NYC Metro Off Topic All Off Topic Threads Go Here

NYC, LI, North Jersey...U guys are getting raped up there

Old 04-22-2015, 05:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Way to dig up this old thread lol. Why so mad at NY? I don't live there anymore but would go back in a heart beat. One more thing to boast about NY over FL. The school system. It's no wonder people here are stuck on stupid. Not all but many. They can't even get proper testing done to tell the truth about the state's ability to teach.

Scary part is my wifey to be and kid are moving down so I have been looking at the better (and I use that term loosely) schools and wow just dealing with them to schedule school visits indicates their lack of professionalism and intelligence. Needless to say there will be plenty of home schooling on top of the education or lack there of FL will be providing. It's sad but I am still considering the long distance relationship to continue to keep my little one in a better learning environment.

Funny but I think the guy who started this thread got banned if I'm not mistaken. He oddly sounds familiar lol I wouldn't want to follow in those footsteps. Some people just never see the error in their ways.... lol
Old 04-22-2015, 01:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We can agree on the school system. HOWEVER, take a look at one pays for property taxes which a large portion goes to school districts in NY. It is not uncommon to be paying $10,000 + just in property taxes vs $1500+ In Florida.

U get what u pay (or don't pay) for.

U might want to look into religious private school. I have my child in it and HIGHLY recommend it. Keeps her away from the animals in public school, plus they do religion daily. Classes are small. There are possible scholarships available to help with costs.

You wanted to move to "where the actions at". In Florida, that means high crime.

You learn quickly as a pArent, that could have potential consequences when raising children.

Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Homestead, West Palm Beach, Hileigh all have a MUCH higher crime rate then NYC and made the "top 100 Most Dangerous Cities" list.

U weren't expecting great PUBLIC schools were you, lol?

http://www.movoto.com/blog/top-ten/d...-small-cities/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4524866.html
Old 04-22-2015, 03:01 PM

Just to be clear. I did not "want" to move. LoL I was just given an offer that was to good to refuse. Of course I did not expect good public schools. The private ones aren't that great either.

Depending where you are some areas are better than others but still don't come close to some public schools in NY. I know some people who went to private and big name FL universities and are lazy and dumb as shit lol. The mindset and work ethic down here is severely flawed and it all starts in the schools and neighborhoods IMHO. So yeah you can enjoy a big house, less taxes but there is nothing even close to the amount of museums, art, cultural centers, police, emergency response units list goes on............. that tax dollars go to in NY.

Granted I have met some great Floridians but the reason why people flock to NY is because it is still a great city that provides so much at all levels except space lol. One can complain all day about it if you can't afford it but what is happening is the people who can, are still living there and the city is getting better and better. Hopefully in time FL gets better too. We might as well complain about cars costing half the price back in the day lol No offense but it's nonsense to complain about such things.

On a good note (not really), one thing the schools and areas provide better than NY are athletic programs but you have to pay for most of it. But even that is still flawed. Take a look at how many criminals and troubled NFL players came out of FL universities. Ahem.. Aaron Hernandez attended what university? Let's not get started on FSU's constant cover ups of Jameis Winston.

All seriousness, I work for a great organization that is none for profit and love being part of the changes that are very slowly happening down in FL. That is why I stay. Let's have this discussion again in a few years when things start to get more expensive in FL because the quality of life has increased (like it continues to happen in NY) lol but I am afraid that it will be more than a few years...
Old 04-23-2015, 02:10 PM

I'll just leave this here for your reading pleasure:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/30/ny...inds.html?_r=0

^50% struggling to get by

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/09/...or-retirement/

^^baby boomers planning to leave

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_861580.html

^^young people planning to leave

Florida also recently passed NY in population, they are now the 3rd most populated state gaining like 500 new people a day or something.

People are also sick of NYs shitty 6 months of weather(snow in April, 40s in June,etc.)

U paint a rosy picture of New York, it's only rosy if u have $$$, or silver spoons in your mouth. (Won't mention screen names)
Old 04-24-2015, 08:31 AM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Da New Yawka

Florida also recently passed NY in population, they are now the 3rd most populated state gaining like 500 new people a day or something.

People are also sick of NYs shitty 6 months of weather(snow in April, 40s in June,etc.)

U paint a rosy picture of New York, it's only rosy if u have $$$, or silver spoons in your mouth. (Won't mention screen names)
all i hear is a bunch of complaints. If your complaining that much than leave. Yeah it's easy to say "oh only people with money can make it blah blah blah". Yet almost everyone i know came from pretty humble beginnings. They struggled and now their successful. Was it hard? sure. but they still made it. NY gives you more opportunities than almost anywhere else.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
all i hear is a bunch of complaints. If your complaining that much than leave. Yeah it's easy to say "oh only people with money can make it blah blah blah". Yet almost everyone i know came from pretty humble beginnings. They struggled and now their successful. Was it hard? sure. but they still made it. NY gives you more opportunities than almost anywhere else.
^ this.

My parents came to NY with very little. My mom was able to retire at 50. Dad who has passed was living good and retired early as well. Hard work and a constant advancement of one's self will always get you ahead way more than complaining. Complaining only demonstrates a lack of ability.

So yeah, living in FL is great but wait and see how FL is having the same thing happen that you very much complain about is happening in NY just at a lesser level. Lol
Old 04-24-2015, 01:05 PM

Most of the people you're talking about made moves pre-2008 before the Great Recession. Think about it for a second.

NYC has gotten dramatically more expensive post-9/11.

2ks2kNYC, what part of Dade County are u in?

As for Florida, I recently bought waterfront property, with boat access from the backyard to the Gulf of Mexico on a Cul-De-Sac in September.

It's going to get expensive down there eventually.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
Originally Posted by Da New Yawka' timestamp='1429827043' post='23589056

Keep hearing you talk about "opportunities".

Let's hear some.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:37 PM

Most of the people you're talking about made moves pre-2008 before the Great Recession. Think about it for a second.

NYC has gotten dramatically more expensive post-9/11.
My dad didn't "make moves" until 2000s. Than went almost bankrupt in 2008, and than made a huge comeback and retired by 2011.

NYC was ALWAYS expensive. It's all relative. People also made a killing post 9/11 and post recession.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:43 PM

Keep hearing you talk about "opportunities".

Let's hear some.
you want me to do your work for you? Is NY going to suck for people who only work at at mcdonalds or walmart? Of course. Life isn't suppose to be great working at those places.

Make your own path. Find something your either your good at or that you love and than take it from there. If you do that you won't complain. I started my own company and made a decent amount. That business wouldn't have worked anywhere else except NY & LA. I literally went store to store in NYC when I started. Than i owned other business like gas stations; etc. Those things only happened bc i worked my ass off in NY.

Even now even though I have a comfortable life I changed my career path b.c I thought it was better for the long term. I work 60-80+ now between networking & the office. In an industry that really has been DOMINATED by NY (CRE). So please save the bullshit complaints. If you work hard you can make in NY, and make it VERY comfortably. Most of my friends are just as motivated as me and have made great lives for themselves even though they came from nothing.

Quick Reply: NYC, LI, North Jersey...U guys are getting raped up there