Ohio S2000 Club Ohio S2000 Owners Club

Winter Supercharger Install

Old 03-16-2017, 09:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Winter Supercharger Install

Hello everyone!

I finally finished up installing my Novi1000, all the supporting mods and had a chance to put the car on the street. Unfortunately I didn't take as many photos of the install as I wanted to because I don't like to touch my phone with grimey paws. Before I get started, I can't say enough good things about the people at Redline Tuning and all the insight, knowledge and hard work they put into making this a success. They have machined multiple parts for my car (perfectly) in house and made sure they are in 100% working order.

On to the build:
Over the last 3 years of ownership of my S, I had done the breather mods (FIPK, test pipe and single exit exhaust) along with an AEM infinity and FA suspension. The car in my opinion was perfect, quick enough and predictable through any corner yet it could get slideways when I wanted. I was all but set on performance until I picked up a used Comptech Novi1000 supercharger kit locally that was too good of a deal to pass up. So on to forced induction I went. The overall goal is to reach 400whp and I know that won't be possible on 93 pump even with the upgraded 3.5" pulley that came with the kit. This is the stepping stone to that goal.

Knowing the higher than original boost level of the kit and future goal in mind it was a guarantee I was going to need a clutch that would be able to hold the power. We chose an ACT HD PP with the lightened 11lb flywheel. I didn't want to go any lighter as to lose drive-ability since it is only a street car. Removing the transmission was no easy chore, but it was also not nearly as bad as everyone on the forum made it out to be. Although, without a lift I wouldn't even think about tackling a project like that (call me a wimp that's fine lol.) Including removing the bumper, splash guards, header etc. the trans removal only took a handful of hours.

Stoked on getting this out

Factory clutch. Judging by the bluing I'd say more than a few launches, donuts, burnouts. I plead not guilty.....

New set up installed

Don't forget, air tools are your friend.
Once the transmission was reinstalled and the exhaust was all buttoned back up, we upgraded the fuel system.

Since e85 flex fuel is in the foreseeable future we opted for ID1000's a larger injector than necessary for pump gas. The 1000's offer plenty of fuel for 93 or E but maintain a reasonable pulse width for idle and drive-ability as well. To pair up with larger injectors and make sure their thirst stay quenched I picked up a AEM 340 stainless pump and also charged it with the SOS rewire kit to ensure proper voltage is supplied. In all honesty I think pulling out the rear tray and installing this pump from the driver seat with the top up was the worst part of the whole build. Maybe I'm just claustrophobic, maybe it's Maybelline. The fuel system is pretty basic for this setup, next year I will add an AEM fuel rail and FPR along with a inline flex fuel sensor for ease of use.

Now the real fun begins, installing the supercharger. I was handed 3 boxes of relatively organized parts but none of which were labeled. I set them all out and pulled up comptech's installation guide and got to work. First was the heat exchanger and the hoses along with the extra pump to flow the aftercooler. Blah blah blah I'm sure you don't want to hear a step by step as there are many of those on the forum already so I'll skip to some of the complications. I didn't have my factory crank pulley machined to accept the new supercharger pulley. Mike, one of the owners of Redline, is a boss when it comes to operating a bridgeport or a lathe. Thankfully he nailed it perfect! The next problem we encouterned was the factory crossmember near the radiator must be bent or cut to fit the blower with the AN fittings for the oil return line. Not a big deal, but I am anal when it comes to aesthetics and wasn't mentally prepared for this step haha. Needless to say, I chose to slightly bend it for structural reasons. The rest of the install went very smooth except for getting the tensioner adjusted just right. It would not align properly and what do you know? Mike to the rescue once again. A few minutes eyeballing the set up and one measurement later. BAM! A perfectly aligned tensioner and no more squeaky idle thanks to a spacer he made on the lathe.

Installed except for front bumper

After the install, letting the car idle and checking for leaks or any other problems, we finally got it on the rollers. As stated before, my car had already been tuned by Cody and had a very nicely scaled VE map that just needed some adjusting to boost. I was able to stay and watch Cody tune the car and he was also very open to explaining the process and made it feel like he was tuning his own car. Having watched him correct fueling on the VE map I then realized he is a perfectionist and by that I mean he made sure VE was no more than 1% out of wack. My dyno sheet will show that as it's one of the smoothest I've seen.

On the following graph the solid lines are the numbers from the build. The dotted lines are from the factory ecu with all the bolt on parts I stated at the beginning of this thread.

The best numbers I put down for the day were 325 / 210 but we retarded some timing to keep it friendly, yielding 319/206

This has made the car a monster. The linear power band just makes the car pull harder and harder all the way to 8400. I feel as if this was exactly what the S2000 was lacking as for power and in all honesty, I can't imagine it with 400whp. As it sits right now it is a handful, 1st gear is a joke and 2nd will spin and step out if you let it. With that being said, it hasn't lost it's feel of original s2000. Below 4500rpm the torque is still low enough that the car is very predictable and easy to drive. I don't fear for my life giving slight throttle through a corner. If any of you are contemplating the supercharger route, DO IT. It's awesome.

Also I highly recommend Redline Tuning for service. In the past with different vehicles I've been to Slowmotion, Buschur and Switzer all of which made me feel like a customer on a conveyor belt. At Redline the customer service is phenomenal and they make you feel right at home. It was by far the best experience I've had with any automotive shop and I actually left with more knowledge about cars than when I arrived.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:37 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

I think this will be my next big mod. Where are you located, I would love to go for a ride someday!
Old 03-18-2017, 05:15 AM

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Great build and thanks for sharing! Any plans to go for 400whp?
Old 03-19-2017, 05:24 PM

Where is redline tuning located? Thank you
Old 03-19-2017, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by bgoetz
I think this will be my next big mod. Where are you located, I would love to go for a ride someday!
I'm up in Lorain county, you're welcome to check it out whenever. I definitely recommend going with a supercharger over turbo. The install is relatively simple and requires much less modification to make it work. Oh and did i mention the powerband is ridiculous? It just keeps pulling and pulling.

bruthaboost I am taking my time and doing the supporting mods before I dive into a flexfuel set up with more boost. SOS offers a 3.0" pulley that should yield 12 psi on a Novi1k but depending on max blower speed i may have a custom 2.8 made to try and get 14psi out of it. My checklist so far is, billet fuel rail, FPR, flexfuel sensor, smaller pulley, and a strengthened diff.

foertmeyer all of the shop info is located on the dyno sheet i posted including their phone number. That number is actually Cody's direct line and he will be the one to talk to about tuning and mods. What set up do you have on your s2k?

A couple quick clips:

Old 03-20-2017, 01:32 PM

Thanks donuts! I am going with a science of speed stage 2 most likely this summer used to have the science of speed turbo kit which was great but I enjoy the supercharged s2000 more as well thanks for sharing
Old 03-22-2017, 12:35 PM

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz
If you find yourself in Fort Wayne, feel free to look me. I'm vortech sc'd; ap1 18 psi.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

awesome write up! thanks! I'm torn between the Kraftwerks kit or the SOS one. This only increases the itch to get FI.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Eggrolls4lunch
awesome write up! thanks! I'm torn between the Kraftwerks kit or the SOS one. This only increases the itch to get FI.

I was too. The more research I've done I realize that SOS is the way to go. I like the fact that it is an option to overspin the SOS style blower and (from what I've read) it is easier to change the pulley. Also, there is a kickass warranty that comes with the Paxton blowers.
Old 04-01-2017, 09:28 AM

So I decided to go flexfuel sooner than I thought and also got a 3.0" SOS pulley with the proper belt. The goal is to make 400whp on the mustang but we'll see how close we can get on this set up.

Fuel Pressure sensor

3.5 Bar MAP sensor

Flex Fuel sensor

AEM FPR

AEM High Pressure Fuel Rail

Quick Reply: Winter Supercharger Install