Photography and Videography Tips, techniques and equipment for taking great photographs and videos. Come here for advice and critique on your photos and videos. To show off your S2000 go to The Gallery

Photoshop / Lighroom

Old 07-01-2015, 12:44 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Photoshop / Lighroom

Hi Folks,

looking to learn a bit of Photoshop but am a bit confused as to what version to get as I've seen some version that seem to use some sort of a touchpad and pen and then there seems to be a lot that don't use it at all or is this an extra? Also probably looking to do some Lightroom stuff for some photos.

I've seen the adobe version that seem to combine the 2. Has anybody got that version and would recommend it?
Old 07-01-2015, 03:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you are looking to learn I would suggest getting a free photo editor off the interwebs. gimp is good. also paint.net . Try those out to learn the basics and when you realize they cant do some things you want, then upgrade. You will have a better concept of what you want and what options they offer. I'm no pro, but i took graphic design in school. I have used a lot of Photoshop and the free versions out now-a-days are pretty powerful.

this is a quick edit i did using gimp 2

Old 07-02-2015, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by sinepome
if you are looking to learn I would suggest getting a free photo editor off the interwebs. gimp is good. also paint.net . Try those out to learn the basics and when you realize they cant do some things you want, then upgrade. You will have a better concept of what you want and what options they offer. I'm no pro, but i took graphic design in school. I have used a lot of Photoshop and the free versions out now-a-days are pretty powerful.

this is a quick edit i did using gimp 2

Did have this on my old computer but never used it Kind of sorry now
Old 08-16-2015, 08:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this thread is over a month old but I though I would give my opinion. For one, I don't think adobe offers a photoshop/lightroom hybrid. I have Photoshop CC and Lightroom CC. You should understand that Photoshop is more for photomanipulation and graphic design while Lightroom is mainly color corrections and photoediting that really doesn't involve manipulation. Of course Photoshop also offers just about every tool that Lightroom offers but that doesn't make lightroom unnecessary. I use lightroom for my photography about 90% of the time while the photos that need some kinds of compositing go to lightroom for color correction and then to photoshop for manipulation. It all depends on what you tools you need
Old 08-17-2015, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by Eriasu
I know this thread is over a month old but I though I would give my opinion. For one, I don't think adobe offers a photoshop/lightroom hybrid. I have Photoshop CC and Lightroom CC. You should understand that Photoshop is more for photomanipulation and graphic design while Lightroom is mainly color corrections and photoediting that really doesn't involve manipulation. Of course Photoshop also offers just about every tool that Lightroom offers but that doesn't make lightroom unnecessary. I use lightroom for my photography about 90% of the time while the photos that need some kinds of compositing go to lightroom for color correction and then to photoshop for manipulation. It all depends on what you tools you need
Cheers for the response....

I'm just starting to get into photography and not sure how to edit photos and was going to get a programme and those were the programmes mentioned to me. I would like to learn how to use both but did see that adobe offered both as a package but I wasn't sure what to do.

Is there different versions of Photoshop as I think I've seen some that use some sort of a pen and pad and others that don't but I could be totally wrong on that.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:33 PM

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

I have used Photoshop Essentials for years, upgrading occasionally as the product improves.

In the early years I used a variety of free tools and found some programs did things better than others or loaded faster, but it became confusing remembering which tool did what and the steps involved. At that point I decided to use Elements exclusively and learned to use it by viewing the many tutorials on the web. Now it is my go-to editor of choice.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jonner
Originally Posted by Eriasu' timestamp='1439786360' post='23716486

I'm just starting to get into photography and not sure how to edit photos and was going to get a programme and those were the programmes mentioned to me. I would like to learn how to use both but did see that adobe offered both as a package but I wasn't sure what to do.

Is there different versions of Photoshop as I think I've seen some that use some sort of a pen and pad and others that don't but I could be totally wrong on that.
Yea adobe offers the photography package for $10 a month. That's what I'm using. You can use a pen and tablet (wacom for example) but it is not required. I've been using my keyboard and mouse to edit since the CS4 versions.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by Eriasu
Originally Posted by jonner' timestamp='1439806557' post='23716589
[quote name='Eriasu' timestamp='1439786360' post='23716486']

Yea adobe offers the photography package for $10 a month. That's what I'm using. You can use a pen and tablet (wacom for example) but it is not required. I've been using my keyboard and mouse to edit since the CS4 versions.
[/quote]

Old 08-23-2015, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use Lightroom I think it does wonders for my pics when editing I'm still new to photography as well and I kinda know what I'm doing
Old 08-26-2015, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisG_ap1
I use Lightroom I think it does wonders for my pics when editing I'm still new to photography as well and I kinda know what I'm doing