New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Upstate Chat Thread Vol. XXIII

Old 02-19-2017, 10:00 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by A 2
So tires....here is the new Hankook Ventus RS-4. Who is ordering some?

and this is the RS-3 that is on closeout sale at Tire Rack

To me it looks like they got rid of the rain repelling characteristic that the RS2 and and the RS3 were quite good at. The RS4 in comparison seems to be more suited for dry weather driving and for conditions that aren't torrential. What do you guys think?
Seems like the RS4 has more grooves but they don't appear to have the width or depth of the RS3. So rain performance may indeed be worse. I'll be running Hoosier R7 for TT events, but I'll need non-TT tires, and something that is competent for rain (maybe designated rain tires). I'll definitely be considering these when my current RS3's wear down a touch more.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:22 AM

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by A 2
So tires....here is the new Hankook Ventus RS-4. Who is ordering some?

and this is the RS-3 that is on closeout sale at Tire Rack

To me it looks like they got rid of the rain repelling characteristic that the RS2 and and the RS3 were quite good at. The RS4 in comparison seems to be more suited for dry weather driving and for conditions that aren't torrential. What do you guys think?
I need new tires this year and am probably going to go with the Dunlop Direzza ZII star specs again. Got over 3 years out of them including some track time and they are only about
$20 more per tire than the Hankook.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:12 AM

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by NH_s2k_Guy
I need new tires this year and am probably going to go with the Dunlop Direzza ZII star specs again. Got over 3 years out of them including some track time and they are only about
$20 more per tire than the Hankook.
I'll also chime in on liking the Direzza ZII. The Hankook RS2 and RS3 were great bargains when they initially came out. Word got out though, and they are not the performance bargain they used to be. Pricing is inline with other high performance street tires now.

Also, I'm not dead, just been sick and travelling for three weeks. I do have some fun pictures to share later, but it won't be till the end of the week (maybe this weekend).
Old 02-20-2017, 07:58 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

^^ Sick and traveling!! Well I hope you feel better soon and welcome back.

BTW- just noticed your sig. They've changed it so you can have a longer sig. For proof, check out NH Mark's Billy Fuccillo sized sig.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:03 AM

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by A 2
BTW- just noticed your sig. They've changed it so you can have a longer sig. For proof, check out NH Mark's Billy Fuccillo sized sig.
Old sig is gone. Wouldn't let me save. Not a fan of the new site in general. Keeping this.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:48 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by Crazy_Schizo
Old sig is gone. Wouldn't let me save. Not a fan of the new site in general. Keeping this.
I do like your current sig
Old 02-24-2017, 05:20 AM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

The Fast & The Furious! ............ Hot chicks, cool cats and fast cars!

Have you heard of this? I bet not!

Pull up your chair and enjoy. I'll be gone for a while.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:09 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by shiv
Seems like the RS4 has more grooves but they don't appear to have the width or depth of the RS3. So rain performance may indeed be worse. I'll be running Hoosier R7 for TT events, but I'll need non-TT tires, and something that is competent for rain (maybe designated rain tires). I'll definitely be considering these when my current RS3's wear down a touch more.

I have been in a LOT of different street cars and the tire that shines above all others is the RE71's. If I was going to try and take a street car to the track I would definitely get a set for my car.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...1RXL&tab=Sizes
Old 02-27-2017, 05:21 AM

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Greg I really value your opinion and wouldn't even consider this if it wasn't for your post.

Marc and I have very bad opinion of Bridgestone as we both had unexpected sudden tire failures on the RE-01R's.

Mine was on the highway and I can't recall the exact circumstances of Marc's incident.

I got 3 seasons out of my Dunlop Direzza ZII's, roughly 6k miles on average, with a few track days thrown in there as well.

My Bridgestones didn't last NEARLY as long as that!

Have the RE71's improved greatly over the RE-01R's? They are significantly cheaper than the Dunlops and being strapped
financially with a kid in college, the price reduction is definitely appealing over the Dunlops but if they aren't going to last
as long as the Dunlops then the price difference really doesn't mean much, not to mention the peace of mind I have always
had with the Dunlops.

Have you had any experiences with the ZII's?
Old 02-27-2017, 05:43 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

None of the new extreme performance summer tires will last three seasons.

The RE 71 R is a very soft compound. It will have great stick while it lasts but don't expect long life out of them.

Quick Reply: Upstate Chat Thread Vol. XXIII