Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

New to S2ki

Old 03-05-2017, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to S2ki

Hello All,

I am new to S2ki. I had a 07 GPW / Black&Red couple years back, but had to sell it to pay some bills . I have been regretting that decision every since.

Late last year, I decided to get another fun car again. I was looking at couple P-Cars, GT3/GT4, but I wasn't able to find the right car at the right price. Then I came across an unmolested 1 owner '09 with less than 12k miles sitting on the other side of the country about a week ago. I decided to fix the regret I been feeling. After couple days of negotiation, it is now in an enclosed trailer somewhere making its way up here to PNW! When I was talking to a friend of mine on Wednesday about my new purchase and some potential mods, he sent me here to look at his build thread to get some idea on parts and stuff. I figure I should also check out the PNW community here as well. That's what brought me here! But enough about myself, let's talk about cars!

For this car, I will mostly use it for as a weekend fun car. Weekend drives and probably several track days a year. I see that we have threads for track and AutoX, I will check them out later. I am more interested in tracking than AutoX.

This time around, I will do some performance mods. First on the list are suspension and wheels. My primary focus is to make it handle better. Power is not as much of a concern, it wasn't when I had my last S2k.

So far, I am looking at Ohlin RT/DFV and a set of forge wheels with some decent tires. I would like to hear some suggestions on wheels and tires. I like Volks, looking at CE28SL or ZE40. I am not going to roll, cut, or pull the fender to go with the square setup. Just don't want to touch any of the body panels. I will probably stay with 17s as well; weight saving, and slightly wider width to accommodate widest tires I can fit, are the main goals here for me. I will probably lower it by about 1.5". HellaFlush and Slamming it just isn't my thing...

I do want to get intake and exhaust to make it sound a little bit better, but it isn't a priority. I don't think there are much to be gain with those, rather save money for something else. Maybe go with used parts here. Mugen, Fujitsubo, or any other that won't drone or way too loud.

The last thing I want to do is OEM hardtop. Probably hard to come by, but I am patience and it isn't a priority. Let me know if you guys know anyone selling?

That's all for now. I will post pictures when I get the car. Will probably do a proper build thread.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:12 PM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Congrats on your purchase, bring your car to this drive!
Old 03-06-2017, 06:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice, congratulations and welcome!

I like everything you're planning for the car. Looks to be a good find. As far as going square, it's going to be tough to fit a 9" wheel up front without at least bending the tabs up.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:32 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Right on man, sounds like a great find/buy. Welcome to the club.

Id check out the tire/wheel forum on this site to help get some good feedback on your wheel/tire size goals without touching your fenders. Unfortunately without doing at least the basic fender roll and tab relocate, you will have some limitations running the ride height and or tire sizes you may want up front. Which means running a staggered set up might be the avenue you have to take if your looking to run 255's. But anyway, we can hash all that out here or there when you are ready.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:59 PM

I kinda realize that running the square setup is out of the questions if I want to keep my fenders intact. I think I will just stick with stagger setup, going with 17x7.5 & 17x9 with wider and better tires, should be fine with only 1.5" drop.

Going to order the factory aero bits this week, front lip, side strakes, trunk spoiler. BTW, nice to see that dealers around here are still greedy as f*ck. None of those I called came close to the price I got quoted from Majestic Honda online....

Suspension and wheels probably end of April-ish unless there are deals to be had.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:14 PM
Community Organizer

Majestic is the way to go for sure.

Not sure what wheels your looking at, but offset along with width is going to determine your fitment. a 7.5" is ok, but sort of between optimum for a 215 or 225 tire width. Id recommend a 8" front if you plan on going with a 225/45 and then the 255/40 rear on a 9" is good as a standard up size over stock. Its nice to have a little pull on the front sidewall to maintain that sharp turn in which is why 8" is best, especially if maintaining tire profile front to back. But again depends on wheel choice and offset availability in that wheel, especially crucial if you want to maintain stock fenders and drop 1.5".
Old 03-08-2017, 11:58 AM

Most likely ZE40 with the wheels at this point. Unsure about bronze or dark gun metal

Evasive Motorsports | PH: 626.336.3400 Mon-Fri, 9am-6pm PST: ZE40
Old 03-08-2017, 12:35 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by Dawgs2k
Most likely ZE40 with the wheels at this point. Unsure about bronze or dark gun metal

Evasive Motorsports PH: 626.336.3400 Mon-Fri, 9am-6pm PST: ZE40
Nice wheels. So if the goal is to not modify your fenders then the 9 +61 is what you want. and you can either go with the 7.5 +48 or the 8 +48. The wider rim will stick out 6.5mm more then the 7.5, but you know my thoughts on the 7.5 so up to you. There is slightly more risk of rubbing in some situations with the 8", but its totally doable with a good sport camber alignment and as long as your reasonable with your suspension drop, 1.5" should be fine but no more. Either option would look good. But id probably opt for running a 215 up front if you went with the 7.5. So essentially the stock CR 215/255 factory tire stagger. 225 on the 8" option.

If you were down with rolling your fenders and doing the rear bumper tab relocate to have a more aggressive flush fitment, you could do the 9.5 +40 in rear and the 8.5 +45 up front, which would look great. You would do the 225/255 stagger with this. Gives you a nice track width increase for added performance as well. We have a local member here (manga_spawn) that does fender rolls/modifications to accommodate that fitment if you are interest, just fyi.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 03-08-2017 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:01 PM

Thanks @s2000Junky. I am fairly set on ~1.5" drop, probably will go with 8 if I can fit it fine.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:22 PM

LOL @Bouda. I was look at the bronze. My car is new formula red, I think either colors will look nice

Nice CR! Don't see many of them around!

Quick Reply: New to S2ki