GT5 Championship - Season 2 (revised & Renewed) - S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

GT5 Championship - Season 2 (revised & Renewed)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2012, 03:22 AM   #1

Default GT5 Championship - Season 2 (revised & Renewed)

The new Championship is here!

no registration is required, simply turn up and race. you can come and go as you wish, but you have to be in it to win it!

Race Details: https://docs.google....WXBzaFdOSG8yUUE

Car setup will be as per last season;
  • grip reduction: real
  • slipstream: strong
  • tyre/fuel depletion: on
  • Damage: Full
  • boost: Low
  • Penalty: Weak
  • Tyres: Sports Soft
  • Skid recovery: off
  • driving lines off
  • Active Steering: off
  • ASM: off
Handicap:
the combined overall 1st and 2nd player of last the race will have a tyre restriction of 1 lower compound (ie: sports soft race, handicaped racers will have sports med). the exceptions to this will be no handicap on those with weather settings, and the gravel, and kart events.

exceptions to the above will be RM cars (600pp+ will have TCS available, Tyres as per race details), and tracks without pit (Tokyo Bay Kart) will have tyre/fuel depletion off, Damage will be turned off on longer circuits ('ring and Sarthe)
Races with time change options will be set to 12:00, time acceleration set to 1.

Scoring will be F1 style (1st to 10th):
25, 18, 15, 12, 10, 8, 6, 4, 2, 1

race times are fixed at 8pm GMT, varying between Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and will be around 1 hour long.
I aim to have the Lobby up 30mins prior to each race to allow people to connect.

In the event of PSN outages, races will be rescheduled.
In the event of all racers losing connection mid-race, the race will restart as a 1 lap rolling start (5 minute max wait time). restarts on longer circuits will have a no-overtaking rule until after the exit apex of the first corner.

calendars for those wishing to be alerted of events via other means (links can found in my sig):
veehexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:32 AM   #2

here is a nutty idea; depending on numbers, true Le mans race

a special race ; 1.5h long, with 3 classes (or 2, depending on turnout).
each class will get their own points; so 1st in LMP gets 25points. 1st in GT1 also gets 25points.
you choose which class you run in to get the best points.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:30 AM   #3

All sounds good ...

Do any of your suggestions involve cars from the arcade garage and/or no tuning? The Spa Zonda R race (which you missed) did not allow any tuning so we all had identical kit. There were only three of us that night so we didn't test the format as well as we could but I think it makes for closer/fairer racing.
Shiskine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:01 AM   #4

all but 2-3 cars are arcade in that list.
clio v6, F1 and the go kart are the ones that people will need to own (presuming this is acceptable).
i thought that the Ferrari F1 is an arcade car, so not sure why it's not in the arcade list i'm using (found it online)

once i get a few more responses, I'll draw it up in a proper spreadsheet to make it alot nicer and official
Old 01-15-2012, 03:08 PM   #5

I think you are being too ambitious with the faster cars IMHO.

The Citroen GT around Deep Forest will be a crash fest, as will the F1 around Spa (And the Ferrari F1 has a rather large bug when using a wheel - you turn hard and it presses the throttle!). Monza in an F40.... i'll need to do a bit of a test to tell you how I think others will find it.

I also think that we should drop the defacto down from 525pp to 485pp. Again, this will make the racing closer and prevent newbies from crashing so much.

I definitely think there should be a Caterham race too

As for frequency, perhaps every week is a bit much. If you think every other week is too less, how about race, race, break, race, race, break, race etc?
Ultra_Nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus View Post
I think you are being too ambitious with the faster cars IMHO.

The Citroen GT around Deep Forest will be a crash fest, as will the F1 around Spa (And the Ferrari F1 has a rather large bug when using a wheel - you turn hard and it presses the throttle!). Monza in an F40.... i'll need to do a bit of a test to tell you how I think others will find it.

I also think that we should drop the defacto down from 525pp to 485pp. Again, this will make the racing closer and prevent newbies from crashing so much.

I definitely think there should be a Caterham race too

As for frequency, perhaps every week is a bit much. If you think every other week is too less, how about race, race, break, race, race, break, race etc?
car speed - noted. anything feels slow after the 24h sarthe in a detuned X2010 though (dropped engine down to 50%). it is just a list thrown together just to have something to work from.

race times works for me - what about others?
Old 01-17-2012, 01:40 AM   #7

Meant to post this the other night after watching replays of some of last year's races. It's noticeable how much more realistic the replays look when we all drive sensibly.

The thing that struck me most was that incidents were invariably accompanied by unrealistic driving. In other words, driving that you wouldn't see on a real track.

At times, we were all guilty of trying to pass the moment we caught the car in front rather that waiting for a genuine opportunity. Most circuits have sections where there's really no passing, but that didn't seem to stop us ...

The other thing I noticed is that Ron's controls must go to 11 ...

Whether due to his higher corner speeds, better tuning/gearing, or the extra pedal travel (11), he always seemed to have a top speed advantage.

Why then perform so many lunges? A good example was Suzuka where Ron caught me and Vee. He'd been reeling us in at a phenomenal rate so must have known the pass would be a doddle, but this didn't stop him lunging at the final chicane and making contact with Vee. There was another incident at Deep Forest where he attempted a pass at the first corner from way back and nerfed me out the way.

I know Ron denied the lunge at Suzuka but I'm sure if he watched it again, he'd agree it wasn't necessary. I'm not picking on Ron. I just think that with his closing speeds, he had more opportunities to lunge and he better illustrates what I'm on about in terms of not waiting for an easier pass ...

These moves might have been acceptable if it had been the last lap, but in both cases the race was only at the halfway point, so IMHO at least, both moves were unnecessary.

I think we'll have far fewer "incidents" and talking points if we all try to drive as we would in real life on a track, so the message is, "Keep it real".

Thoughts?
Old 01-17-2012, 02:04 AM   #8

I remember that lunge at Suzuka well. It was a complete accident and I had a bit of slipstream that I wasn't expecting. You two braked early because you were racing each other and I had nowhere to go. So my fault (70%) but not intentional.

Deep Forest was another error on my part. It was only the second race I had gone without ABS and it really is difficult when things go a bit wrong.

I think at that point the tyre model had changed for the big update and it was like driving a new car.

The lunge I did do on purpose was indeed on the last lap of Spa. Pure pride one that was, my tyres were soooo feucked it was never going to happen. Fun though!

I hate being lunged on myself - The second race in Monza. After I overtook him on the grass, Chilled was never going to make the corner so used me as an aid. I got turfed onto the gravel which cost me time and then got a 10 second shortcut penalty. I learned a lot that race, because if i'd have stayed calm, I'd have made the 15 second gap up. I lost it though and made the time, lost it, made the time, lost it again...

I also hope it was noted that if I did touch someone, i'd let them past.

If you have a look at a lot of my other overtakes, I think you'll find them quite well manufactured.
Ultra_Nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus View Post
I also hope it was noted that if I did touch someone, i'd let them past.

If you have a look at a lot of my other overtakes, I think you'll find them quite well manufactured.
Absolutely. As I said, I wasn't having a go at you in particular; it's just that it always seems to be you doing the catching up. Another "unrealistic" moment that springs to mind was the start finish straight at Laguna Seca. We were three abreast over the line with the guy on the outside taking to the dirt to make his pass. Pretty suicidal and wouldn't be seen in real life.

I'd like to see a fewer slower races, by which I mean things like Polo Cup races, for example. There's arguably a bit more finesse and guile needed to pass when the speed differnces aren't that great ...
Old 01-17-2012, 04:18 AM   #10

either of you noticed it's just us 3 in this thread?
i cant help but think it's going to be another quiet season!

polo cup was one i was thinking about - theres an A-spec race with the polo cup on Nurburgring which was good.