Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

Why are Washington tracks 3x more expensive than California?

Old 03-24-2016, 11:31 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
Look into NASA. They didn't run last year and not sure about this year but the cost was about half of turn2. I would strongly recommend having an instructor if it is your first time out at a real track event. I did on my first one and would probably do it again since I still have a lot to learn.
I checked the NASA site, looks like they aren't supporting the NW Region again
Old 03-24-2016, 11:35 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jdjordan
I have experience with drift events. I know some of you might not see that as relevant experience or say its not a real motorsport, but I do believe that it builds car control confidence. Drifting is in fact, controlling a car that is out of control. I dont think Turn2 or any road course will take that as "real" track experience, but I can call the track and see. Either way, road racing is different than drifting, so Im not opposed to having an instructor sit with me.

I've seen some of the videos people have posted of PR and Ridge and I do have to say, that most people driving there would not scare me haha. Anyway, thanks for all the guided info guys! much appreciated
When you register on motoreg, there is a little box where you write about your experience, it might be worth a shot to see but better to be safe than sorry. As you said, it is best to call the event organizer(s) and see.
Old 03-25-2016, 04:02 PM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by Twanny425
Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn' timestamp='1458419490' post='23913595
Look into NASA. They didn't run last year and not sure about this year but the cost was about half of turn2. I would strongly recommend having an instructor if it is your first time out at a real track event. I did on my first one and would probably do it again since I still have a lot to learn.
I checked the NASA site, looks like they aren't supporting the NW Region again
That sucks. We need some other orgs so there is some competition. I suspect it is also due to the lack of tracks up here and that the few we have don't host many large events that pay most of the bills so they have to charge more for little events like a track day. Also the number of days they can operate is fewer with the weather.
Old 04-09-2016, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It depends on the track, club, day etc. Some California tracks are expensive, some are not. Streets of willow =/= Laguna Seca. But I digress.

Up here there's lots of track days, but there's also lots of racing so tracks book their weekends the year prior for competition events of which there are a lot of which is why track days tend to take place on the week days.

There's LOTS of orgs up here to do days with:
Turn 2, ProFormance, IRDC, Porsche/BMW/Alfa clubs, SCCA Track Night, and more.

There's always something going on with multiple orgs at either track, but not often on the weekends because... racing. If you buy a race car, the actual race entries are under $300 with most of the Conference clubs which is definitely not the case with most race entry fees across the country. It's way cheaper to race in the PacNW.

edit: Wanted to add.. your choices of track day orgs does get limited however due to the open top nature of the S2k. Unfortunate reality of a roadster.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:56 AM

Luckily I have a weld-in roll bar and hard top, so no limits there! I just opened up a 3rd savings account for racing my car. I'll just suck it up and pay up like a gentleman. Luckily Im 26 with no wife/kids so racing my car is still an option!
Old 05-26-2016, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by S2KING3
Originally Posted by spets' timestamp='1457656729' post='23904973
Probably the canadians. The S2ki group doesn't usually get going until summer.

Ahh I see. Well you can count me in if you guys plan on going to the ridge. Its only 30mins away from me.
wonder if they do any group discounts.
Hey I'm in Olympia too. What color is your S?

As far as the expense of track days locally, my experience started two years ago and the only additional fee I paid to get signed off solo was a $100 "tip" i paid to my instructor for a full day of instruction with Turn 2. PCA provides instructors for free. I believe there is some reciprocity with regard to some local clubs sharing "signed off for solo" privileges. For example, on motorsportsreg, if you want to do a track day with ProFormance there is a block for you to provide your experience in order to qualify for the less expensive solo driving.

That all said. I'm planning out my track days for this year, would like to meet up with some locals. I know your on here Sean...i'll see you at the Charity event...maybe others too.

My plan so far is:

June 12th at The Ridge with Turn 2
July 15th at Pacific with PCA
July 24th with a local BMW group at Oregon Raceway Park
August 4th at The Ridge with Turn 2 *Camp Goodtimes Event
9 September at Pacific with the PCA

All subject to change, The Ridge is pretty appealing being a 25 minute drive from my house

These are mostly weekend events, between $250-$300 for the day. Wish I had the time and money to do more, that'll have to wait a few years.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:19 PM

[/quote]

My plan so far is:

June 12th at The Ridge with Turn 2
July 15th at Pacific with PCA
July 24th with a local BMW group at Oregon Raceway Park
August 4th at The Ridge with Turn 2 *Camp Goodtimes Event
9 September at Pacific with the PCA

All subject to change, The Ridge is pretty appealing being a 25 minute drive from my house

These are mostly weekend events, between $250-$300 for the day. Wish I had the time and money to do more, that'll have to wait a few years.
[/quote]

Every date after the June 12 event looks like it would be makable for me. Maybe we should start a track day thread in this forum to coordinate people looking to meet up at the track?
How would I go about driving with PCA and BMW groups? SCCA track nights seem like a decent option if you were in the advanced groups and looking for some quick track time.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:11 PM

PCA link:

http://www.pnwr.org/Track/driver_ed/default.asp

Also, check out https://www.motorsportreg.com if you haven't already.

BMW events are a no-go, they don't allow convertibles without full cage. I believe you need to be a member of one of the local clubs to participate in a PCA event. Join the BMWCCA, their monthly magazine Roundel, and the local puget sound magazines are very good. And it's a non-profit, so the $60 yearly fee is a tax write off. PCA also has autocross days for pretty cheap, though i've not done one. You can't join the Porsche club without owning a Porsche. I'll remedy that with my next car. The Cayman S is the best car i've driven...including Porsche 911, and my own M4.

Last year there was a track thread. I've signed up for the June 12th event. I'd definitely recommend the PCA events. Very well structured, good instructors...the instruction is free, and i'm pretty sure Tom from Turn 2 accepts sign-offs from PCA for running solo with his group.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:44 AM

I contacted our local PCA about entering events without owning a Porsche.

If you are not a current car club member, you can attend the event on a trial basis. Afterwards if you want to continue, you could join a club that is open to all makes of cars, ie - Alfa Club.

Thanks,

Gregory Erickson
Olly Downs
DE Registrars PCA/PNWR

So basically join the Alfa club or BMWCCA. Probably whatever membership is accepted into more events is the one I will go with.