Ottawa S2000 Owners Ottawa Canada and area

Secret sauce installed!

Old 04-27-2008, 05:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Secret sauce installed!

It took a total of 27 hours including 3 trying to find a socket (having to drive all the way to princess auto) and breaking 2 extensions and having to run to crappy tire to get more.

Whomever tightned the bolts on my tranny must have used some crazy impact at 2000ft-lb, I freaking broke extensions, finally got some big ones and a huge bar and got them off.

What I changed?

Flywheel (ligher) 8lbs I believe, WOW did it feel a lot lighter than the stock one when I pulled down the stock one it was so heavy I just dropped it. Changed clutch friction plate to a new OEM, I guess I could have went with something else but I think the OEM is good. My clutch turned out to be about 1/2 done, maybe a little more so it wasn't a waste for sure. Changed the release bearing and pilot bearing while I was down there (you don't want to cheap out if you pull this job off TRUST ME).

I NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER want to do this again -- but I'm certain I will but next time will be MUCH easier as I know where all the bolts are and they aren't as tight before -- and I have 1 or 2 I don't need to take out next time.

Car should be lighter due to flywheel and about 3 or 4 bolts and a couple of tiny brackets I didn't put back

But that is rather weak sauce -- the secret sauce? I swapped out the tranny for an AP2.

The butt dyno says the car is MUCH faster -- but hey that's a butt dyno. I certainly does feel like pulls through the first couple of gears hard. I chirped the tires in second I have NEVER been able to do that in my car -- but perhaps that is the faster grabbing clutch at work.

at 120km/h RPMS are at 3750 or so, with AP1 it's at 4000, totally based on my speedo which may be off, but that's a drop of 250 from what it was before.

Secret sauce installed -- I'm sore everywhere and I have a garage of tools to clean up.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Way to Go james, Now you have to take me for a ride to convience me to get one

p.s: I can chrip second , you should be spinning all threw second now

oh and we need pics please.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:33 AM

Pics of what? I was going to take pics but seriously I was greasy from head to toe and it took 2 FULL days without taking pictures, I'd still be removing the tranny otherwise.

They look identical -- I do have pics of the parts though.

AP2 tranny:

Lighter flywheel:

Old 04-28-2008, 07:23 AM

Has the lighter flywheel affected drivability at all? In slow traffic do you find you are down shifting earlier to keep the revs up and the engine happy?

When I replace my original noisy AP1 clutch I was thinking about doing the flywheel at the same time.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:33 AM

Where did you get the AP2 tranny from? Having the slightly taller sixth helps out with the highway stuff, and the slightly shorter 1-4 gear should give some butt dyno worthy punch.

I'm sure the butt dyno isn't lying. 1-4 gears is something like 4% shorter, and with the lighter flywheel will be a noticable effect. 4% more wheel torque would feel like 10+ hp. Add the actual reduced drivetrain loss of the flywheel, it probably feels like a 15 hp. Of course, this is really only advantageous if the gear selection is good for particular situations. Having the shorter 2nd gear will definitely be an advantage at the MCO autocross, which are designed in that sweet spot.

FYI, the weak sauce wasn't the mod, it was secrecy...would want to lose the competitive advantadge
Old 04-28-2008, 07:39 AM

I'm pretty tired from the weekend too. Two days at the Trac Race School at Calabogie was pretty tiring. 400-500 km of track distance takes a lot out of you and tires. But now I have a provisional race license that isn't reconized by any sanctioning body

Open passing, a rolling grid start and instructor cars screwing with you was pretty cool.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:08 AM

Hey no thread jacking!

I got the AP2 tranny from the good ol' US of A. I bought it on S2ki ... like what 2 months ago?

I was cruising around looking for 4.56 gears but I wanted a pumpking, the cheapest I could find was somewhere in the $1500-$1700 range which seemed crazy.

So I come across this post for a tranny from a dude that has sold 3 or 4 before. I believe it came out of a car with less miles than my car, 20,000 or something -- car was crashed.

I paid $900 shipped for it!!! I was happy with the price. Of course flywheel, extra parts etc etc etc and I'm probably up to $1500 or more anyways, but I could always do the diff later maybe 4.44's as I wouldn't need 4.56's with the new gearing.

But the diff would have been MUCH MUCH easier to change.

Oh and I didn't want you to copy me

reece146: regarding the flywheel, surprisingly I didn't find it made that much of a difference -- of course I hadn't driven my car in a week and only once or twice this year. I just got it all done last night so I ripped around the country but didn't do stop and go type stuff. But I did go from stop sign to stop sign expecting the revs to drop like mad when I let off the accelerator but really didn't notice a huge difference.

Maybe I'll have to get someone else to drive my car / swap cars to feel the difference, I know Fongu wanted to try the new flywheel anyways so he can drive my car. Of course the new gears make a difference as well.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:16 AM

[QUOTE]reece146: regarding the flywheel, surprisingly I didn't find it made that much of a difference -- of course I hadn't driven my car in a week and only once or twice this year.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:00 PM

For almost anybody the AP2 transmission is a win-win, especially for $900. It has the improved synchros and unless you're racing on a track that doesn't suit the gearing, all most people will notice is better acceleration.

Eager to try the light flywheel to see the drivablilty.

I would personally go with the light flywheel when I have to do a clutch change. I've been saying it would also be good with the AP2 tranny ever since the AP2 came out. Andrew already did it before James did. At $900 it's a no-brainer.