Prairie Redliners Canadian Prairie Provinces. Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba

spring/summer car projects?

Old 03-26-2013, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spring/summer car projects?

This is my attempt at jump starting forum discussion, lol.

As spring rolls around, us cheery Albertans begin to remember what life is like with the warm of the sun, t-shirts, shorts and sandals. And invariably, minds turn to the broad category of 'stuff to do on the car' - unless, of course, you've been wrenching all winter long in a heated garage. I have found that having a child (10 months old this Friday!) means much less time messing about in the garage (or sleeping in, or watching TV, playing video games, or generally being lazy...) So that means having to plan everything out!

My plans, for my various cars:

S2000:
First, finish restoring AP2 headlights I picked up used last fall, then installing them. I also have AP2 ballasts, so that will avoid any weirdness trying to make the AP1 ballasts fit. They had some red overspray on them from some paintjob, plus some gunk on the lenses themselves. I'm about halfway through the first lens. Canadian Tire has a sale on right now for the 3M headlight restoration kid ($23 vs $30 regular) so I'm going to grab another kit to supplement the mostly used one I have left at home. I do hope they turn out nicely, because the JDM AP1 headlights I have on the car right now are basically mint. Don't wanna downgrade...I did find, though, that minor scratches are not visible once clear headlight protective film is applied.

Also have AP2 tail lights to install. Still on the lookout for AP2 bumpers though.

Finally, I need to tidy up the PLX Devices gauge modules. They are currently just ziptied haphazardly under the dash, and could use some tidying up. But I may just start simple and do an oil and filter change with some Motul I bought last year too.

C43:
Need to get the old 4.3L engine out and swap in the 5.5L finally. The non-running issue was traced down to a poorly sealed intake manifold. Once the 55 is in, the car should be quite a different beast. Would also like to delete the secondary cats and reasonator too. Currently planning to do this in a 'staycation' I have booked for May. Should be fun. Then will turn the car back to my parents who will undoubtedly granny drive it...I mean, they are grandparents now after all....

C55:
Quite keen on acquiring a Dynavin head unit. These boast plug and play simplicity (a big deal for OE integrated stereos), plus I can add nav and hopefully a better Bluetooth and iPod interface. Current Dension pieces don't do that so well, and I would like nav as I want to take the car on some road trips.

Here's a link to Dynavin's stuff. They specialize in drop in replacements for the German marques, so in case anyone else also has something German in the garage that could use a nice nav upgrade: http://www.dynavin.com/

Have to also figure out why my one HID foglight isn't working. Hope it's just the bulb and not the ballast.

Would also like to find a used set of OE Mercedes wheels from a late model SL55 - the offsets are more aggressive than what the car currently runs.

A4 Avant:
Shortly after I bought the car last year, I also picked up Koni shocks and Eibach springs. Haven't installed them, and it got too cold when I was driving the car so I wimped out. Also need to figure out why one of the rear doors isn't locking, hopefully just a buggered up lock unit as opposed to wiring. This car is too complicated for its own good. There are no manual locks on the rear doors! Meaning once the electrical mechanism broke, I couldn't lock the door = security risk! There always seem to be guys parting out Audis on kijiji, so I may try to find some parts off a dead car from there, including new fenders as mine are getting rusty.

Should also finish installing the huge rally style driving lights (from a Land Rover LR3) onto the car. I got about 75% done this little project over the winter, with the intention of using them in the winter, but obviously that didn't happen. Pic:

LR3:
Just keep keeping on! Bought new tires for the summer season, just need to get those mounted.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:28 AM

Swap my RPF1's for ce28's that I have bought, put the t1r exhaust on, put a new cf hood on, clear corner side markers, and get a good exterior detail/paint correction done. Have all zee parts, just need to get the car out of storage once it warms up a bit more and I'll be able to start slapping everything on. And repair the 2 wear spots on my roof
Old 03-27-2013, 08:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This year will be a focus on maintenance and complete replacement of all fluids, lubes, greases and even some gaskets.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:06 AM

I am moving the car towards STR prep for this year:
- bigger/stiffer front sway bar (35mm)
- 17x9 wheels
- 255/40R17 Dunlop ZII rubber
- SPC camber adjustable front ball joints

And a new battery too
Old 03-28-2013, 09:12 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Not much on my end. Our house is currently being built so I won't have a garage until we get it (late summer/early fall). I did all the fluids (trans, diff, engine) on my S2000 just before I put it into storage so I might have to do one oil change before fall, but that's about it.

Might get the Hondata ECU reflash while I'm coming through Calgary on my way back from picking up the car in Coaldale (from storage). Supposed to give a bit more mid-range torque, plus lower VTEC engagement point (yeehaw!) and increase the rev limit (8500 rpm vs stock 8200 rpm - double yeehaw!).

Otherwise, my wife's car will get the most attention - new all-seasons are required plus the 160K check will be due in a month or three (serpentine belt, valve adjustments, spark plugs, coolant flush, brake fluid and anything else that shows up). I picked up a second set of wheels for cheap this winter so I'll have two sets of tires on separate sets of rims, which means I can rotate them myself now instead of paying to get them dismounted/remounted twice a year.

Might do some maintenance on the truck - transmission and diff fluid changes, plus touch up a few minor nicks/rust spots from winter driving. Need to wash it first, though - haven't washed it all winter! Gotta love a beater.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:29 AM

What's your wife drive Jon?

I forgot to mention a couple more things on my C55 - I bought stainless brake lines and plugs. I should probably also do the wires and rotors and pads. But AMG stuff is expensive - $300 for the pair of front rotors. There are 16 spark plugs, so the cost on the wires isn't going to be cheap either, I think $300 for OE replacement stuff. I think Magnecores are cheaper, but I haven't had much luck with them to be honest. Might just stick with NGK or Bosch OE quality replacement. I just did the oil change on it last weekend too - 9L of Mobil1 0-40 - regular price on that oil is like $11/L at Canadian Tire! Thank goodness I bought a bunch on Boxing Day when they were on sale.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:17 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

2008 Civic - quite the beast. She's not a car person at all - she wants the most efficient car possible for the least amount of money. She enjoys my S2000 but has no desire to drive something fast/quick.

She does love the Porsche Panamera, though. Maybe some day.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:39 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by coldrsx
This year will be a focus on maintenance and complete replacement of all fluids, lubes, greases and even some gaskets.
Ian, I have a few full build gasket kits lying around that I ordered and then ended up sending my block to Laskey. Give me a shout if you need anything for the block as I will probably have it new in packaging. Although I'll probably use the entire head kit, but a PM never hurts.

As for me, a big tax return this year gave me some playing room. I blew an intake valve last season, so I just decided to do the whole engine at the same time. 175km in heres my current list:

Benson sleeved block
CP Pistons
Pauter Rods
Benson micro polished crank
All new gaskets
OEM TCT
Supertech intake/exhaust valves
supertech titanium retainers
supertech dual springs
supertech bronze valve guides
port n polish
sticking with OEM cams
16 psi pulley
3 bar map sensor
ID 1000's
resurface AP1 flywheel
powder/ceramic coating a few things (header, valve cover, intake mani)
engine bay tuck (if my spare wiring harnesses ever come in)
tune/break in/hopefully have time to get some track time in this year

Big year for me, and I probably wont be on the road til end of may early june I hope.

Will have a few things for sale when the things complete, locals can have first grabs of course:
Fidanza 8.5lbs flywheel (I'll get this resurfaced when I get my oem one done)
OEM TCT for a rebuild
... thats all I can think of right now.
Most of the work is underway
Old 03-30-2013, 09:44 PM

Blix, I may be keen on a full engine gasket kit!

Sounds like you'll have fun with the build.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:03 PM

Spent some time over the long weekend getting the car ready for spring - mainly tidying up the rat's nest of wiring related to my aftermarket gauges that had accumulated in the past couple of years. Was made all the sweeter because I was listening to the Oilers broadcasts whilst doing the work...and they beat both Vancouver and Calgary...

Next - AP2 headlights and taillights!

Quick Reply: spring/summer car projects?