Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

Why are Washington tracks 3x more expensive than California?

Old 03-11-2016, 07:37 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Turn2 states that if you spin more than twice, you are asked to not participate for the rest of the day. I believe it might be 3 for SCCA and the rest of the clubs. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:38 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KING3
Last time I went to the ridge saw an s2000 crew. Anybody from here? 5-6 S2000's. Most of em were running hardtops. I remember one white s2000 in particular was running a am-s rep body kit. All of were young 18-23 years old. Anybody around here running a am-s rep wide body kit? would love to see it in person how it looks.

This was last Saturday(3-5-16)
That was Cullen and his group of friends from around here.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Twanny425
Turn2 states that if you spin more than twice, you are asked to not participate for the rest of the day. I believe it might be 3 for SCCA and the rest of the clubs. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.
I believe this is correct. They define a spin as four-off. It's also subjective on what the corner workers see. If you're being dumb they'll give you the boot immediately.
Old 03-11-2016, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spets
Originally Posted by Parth' timestamp='1457682281' post='23905200
[quote name='sse2k' timestamp='1457656456' post='23904969']
[quote name='Parth' timestamp='1457552274' post='23903613']
OMFG! This place is going to make me bankrupt!!!!! I had paid 300$ for an entire first weekend for ProAuto. And here I saw that most events are happening on Friday. Do people not work here or what?!
Let's go out to the ridge together this summer so you can see a real track with elevation change. Then you can join me in rubbing it in to the AZ crew that Firebird/Wild Horse is just a giant go-kart track.
You've got yourself a deal. Please text me when you go out to these events I'd like to accompany. I'm quite worried if they count the number of spins. The whole point of driving on the track is I don't have to worry about and push my car. I have at least 1-2 spins per session in a trackday due to my lack of love for the brakes.
[/quote]

2 spins per session? x 4 sessions per day? So you're spinning out 8 times a day? I wouldn't want to be on the track with you either!

They don't care if you happen to drift a corner a little or step it out, but they don't want to see 180/360 degree spins or going full offroad. That means you're driving past your abilities and you're not being a predictable driver for everyone else on the track with you.
[/quote]

I suppose, a clarification is in order. I certainly will not be pushy with my car when I have others around me. I keep about 50-100m difference with others. I'm not a hooligan! Also, those numbers for the spins are including drift-off and minor unbalances. Now the reason I care it because I see track-days as an opportunity to learn to control oversteer. I am a fairly amateur driver and am still not capable of controlling over-steer. That is why, in a safe environment, I deliberately un-settle my car so I can improve my skills. Again, I have deep respect for every driver around me and safety is my top concern too. I've done a few with Pro-auto and have been red-flagged once, that's it. I've never been asked to leave. I hope I've explained my situation well.
Old 03-11-2016, 02:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[media]https://youtu.be/0cRnfxVv8Io[/media]
Old 03-14-2016, 12:18 AM

I looked up Turn2 lapping and it looks like you need to complete the ridge racing school before being signed off to lap solo at the Turn2 event. So that's $500 for school and then $300 if you want to solo lap. So $800 to actually lap your car around the track. Not saying the school isn't valuable, but seems to prove the point that WA tracks are very expensive
Old 03-14-2016, 06:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you already have track experience somewhere, then there's no need to take the ridge racing school. Like Junky said a few posts up, they usually have an instructor available to get you up to speed on the track layout for the first few sessions.

If you are a complete noob when it comes to track days or autocross though, then yes I'd recommend some kind of school before hopping in with Turn2 as they expect at least some level of familiarity with track days.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by jdjordan
I looked up Turn2 lapping and it looks like you need to complete the ridge racing school before being signed off to lap solo at the Turn2 event. So that's $500 for school and then $300 if you want to solo lap. So $800 to actually lap your car around the track. Not saying the school isn't valuable, but seems to prove the point that WA tracks are very expensive
As Spets said, you don't need to do the ridge racing school. If you go through Hooked on Driving (which I would highly recommend), Its the same price as a normal track day, but you'll have an instructor with you who can sign you off if they see fit. Its also a nice, low stress environment which is perfect for building your confidence on the track. Turn2 drivers are quite advanced so it might scare you a bit at first
Old 03-16-2016, 11:57 AM

I have experience with drift events. I know some of you might not see that as relevant experience or say its not a real motorsport, but I do believe that it builds car control confidence. Drifting is in fact, controlling a car that is out of control. I dont think Turn2 or any road course will take that as "real" track experience, but I can call the track and see. Either way, road racing is different than drifting, so Im not opposed to having an instructor sit with me.

I've seen some of the videos people have posted of PR and Ridge and I do have to say, that most people driving there would not scare me haha. Anyway, thanks for all the guided info guys! much appreciated
Old 03-19-2016, 12:31 PM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

Look into NASA. They didn't run last year and not sure about this year but the cost was about half of turn2. I would strongly recommend having an instructor if it is your first time out at a real track event. I did on my first one and would probably do it again since I still have a lot to learn.

Quick Reply: Why are Washington tracks 3x more expensive than California?