Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

***Official: What cha drankin on***

Old 01-30-2016, 07:02 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Well after going through most of the premium bourbons offered by our state's monopoly ABC stores, I trailed off my bourbon kick and have been drinking a lot of different beers.

That said, when the wife and I went to Mexico for our anniversary I was offered the absolute BEST tequila I've ever had. I always hated tequila and refused to drink it in anything other than a margarita. Even Patron made me gag.

Then I had Herradura Reposado. Absolutely fantastic...even straight, and was actually able to find it in our ABC store. If you haven't tried it, even if you don't like tequila (like me), you've got to give it a shot. It totally changed my mind on tequila.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:05 AM

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,418 Posts

Originally Posted by RedCelica
Then I had Herradura Reposado. Absolutely fantastic...even straight, and was actually able to find it in our ABC store. If you haven't tried it, even if you don't like tequila (like me), you've got to give it a shot. It totally changed my mind on tequila.
I was in the same boat for years, then I went to a legit high-falootin' Mexican restaurant and ordered a "sipping Mezcal," and had the same epiphany. If you like Herradura, try to go find Corzo, El Tesoro, Fortaleza, Siete Leguas. . . there's tons of good producers of Tequila and Mezcal out there. If you want a real treat, try a Del Maguey if you happen to see it.

That said, I cook with the Trader Joe's cheap blanco. . . and you can eek out a decent Margarita with it.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand that Glendronach has a cask-strength single malt, but I either have to drive to Los Angeles to get it (yuck!) or order it online.

I'll get some and review it here.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:25 PM

Haven't posted in years but I see the Magician is still around.

If you like Scotch, highly recommend Costco Kirkland brand Scotch.
Old 03-24-2016, 06:08 AM

Mingster!

¿Que pasa?

Long time, no hear! How're Grace and the little one(s)?

I'll give the Kirkland a try.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by mingster
Haven't posted in years but I see the Magician is still around.

If you like Scotch, highly recommend Costco Kirkland brand Scotch.
Mingster! Hope everything is going well!

And yeah, Magician, I got to try the Kirkland 24 year, and it is quite good esp. for the money.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:57 AM

Havent had a drink since New Years...the resolution is up in 1 week from today. Really looking forward to getting my beer gut back.
Old 03-29-2016, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by magician
Mingster!

¿Que pasa?

Long time, no hear! How're Grace and the little one(s)?

I'll give the Kirkland a try.
Still love the Pseudo Ferrari plate you got!

Little ones are getting big: 12 & 9, both brown belts in Taekwondo.

I've, um, upgraded (?) to Kelly from Grace...long story, maybe over a few Scotch when I'm back in Cali one of these days...

So I'm not a fan of peaty/smoky Scotch, and Kirkland has some 18, 20, 21 and 30 yo Scotch that's got a very sweet nose and IMO very silky palate, the finish is light but memorable and makes you want to take another whiff and sip. Definitely something every Scotch drinker should have on the shelf. I've probably bought close to a dozen bottles by now because they get sold out pretty quickly.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:06 PM

Bought a bottle of this the other night

https://blog.thewhiskyexchange.com/2...opper-fox-rye/

Strong nose, excellent palette, but the finish is of cheap low grade whiskey. For a rye it's not very smooth as it should be. For $48 a bottle it was definitely not worth it. I think I need to just stick with Woodford at this point.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by RedCelica
Bought a bottle of this the other night

https://blog.thewhiskyexchange.com/2...opper-fox-rye/

Strong nose, excellent palette, but the finish is of cheap low grade whiskey. For a rye it's not very smooth as it should be. For $48 a bottle it was definitely not worth it. I think I need to just stick with Woodford at this point.
If you're gonna rye only, and up at that price range, the High West Rendezvous Rye will get a thing done. That said, a bit of orange peel and some estery feel in the mouth. Willett also has a 3-year Rye in that price range, but I haven't had it (would trust it, though).

Quick Reply: ***Official: What cha drankin on***