27-28: Memorial Day Weekend - Pittsburg International (old Beaver Run)
June 5-6: VIR
July 1-2: VIR
July 5-6: Watkins Glen: Note: Wednesday, Thursday
August 12-13: Summit Point
September 2: Palmer
September 4-5: Watkins Glen (Is the 4th Labor Day?)

September 23-24: Pittsburg International
October 22-23: VIR
Old 02-21-2017, 04:28 AM

Default Personal Best - Personal worst.

What a w/e at Sebring, I can't thank Paul and Anne for having us down at their home and Paul for letting me get some laps in his track car. I was very rusty at first and I felt like I should not be on track with the INT group. I ran the Saturday happy hour to try and get my bearings on track and and stay outa the way of all the race cars. I was able to get some traffic free laps and felt good so I ran with the Sunday morning INT group. I really wasn't ready for ADV, but Paul was out there every session with them, rippin off some impressive laps with full blown race cars.

So after two days of running hard and fast with the Ferrari's, McClaren's and Prototypes we came to the final happy hour on Sunday and Paul let me run the first 1/2 of the hour session I had improved enough to salvage some respect from the other drivers and I even passed a few guys. After 5 laps it was Paul's turn and I hopped in my student for a few laps. Towards the end of the session there was a caution flag in turn 10 and as we came out of the turn I couldn't believe my eye. My student says "isn't that your buddy" ? Yup it was my buddy alright, up against the wall talking to the flagger. I could not see if he had made contact or if there was damage and on next lap around Paul was gone so I knew the car was drivable.

We ended the session and I jumped out in the pits to talk with Paul. He had just set his personal best lap record at Sebring and he was trying to beat it. He made the classic mistake at the end of the day when we are ALL very tired and he just plain over drove the car and the track. He was pissed at himself and his pride was hurt more than the car. The lesson here fellas, those last laps tend to be the most dangerous when you are tired.

We tore the car down last night to see what needs repair, he needs a fender and a fender bracket to get back on track.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:01 AM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

I enjoyed the weekend reports. Thank's for posting.

Congratulations to Paul on his fast lap times earlier in the event. But I know how depressing it is to crunch a fender. Paul I hope you are OK and that the car lives to see another day.

I found it enlightening that Greg would decide to run intermediate and still feel rusty. I always feel uncomfortable when I get into the S. I don't drive it enough - and the lack of roll bar, a race seat and a harness makes me tentative. That's why I always want to sign up for the low intermediate group and have little desire to drive in advanced. Last year I felt a little better in the S. I adjusted my driving style approaching the corners as a result of my mis-timed shift spin in my last run at Lime Rock in 2015. I felt better about it and was just as fast.

Thanks to Xdime for posting his schedule. Most of those dates can't work for me for a variety of reasons. Did I see that on April 24th you doing the Lime Rock skid pad?
Old 02-21-2017, 05:36 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Thanks for the report Greg. Glad both you and the car are OK Paul.

Did Greg have a premonition of sorts when he left me a voicemail at the end of day 1?

Nonetheless happy you both did well and had plenty of fun.