Photography and Videography Tips, techniques and equipment for taking great photographs and videos. Come here for advice and critique on your photos and videos. To show off your S2000 go to The Gallery

Switching to Medium-Format

Old 09-21-2016, 11:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Switching to Medium-Format

I've argued with my company that we ought to keep our current inventory, but, as advertising gets more detailed and specific. I've been arguing to keep our Nikon system, specifically the D810. Question is, what medium-format to get? Options are:

- Fuji GFX-50S
- Hasselband X1D
- Pentax 645Z

The great thing is, the company might pay up to 50% of the body. So, between the three, which do you think? I really am eyeing that Fuji, its new, its 50mp and so I am waiting to see what reviews say. Unfortunately, I am forced to sell my D810 and equipment what I have left. Two things, what do you guys think of the three choices and if anyone is interested, I have a D810 with 2500 shutter count and Nikon 70-200 VRII left to sell and move on. Let me know, both ways!
Old 09-27-2016, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Hassy is smaller and lighter than the Fuji, but it also gets hotter. Fuji decided to put the battery between the sensor and the LCD screen to help keep the two biggest heat makers apart. I saw a video of the start up time for the Hassy....it was like 9 seconds!! Insane. The Fuji was basically right away. Fuji will give you more lens options, including adapting leaf shutter lenses, so the cost can be less expensive with the Fuji. I'm not sure what advantage the 645 will have over either besides being more DSLR like but I'd go with the Fuji. They'll have 4 or 5 lenses at launch and their glass is pretty reliably good.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:02 PM
Former Moderator

Received 139 Likes on 115 Posts

Agree. The Fuji system has really improved a lot over the last few years and if I was going that route, the Fuji system would be my recommendation as well. My colleague shoots XT-2 and Nikon D5. I shoot D810 and D4s but had more than a few opportunities to shoot with his Fuji (he has several) and the glass selection has made them a very attractive consideration.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am eyeing the fuji system as well. Initial reports of Hassy compared to the Fuji is mirroring what BRICK said about the hassy being slow as ass not just in the start up.