Ohio S2000 Club Ohio S2000 Owners Club

Helmet Shop

Old 06-10-2016, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmet Shop

Hey
Does anyone in or around the Columbus area know a place that sells Automotive helmets ? Somewhere where one can go and try out a few helmets before buying.

Any info would be helpful.

Thank you.
Old 06-11-2016, 04:04 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

If you find a store that auto racing helmets in Ohio be sure to let us know.

I needed an auto racing helmet for a planned Mid Ohio driving course and ended up buying one on line. They come in S, M, L, and XL sizes, not hat sizes so on-line is low risk that it won't fit. I think the only difference between them and motorcycle helmets is flame retardant and the same styles are available in both forms so you might consider trying on motorcycle helmets and then ordering the same helmet certified for auto racing. Check if your uses requires an auto racing helmet vs. "just a motorcycle" helmet.

I haven't had a helmet for years and the new ones are the size of pumpkins! I noted these have 10-year expiration dates and those with only 5 years left were sold at close out prices. Since I only plan to take the one course I bought one on sale. Now I need to take the course in the next 4 years. I know the course can provide helmets but wearing one used by a dozen guys creeps me out.

-- Chuck
Old 06-11-2016, 04:49 AM
JHo

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Check with whatever group you are running with. For HPDE where full fire suits aren't required they may allow just a motorcycle helmet in good condition. If so that's much easier. Iron Pony has a great selection.

You really should try before you buy. Each manufacturer has a different shape. Some are round. Some are oval. Even model to model can be different.

I wound up heading up to Track First in Hudson (Cleveland/Akron area). Tim has really good selection and can help walk you through some different brands to find the right size helmet that fits the best.

Because it's a far more niche segment not every city has a good store front outlet for auto racing protective equipment.

Also you should be looking at a SNELL SA 2010 rating at a minimum. That will be good through 2020. Better yet is the newer SNELL SA 2015 which is good though 2025. However not all helmet manufacturers have released their 2015 rates helmets yet.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:12 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I recommend Track First as well. Go there and try them on in person. I believe when I checked they had a decent amount of SA2015's. Good luck.

When you going to be at Mid-Ohio?
Old 06-11-2016, 07:17 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
If you find a store that auto racing helmets in Ohio be sure to let us know.

I needed an auto racing helmet for a planned Mid Ohio driving course and ended up buying one on line. They come in S, M, L, and XL sizes, not hat sizes so on-line is low risk that it won't fit. I think the only difference between them and motorcycle helmets is flame retardant and the same styles are available in both forms so you might consider trying on motorcycle helmets
-- Chuck
Like John says, Track First in Hudson. Good people, and they will walk you thru proper sizing, and have a lot in stock that you can try on. Helmet fit (including eye relief if you wear glasses) is very very important. They have a range of helmets/prices, and carry a full array of safety gear, along with some go fast stuff. Disclaimer, they are a sponsor on my 2 race cars.

Stock of "2015" helmets is very hit or miss, therefore most organizations are allowing 2005 helmets to carry thru this year. Doesn't do you much good if you don't already have something, but I mention it so that no one is frustrated if it takes a while to get what you want. Personally, I'd hold out for a 2015 over a sale priced 2010.

There has been speculation about the differences between motorcycle and car helmets. I do believe they are tested to different standards for impact, especially newer helmets. The standards are revised (somethings only slightly) every 5 years. Bottom line, either your run group will allow motorcycle or they won't. Most track organizations won't, but some will.

Once you address motorcycle vs car, and year of certification, the most important things in descending order:
1. Fit
2. Weight
3. Price
4. Style/color

If you ever see John or I at the track, feel free to ask/check out any of our safety stuff. We'll help as much as we can
Old 06-11-2016, 10:02 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

I've been trying to schedule the High Performance Driving course at Mid Ohio for a year. Just no time to get it in last year or this spring. I want to take it in my car with my suspension, tires, and engine. Summer is fading fast with Regimental and college reunions and my daughter's wedding mid-August! And I feel I should wait at least until I fit new tires this summer, no point learning on tires that are coming off the car. I bought a Snell-2010 helmet last fall when there were no Snell-2015 helmets available.

Mine is boring white so I'll need to sticker the snot out of it to increase my driving skills without effort. Or maybe have it hydro-dipped in Army OCP camo.

-- Chuck
Old 06-12-2016, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you guys for your input.

From my basic research and asking people around it looks like Track First is the best store nearby. I guess the 2 hour trip up north is worth it, especially since I would like to keep a hold of my head for a little while longer

I will let you guys know if I come across any other place in Ohio.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:02 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by sourabhrai2k
Thank you guys for your input.

From my basic research and asking people around it looks like Track First is the best store nearby. I guess the 2 hour trip up north is worth it, especially since I would like to keep a hold of my head for a little while longer

I will let you guys know if I come across any other place in Ohio.
Let me know (pm) when you're coming up. Our shop is next door, I'm there frequently
Old 08-01-2016, 01:55 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

What do you need ? SA2015's in house ......Helmets
Old 08-01-2016, 04:11 PM

Received 2,526 Likes on 1,524 Posts

I bought a SA2015 4 months ago with no problem. Why buy a helmet that will be out of date before long? They are out there just keep looking.

Quick Reply: Helmet Shop